Time to Tear It Up & Start Again ! New Steam Layout Pla

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
DrStroganoff

Re: Time to Tear It Up & Start Again ! New Steam Layout Pla

Postby DrStroganoff » Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:20 pm

Well. here it is ! The maiden voyage of the EMU !

It cant go very far as theres not much track down yet ! I havent secured the roofs yet, which will explain any light bleeding...

{edit - yes, it derails on the points at the end of the video !}

Its a bit fiddly to handle. Its rather delicate ! Mumbles kindly sent me some micro plugs to connect the wires of the 2 cars, they were so fiddly to solder! I havent done them very well I'm afraid :oops: . But it seems to work.

Still plodding on with the layout, one step at a time.

I'm making my probe and stud control panel atm. Shall post a pic later on maybe!

DrStroganoff

Postby DrStroganoff » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:46 am

I've been on the sick from work yesterday and today, so I've had some time to work on a few little projects..

First the control panel, the left hand side will control the points of the station approach, and the right hand side will be for another area of the layout:

Just started this one this morning, an MTK kit of a Class 59:

The 59 came with nameplates for one of the Yeoman locos, so I'm going to paint it in 'old' Yeoman livery.

DrStroganoff

Postby DrStroganoff » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:08 pm

Sorry to keep bumping myself to the top! :lol:

i've been working hard on the layout today, having my first proper go at fitting point motors.

So heres a couple of snaps

I'm thinking of having one of the Bachmann Scenecraft 'modern servicing depot' (the huge one) at the back of the layout as a shed for the 2 multiple units.

Lights !

EMU rattling over the new pointwork

Very exciting shot... the 3 point motors I fitted this afternoon... yet to be wired to the control panel

Then after taking endless shots of the Coronation rake, I came to the conclusion that it would never all fit in a single photo. So I did a little video of it zooming past the camera !

:D

Now lets get back to that class 59 kit....

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:57 am

Good work fella. Splendid job on the EMU and nice work with the junction :)

Cheers

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

DrStroganoff

Postby DrStroganoff » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:20 pm

Hey guys.

I've been having a crack at using the airbrush for weathering today. So thought I'd post up a few pics of the results. All I've done is given them a 'once over' with a thin murky brown colour. Need to pick out some details next, maybe some whitish colour spills down the side of the boiler or something. I'll have to study some photos.

I'm also going to see what can be done with the old Hornby platforms, as it would be a bit costly to upgrade them to something fancier. So I'm planning on getting the airbrush on the platforms tomorrow and see what happens. Im thinking dark grey, with brick coloured sides and I'll spray a new white band on the edges.

Lastly, installed a CDU into the point control panel that I'm building. Judging by the photographs, do you guys think I am going about it correctly? I have no idea whether its actually going to work !! :?

Enjoy !

The top of the panel:

Underneath with new CDU:

Layout taking shape :

Weathering:

(Thought I best practise on a triang jinty first!)

So whaddya think of the paintjob? Should I attack the Super D with the muck tomorrow ?? :lol:

*Edit... I've just looked at the weathering photos.... not much of it is actually showing up on the camera! Just a subtle hint of weathering then...

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:57 pm

Wotcha, Gareth!

How goes the layout? And I have to say - I like the weathering. The golden rule thereof is "if you think it's too much, it is," so if you're questioning whether you've gone far enough, you're erring on the right side. I like the locos you've done so far: you've done just enough to add definition! Excellent stuff!

Gavin

DrStroganoff

Postby DrStroganoff » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:21 am

Hey there Gav.

Cheers for the comments re: the weathering. I likes it. I think the Duchess is about right, because I doubt the LMS would have let their big passenger locos get too filthy. Its a shame that it runs like somewhat of an erratic pig. I've cleaned it out a few times and oiled her up, but still very very jerky, not a consistent runner. Maybe the brushes need changing or something.

Layout wise, a mate pointed out that my stud/probe thing wont work because each point needs 2 studs ! One for each direction... now why didnt I notice that. So its back to square one this weekend and re-do the mimic diagram. I've got 6 motors now, so I might actually test them out over the weekend and see what all this fuss is about with these electrified points !

Progress is pretty slow compared to the last layout... I think I was starting the scenic work by now last time around !! Lets hope its worth all this patience I'm putting in !

