Aslanvale, N Gauge

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
NGaugeJames

Aslanvale, N Gauge

Postby NGaugeJames » Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:51 pm

Hello all,

I've already had some good advice from here, so I thought I post some pictures of where I'm up to. More to follow soon I hope, if you want to visit the blog and comment on any ideas I'm having, please feel free!

Baseboards are done and I'm just waiting for pay day before I order a load of stuff from Hattons.

The baseboards, on the day they were built.

I later added another board to hold a Dynamis and a Gaugemaster PCU1

The layout in storage in the wardrobe, not sure how to hold them apart yet! :shock:

Underside of the boards, showing construction.

Paddy D

Postby Paddy D » Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:12 pm

seems good to go

mmurnin900

Postby mmurnin900 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:37 pm

clever storage. Might I suggest 4 flat corners, with just scatter on them. the just 4 bits of 2X4 put into hold them apart
Matthew
LFC We've still got 5

NGaugeJames

Postby NGaugeJames » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:48 am

Update:

Have made some major progress over the last few days. :D

Storage is sorted, it all fits in very snugly.

Track laying underway.

Point motors installed and colour coded.

All the visible track is laid on the first board.

More photos on the blog...all comments welcome![/img]

NGaugeJames

Postby NGaugeJames » Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:15 pm

Hmmm, I've abandoned Photobox and moved to Photobucket. Am I being stupid or can I not edit my post above?

Anyway, here are the pics that should have been in above:

Layout in storage, now with the boards held apart.

First track down!

Point motors all wired up and colour coded.

Track laying on the first board done - well except for the fiddle yard!

Also some of my new stock...

Grafar Southwest Trains DMU

Grafar Freightliner Class 66

Grafar 04 and 08. This 08 will eventually be replaced with another in a more modern livery.

NGaugeJames

Postby NGaugeJames » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:13 pm

More work done today. I hope people are reading, I've got a lot of good advice from hear already so I'd love to hear what people think!

All the trackwork is now down. Point motors still need to go in on the board nearest the camera (the quarry section I'm calling it!) The three tracks to the left of this pic make up the fiddle yard. I haven't put extra sleepers in any of the track joins yet.

I've decided to reinstate the quarry feeder line which was in Freezer's Yeoman's Acre plan, but I'll use normal N gauge rather than narrow gauge for it. I'll raise this up on it's own baseboard above the others, should make for more interesting viewing.

The join in the baseboards. It works quite well. One board has warped slightly since construction and the installation of my alignment dowels, making it ever so slightly lower. I'll build up the trackbed here ever so slightly I think (paper for now!) I also need to wire the join using a pluggable terminal strip.

View of the fiddle yard and quarry section. Freezer's plan uses a kick-back fiddle yard, but that was when the plan was in OO. In N (and on slightly wider boards than originally called for) I can get the same fiddle yard on this board without the kick-back. This leaves more room on the other board for scenic work.

olliereading1123

Postby olliereading1123 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:20 pm

llokin good, can't wait to see this layout develop
Bespoke layout construction and design, http://thefiddleyard.webs.com/

engineer dave

Postby engineer dave » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:38 pm

Yep, looks nice.

I'm working on a quarry myself so I'll be following your progress for inspiration!
My N Gauge Quarry Layout - Trecarreg viewtopic.php?t=14555

Money Talks.....It mostly says "Goodbye!"

santene

Postby santene » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:43 pm

lookin good
proud modeller jake also known as Duke Jake the Bewildered of Mousehole by Sea :D

anyone got n gauge track i can buy

heinz

Postby heinz » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:14 pm

Looking fantastic mate!

Love the way the layout breaks down into storage!

Look foward to more :D

NGaugeJames

Re: Aslanvale, N Gauge

Postby NGaugeJames » Sat May 03, 2008 10:14 pm

Lots of progress in recent days...thanks for the nice comments so far!

This is the layout tonight. I couldn't resist using the extra space that I had on the boards and so have embellished Freezer's plan considerably! I've added a second level that is going to take a preserved line, sharing its station with the modern line. This gave me the chance to have my turntable (which works brilliantly!) and also lets me run some steam locos with very short trains as you would find on this type of line. I've also added the quarry feeder on a third high level. I may add a shuttle to this. It'll run 'off stage' through a tunnel and return every now and again to bring aggregates to the large (scratch built) quarry terminal building. For interest there's a single point running off to a little engine shed.

The preserved line has a two track fiddle yard which sits above the main fiddle yard. This means that access to the lower fiddle yard will be interesting, but not impossible!

I've also built the bridge to hide the baseboard join. I've run some concrete sleeper track over it to simulate a modern fast line. I'm going to have some kind of engineering work going on here to justify nothing running!

Because of all the extra track, I was a little limited on the scenic front, so I've built an extra small board to take the village of Aslanvale itself. This photo also shows the control panel board at the side.

Finally, here's my Freightliner 08...a snip at nearly £60. Not.

guitardave_1

Postby guitardave_1 » Sun May 04, 2008 10:42 am

That looks excellent. I'm looking forward to seeing the scenic side of things develop around all that trackwork. So much different stuff going on!

Is the turntable a Peco one? I've recently added a turntable into my track plan, and was planning on buying the Peco version. Is it simple to fit and wire up?

NGaugeJames

Postby NGaugeJames » Sun May 04, 2008 12:46 pm

Hi Dave,

I am extremely impressed by the peco turntable. I owned a hornby turntable when I was younger and working in OO and had no end of trouble with it. The Peco turntable is extremely well designed and went in with no trouble. I'm planning on adding the Frizinghall mechanical operation kit to it asap, it's just hand operated at present.

NGaugeJames

Postby NGaugeJames » Thu May 22, 2008 10:15 pm

Not much has changed visually, but I'm 90% there with the wiring. It's been a hard slog. There are 6 isolating sections and 5 controllers, giving independent control of the quarry area, the quarry feeder, the station (both lines) and the preserved line. I can also join the quarry to the station controls meaning I can run things from one end to the other.

The control panel. One of the controllers is missing as it was being used to run in...

...my new Grafar Green Arrow.

The turntable is now mechanically operated using a Frizinghall kit, it works very well and hasn't derailed anything yet!

As it's an end-to-end, running in is tricky, so I bought a circle of Peco set-track. Also shown here is a B&Q storage box I bought for storing rolling stock...it's extremely sturdy and was a bargainous £12.

Green Arrow sits at what will be one of the preserved platforms.

And finally the wiring: there's well over 100m of wire on a 2m x 1m layout, KNEW I should have gone DCC! I highly recommend colour coding, I would be in a real mess if I hadn't.

DrStroganoff

Postby DrStroganoff » Thu May 22, 2008 10:45 pm

Wow, thats one well constructed layout you have there. The quality of the woodworking looks excellent !!!

Nice electrical set up too, your obviously a well organised guy ! I have wires spilling out everywhere !

When do you see yourself starting scenic work? I'm looking forward to seeing pics of the progress !

Also we used to have one of those grafar 04's, great detail for such a little model !

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”