Time to Tear It Up & Start Again ! New Steam Layout Pla

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
DrStroganoff

Time to Tear It Up & Start Again ! New Steam Layout Pla

Postby DrStroganoff » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:02 pm

In recent weeks my enthusiasm in the layout has been waning, so I decided it was time to re-think. So I'm tearing it up and start again. I've got a bit bored with all my Blue diesels, so I'm switching to steam. I've already gone out and bought a lovely Blue Coronation, and a Silver Jubilee A4 trainpack.

The layout is going to be a 2-level mainline / goods yard / terminus station. And a hidden gradient at each end of the layout to connect the 2 levels. I was originally planning to do a helix at each end, but I realised I dont have to go that far downwards.

Here is a sketch of the plan...

And here is what I've constructed today !

And it all worked ! First time ! So thats a good start in my books...

I'll keep you all posted on the happenings as they happen.... If your interested...

Paddy D

Postby Paddy D » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:13 pm

the helix
dun-dun-dun

Kens

Postby Kens » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:25 pm

Ah mate you had a great layout, im gutted your leaving the Blue's for steam i was looking forward to keeping updated with your progress. However if you were unhappy with it and as long as your happy with the route you have decided to take now then Good Luck with your plans they seem cool 8) Have Fun mate. :wink:

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:07 pm

I love the quality of your sketch - it lends so much more character than just a trackplan (not that I wouldn't mind seeing a trackplan too !). The terminus station with arched roof looks pretty grand. Look forward to seeing more ...

DrStroganoff

Postby DrStroganoff » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:03 am

Thanks for the comments guys.

I've been blasting through it on the weekend. Nearly got the track all laid out where I want it... I'm having a bit of trouble getting the outer line to cross over the other line.... hard to explain without diagrams !!

I think it might be time to have a stab at flexi-track. Can anyone recommend a good cutting tool ?

I'll post some photos tomorrow. I'm really excited about this project. Its gonna be a beast. :-)

0121modeller
Location: Erdington, Birmingham,.... but can also be found at various railway bridges !

cutting tools for tracks

Postby 0121modeller » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:23 am

I use 2 methods
1 XURON track shears, then using small flat file , file end,bottom & sides if needed.
2 razor saw,
both very good, dont be without 'em
Scratchbuilding 4mm scale JXA scrapwagons ; - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37620
Scratchbuilt & kit built grappler claw cranes ; - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=36342

davek

Postby davek » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:27 pm

Welcome to the 'rip it up and start again' club Dr.S!
Looking good.

DrStroganoff

Postby DrStroganoff » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:17 pm

Made some progress today. I've started making a new baseboard to accomodate the helix-style gradient at the other end of the layout. And been having a fiddle with the track-work in the main layout area...

Have realised I wont have room for a turntable, which is a bit disapointing, but nevermind. So instead I'll have a few sidings etc... maybe an engine shed.

Waiting for wood-glue to dry at the moment on my baseboard legs before I can get on with setting it up.... and running my new hornby caledonian single set I got today :oops: :P

This shows the station area (*the pub represents the station building at the moment*)

Showing some of the new trackwork

Bought some wire-mesh that im going to put along the side of the high-level line and cover with mod roc etc... should be good !

Paddy D

Postby Paddy D » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:49 pm

thts going tobe a great layout

DrStroganoff

Postby DrStroganoff » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:59 pm

I couldnt resist getting the new caledonian out for a spin.

I made a bit of a mis-calculation of what track I needed at the model shop today, so I cant complete the new gradient trackwork tonight. Will have to wait for now !

Really impressive paint job on the Caledonian.

The new bit

santene

Postby santene » Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:43 am

somehard work going on there
proud modeller jake also known as Duke Jake the Bewildered of Mousehole by Sea :D

anyone got n gauge track i can buy

DrStroganoff

Postby DrStroganoff » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:32 pm

Indeed there is !

Got the track I needed to finish off one of the loops today, so we now have continuous running on one line !

Also started the hillside today, but ran out of mod-roc :-(

Can someone suggest a good base-colour to paint the mod-roc ? I was thinking brown, and then build up the green scatter over it. I painted it green last time and everything looked really dark green. :?

DriffCharlie

Postby DriffCharlie » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:04 pm

I would go for various shades of brown, and use some brown scatter too, some of those "hills" look a bit steep for grass to grow on :?:

HTH

Charlie

DrStroganoff

Postby DrStroganoff » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:21 pm

Thanks for the advice DriffCharlie. I have had a few hours at it today... Painted the modroc brown and covered with brown scatter... placed a few pieces of cork bark and some bushes and stuff. Its coming together really nicely, Gonna have a good crack over the next few days providing all my supplies arrive in the post !

Todays Progress :

Chuffer Chuff

Postby Chuffer Chuff » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:37 pm

The layout is progressing well I must say! You have done a good job with the modroc and I love that Coronation locomotive! :wink: I have the same one!

I do however get some contact problems with it from time to time with those electrical wires from the tender which are tiny! :? I'm sure you know what I mean!
"You only get one chance in life, so make the most of it!"

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”