DrStroganoff

Postby DrStroganoff » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:27 pm

Well I have just descended from loft in a fit of RAGE

I've been fixing point motors to the points... not wiring them up or anything... just putting them in place. Then I just went to drive a loco around and now 3 of the points have stopped working. The moving part in the middle of the point isnt touching the rail. I've just spent an hour loosening the point motors and making sure theres no obstructions. I cant fathom it. Really annoyed :(

I guess I'll take up the point motors tomorrow and see if the points work without them.,

***EDIT - Crisis over.... after a cuppa and a fag I decided to have another go... On one of them the motor was a fraction of a milimetre too far over to one side... and the other had a piece of cork wedged in it :oops: :oops:

:lol:

Happy days

DrStroganoff

Postby DrStroganoff » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:23 pm

Went to hobbycraft yesterday to get some gubbins for my airbrush, and some more foam risers.

So I've had the airbrush on the go this morning... took a bold step and took it to some of the nicer locos to dirty them up a bit... only slightly though, to highlight the detail.

The G2A:

West Country:

I think it would look good on the coronation... but if I did the loco I'd have to do the rake... and thats a bit of a big job to take on. So I'll leave that one for now.

On the layout front, my time has been mainly taken up by ballasting. On reflection I wish I'd used a finer grade of ballast. The locos are running well over it though. Still needs some fine cleaning up, and the rails painting.

I've nearly got the tracks all down, still havent got a continuous loop though. Not rushing things, taking my time.

:)

Graymee

Postby Graymee » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:42 pm

Hi Dr Strog,

Just spent a very enjoyable couple of hours reading your thread from the start! :D

I'm new to this and building a 6x4 at the minute but i'm just starting to look at possibilities in the loft, it seems that it is a similar design to yours, roof trusses wise anyway.

I would just like to say thanks for the inspiration :D The more i see what guys like you have done, the more i want to have a go at something bigger myself, some great modelling and very fast too! :wink:

Cheers

Graeme
Nostalgia ain't what it used to be!
My layout thread:-
Loxley Lane
I started another thread for trackplanning, if anyone is interested
My trackplan thread

DrStroganoff

Postby DrStroganoff » Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:57 pm

Thanks Graymee. I'm on my 4th layout since we moved into this house, less than 3 years ago. First one I did was a 6x4, then all around the edge of the loft... best for running long trains... But a 6x4 is a good way to start, pick up skills along the way etc... then tackle a big layout! Thanks for the comments, very encouraging :D

Things are coming along nicely in the loft.. I've actually got a continuous loop going on the inner/raised track, so the EMU has finally had a good running in !! The tenshodo bogie takes a few minutes to get warmed up, and then it goes quite nicely. Very satisfying to sit back and finally see my kit built EMU zooming around !!!

I decided that I'd need a big retaining wall to run pretty much the length of the layout, to front the raised area of the layout. Retaining wall kits are pretty expensive, so I decided to set about making some up cheaply... Lengths of balsa wood from hobbycraft... thin strip of balsa along the top.. then Metcalfe stone paper stuck on. Probably doesnt look as good as a kit, but a cost effective solution !! Im rather pleased with it actually (Pats self on back) :lol:

Still practising the weathering on the locos... some are coming out better than others.

Heres a few pics anyway... (this page is getting a bit clogged up with pics! apologies!)

Did a bit of weathering to the underframe of the EMU before it took to the tracks this afternoon, not really noticeable with the wall in the way !!

Bit heavier on the west country now:

Whoa, a bit too heavy on this one maybe?

I've taken the platforms away for lighting to be fitted, and ran out of cork tiles to fill in the gaps by here :

:)

sheep21

Postby sheep21 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:50 pm

Lovely progress there mate, the LMS Tank looks like its ready to be sent to Barry Scrap!! :lol:

Seriously though, the weathering on all of them looks great :)

trains!

Postby trains! » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:22 pm

Oooo you have started the narrow gauge? but must be great to be in your loft, trying work out which train is where :D .
Jake
Modelling Jakey's Junction!....
See here for my plan:
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=19546

Part of NRM'S officail freight masters
dudes club :cool:

ste234

Postby ste234 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:50 pm

Dr Strogg you should make like an overgrown but used siding to run that LMS tank, maybe a few heavily weathered trucks aswell :wink:
Cheers,
Ste.
'Springfield', N gauge Modern Era Layout

DrStroganoff

Postby DrStroganoff » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:06 pm

Thanks for the comments lads !

trains, I'm still trying to figure out where to have the 009 track. If there isnt room for it to be practical, then I may just lay a long stretch of the track down and make it look a bit overgrown/unused.

and ste234, great idea, I think I may weather up my LMS breakdown crane similar to the loco, and have them in a siding together.

I actually gave that 2-6-4 a good running tonight with the clerestory coaches. Love the smell of those old Dublo's when they get going !!

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”