Oxley Central......

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
thesludge

Oxley Central......

Postby thesludge » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:41 pm

Well, after much help and reading on here, I kind of got a finished plan (just need it knocking up in xtrkcad if anyone can help please) The layout will be 10ft x 4ft and will be housed in the loft once i move next weekend. That means i will then build all my baseboards etc etc

Its in N gauge and well, as I am from Wolverhampton, the only apt name I could think of was Oxley then I thought I'd call it Oxley Central 8)

Ive taken some pictures as I planned the layout on some cheap lining paper from BQ. The flexi track of 22 peices and 6 sheds I got today for £30!!!

See what you think, and of course anything you could advise me on would be appreciated. Like I say id really appreciate it if anyone could create it proffessionally so I know what other peices to buy.

The rolling stock shed as pictured will have the TMD in front of it just behind the line as it curves around. The main station comprising of 2 platforms and a footbridge will also be situated there with 3 lines serving the platforms and a "middle" road for freight traffic.

As you come out of the depot and around, on the right will be a kind of quarry with some hopper style things there and loads of like gravel/stine heaps whereby I am hoping to incorperate some class 59 Foster Yeomans. Heading around the track will be i guess what you will call a fiddle yard for me stock once i buy some :oops:

Behind those sidings will be the station entrance with the road going to a retail park in the end large curvature with a bridge going over the track. i have really thought hard about all of this, and I hope that maybe I am not being too ambitious for a first time project.

As I say any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. thanks for reading, and I'll keep you updated on progress as it happens.

I hope it makes sense LOL and that you have a rough idea what i am on about :oops:

peak

Postby peak » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:44 pm

Seems quite a bold plan.
I look forward to your progress.
In the 70's and 80's I used to pop up to Oxley carriage sidings to try and cop some Bescot shunter's etc
2 trains, 2 railroad tracks, one going the other one coming back. Click Clack, Click Clack.
Regards
Andy

http://www.brblue.co.uk

thesludge

Postby thesludge » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:59 pm

aint been there for years and years. theres a few electrics stored there at the moment.

glad you like-yes i think is bold meself :oops:

thesludge

Postby thesludge » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:38 pm

hi all. I hope you are all well.

No real update tbh, other than i have finally moved house 2 weeks ago. Ive bought some radius track and thats it.

Ive seen my new loft and umm err, it seems i may have a huge problem in creating what i want as the design of the loft isnt what i thought it would be.

thesludge

Re: Oxley Central......

Postby thesludge » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:18 pm

well after 2 years here i am back again......and what have i done? NOTHING!!! :oops: Shortlly after moving in, found out my partner was pregnant and well due to that have so busy with work and nappy changing lol!!!! Anyway we had a little boy who is now 2 believe it or not and well beacuse of that i am more determined to do this now for him.

Sadly i deleted my layout plans by mistake as you can see by the photobucket link, so looks like i will have to go back to the drawing board before i can start. I have over the loast 2 years bought plenty of track and accessories etc and have the board also.

So, hopefully i can really get things under way this time!!!

0121modeller
Location: Erdington, Birmingham,.... but can also be found at various railway bridges !

Postby 0121modeller » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:55 pm

I've made a couple of false starts myself due to one thing or other, good to hear you've still retained the enthusiasm for modelling :D

I very much like the Oxley/Wolverhampton area for its rail lines & canals.
There are a couple of nice brick viaducts, plenty of girder bridges, & a couple of disused link lines & of course the old rail route near oxley that served from W'hampton low level to Brettal lane via wombourne, so plenty of modelling options to choose.
The steel terminal nearby gives a good reason to possibly include that sort of freight.

I had a venture into N gauge myself, but changed my mind & I returned to my 00 unfinshed project, however, I still like to follow large N gauge projects especially if its based on the black country area, so I'll be watching your progress :)

Dave.
Scratchbuilding 4mm scale JXA scrapwagons ; - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37620
Scratchbuilt & kit built grappler claw cranes ; - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=36342

thesludge

Postby thesludge » Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:55 pm

cheers Dave.

Yes thats what i thought tbh exactly as you mentioned, canals, viaducts etc

just got to get a new design together...........

87 101

Postby 87 101 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:50 pm

Sounds like an intresting project looking forward to seeing this devlop. :wink:

thesludge

Postby thesludge » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:56 pm

thanks dave, was good to "speak" via email.

Here is my rough layout-forgive the hand drawing :oops: The board is 6ftx3ft I have 2 drawings, this is the first to see what peeoples views are

Its a combination of
Wolverhampton station
Oxley Rolling Stock depot
Bescot TMD

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee27 ... /001-1.jpg

**improvements and recommendations appreciated

Will post 2nd design up shortly

thesludge

Postby thesludge » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:18 pm

and the 2nd rough drawing :oops:

**improvements and recommendations appreciate

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee27 ... /002-1.jpg

thesludge

Postby thesludge » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:39 pm

the first drawing looks like this on the board. Arguably theres a lot of space, and well given i have no buildings yet, its a bit to get the concept of how big/small something is.

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee27 ... G_0799.jpg
Last edited by thesludge on Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thesludge

Postby thesludge » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:14 pm

no-one?? :(

midlandsmodeller

Postby midlandsmodeller » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:28 pm

Looks a good plan. One sugestion from me would be perhaps you could change the bottom yard a bit to make it more interesting than just a line of points. Other than that looks good!

I see you're up the road from me, in Wednesbury

Adam

thesludge

Postby thesludge » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:31 pm

midlandsmodeller wrote:Looks a good plan. One sugestion from me would be perhaps you could change the bottom yard a bit to make it more interesting than just a line of points. Other than that looks good!

I see you're up the road from me, in Wednesbury

Adam

yes i agree-did think about modelling that area on the Birmingham frieghtliner depot???

You in wednesbury as well then ?

midlandsmodeller

Postby midlandsmodeller » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:37 pm

yer that could be an idea.

Im in Wolverhampton half the time, in stourbridge the rest.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”