Time to Tear It Up & Start Again ! New Steam Layout Pla

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
DrStroganoff

Re: Time to Tear It Up & Start Again ! New Steam Layout Pla

Postby DrStroganoff » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:18 pm

I nearly bid on a Bachmann Jinty in SDJR blue just now... just to one-up ya :P But I restrained. heh

Geo6606

Postby Geo6606 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:28 pm

i must say i love the new bachmann jinty. for some reason, it quite suits a short train of a bauxite cattle van plus two carmine cream gresley teaks, even if they are the wrong region :D

DrStroganoff

Postby DrStroganoff » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:39 pm

Been messing around with a video tonight to show off the new member of the fleet... enjoy !

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:42 pm

DrStroganoff wrote:Been messing around with a video tonight to show off the new member of the fleet... enjoy !

Oooh, pretty.... :)

G

sanctuary

Postby sanctuary » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:49 pm

Great Video but why the evolution band surely the Year Zero band would be a better choice, I'm waiting for their new album, I've heard it's release is being held up by railway construction work :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by sanctuary on Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tight Lines Aidan

Linka to Pawford Layout

DrStroganoff

Postby DrStroganoff » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:32 pm

sanctuary wrote:Great Video but why the evolution band surely the Year Zero band would be a better choice, I'm waiting for their new album, I've heard it's release is being held up by railway construction work :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: Yes the only tour the Year Zero band are concerned with at the moment is the NRM Van tour 3....

The Evolution Band is my silly experimental side project... The YZB has been on permanent vacation since we did a radio gig that didnt generate a single hit to our website :oops:

sheep21

Postby sheep21 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:53 am

love the music really good, oh, and the layouts okay too :lol:

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:40 pm

Hi Gareth

Thought you might like to see a Sleepers & Shunters factory unit installed on Starlingford!

Cheers,
Gavin

bsa77

Postby bsa77 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:06 pm

Great picture, but why on earth did Hornby decide to call a fire station a "fire engine station"? (Goes off in a fire service related strop!).

The scenery looks so good the eye doesn't notice the roof joist! Well done!

DrStroganoff

Postby DrStroganoff » Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:01 pm

Excellent photo Gav ! Nice to see the factory finally made it to the layout !!

How did those Javis Walls fit after ?

Also, Merry Christmas to everyone, I hope you all get some fancy Loco's tomorrow !!! :D

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:26 pm

The walls are good but I am going to need more than I anticipated - maybe another 10 or so...! :roll:

Have a great day tomorrow mate - I have high hopes for locos... :lol:

Cheers,
Gavin

DrStroganoff

Postby DrStroganoff » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:58 pm

Hey guys.

Thought I'd post up a few pics of a kit I'm building of a DC Kits 2HAL EMU. Its getting there, this is the first time I've done a kit that has some etched detailing. There wasnt that much really, just enough to be a bit daunting! Its far from perfect, I've kind of made up my own arrangement of the underframe components as I couldnt really fathom the instructions ! Just waiting for some whitemetal jumper cables to arrive for the cab ends, and then it will be ready for a coat or 2 of primer. Then its time to crack the new airbrush out and really mess it up :lol:

The roofs arent fixed yet as I've ordered some bits to have a crack at some interior lighting. Also the buffers arent fixed yet, the bodies are balancing on them !

Mumbles effort on his 4CEP impressed me so much I had to give one of these kits a go. Lets hope it turns out at least half as good as his :)

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:12 am

Looks a cracking job so far mate, although its a HAP not a HAL I think? the Hal has a rounded roof at the front
What livery you painting it.. Green ? [nice and easy to start with :D ] i used Precision enamel paints, thinned about 50:50

it looks like you have sanded or something around the hinges and handles.. good stuff, you need to make sure there is no glue on the sides as it shows up really badly when you get paint on the thing. a fibre glass pencil i found to be really useful for this

I'm just looking at some reference pics to see how accurate the kits are, they look very good.
there is one little details that you might want to change if your a stickler for things like this like me! nothing major, the guards doors don't have hinges as they open inwards

i must say you are inspiring me to get it together to build the 2ebb i have sat in the garage... and buy a bunch more!!

can't wait to see it painted
Michael

DrStroganoff

Postby DrStroganoff » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:53 am

It could well be a HAP rather than HAL ! Probably is in fact.

Ahh, re: no hinges on the drivers door.... that would explain why I ran out of hinges for the other doors about 3/4 the way through :oops: !!!

I dont really like handling it at the moment, all the door handles and hinges are so fragile. Will be glad when its varnished.

Everything I'd ordered turned up today except my piggin jumper cables ! typical. They are the ones that are holding me off priming it.. My lighting bits came, which I'll be fitting last. Along with a packet of Kadee's, which I havent tried before, but I'm assuming they'll look better than tension locks on this one.

I might just prime the roofs today, just so I've done something !!!

Right then, while I remember, I bought some pots of Humbrol/Hornby Rail colours the other day.... they are acrylics, and they had an illustration of an airbrush on them. Since then I've noticed that whenever someone is talking about painting their models they are using enamel paints with thinners.... Have I made a wrong purchase with my acrylics? And should I not use them in my airbrush ?

I still havent tried out the airbrush yet. Might have a practise on some wagons later.

DrStroganoff

Postby DrStroganoff » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:27 pm

Today the 2 cars have been primed, and have made a start on the interior lighting in one of the cars ! I'm quite impressed with my soldering skills tonight ! The roof has 2 strips of copper tape running down it, with LED's and resistors soldered to them, then 2 wires at each end, 2 to the motor bogie and 2 to the next carriage.

A bit bright maybe, but this is with the controller at full throttle, but because I'm going to be running on DC it wouldnt really be this bright.

Going to put the iron away for the night and have another go in the morning. :)

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”