Rheilffordd Cilcewydd - Croeso! Welcome!

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
HenryBlue

Re: Rheilffordd Cilcewydd - Croeso! Welcome!

Postby HenryBlue » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:17 pm

ahh good, cheers for the info. dont laugh but what i used to want to do is sorta make a layout with a quay or a river going through it with a fishtank connected to it so the fish can also swin around in the layout section, then block off the side of the river so that the water doesnt spill (oviously) and use pond liner/bin liner stuff between the board and the muck and foliage. a little waterproof 'petish' dream that sorta sounds to daft to think about these days, but everyone us entitled to their own opinion.

Did you make any progress on your treasle bridge? (did i spell it right? :oops: ) because Im planning to build one on my own 1ft by 7ft layout and i need a backup for ideas and someone to show me they ropes... or supports :P
[center]Image[/center]

Blaqkaudio009

Postby Blaqkaudio009 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:40 am

not yet but that will be soon cuz ive nearly finished the station area, the river is next

HenryBlue

Postby HenryBlue » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:08 pm

so, have you done much in the last week to the first station?
[center]Image[/center]

santene

Postby santene » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:44 pm

Blaqkaudio009 wrote:the river is next
proud modeller jake also known as Duke Jake the Bewildered of Mousehole by Sea :D

anyone got n gauge track i can buy

HenryBlue

Postby HenryBlue » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:46 pm

Blaqkaudio009 wrote:not yet but that will be soon cuz ive nearly finished the station area
[center]Image[/center]

Blaqkaudio009

Postby Blaqkaudio009 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:26 pm

ive done a bit of landscaping, ive mod-roc-ed up to the halt and siding, just waiting to get to charlies for more hanging basket liner and glue and ill make a start on it, and because the bed of the river has been mod-roc-ed, i can finish the bridge as a next job, still got the car park to do though! im going to moming '08 narrow gauge exhibition at Telford on sunday so that should bring some scenery stuff and hopefully a few more carriages!

dr5euss

Postby dr5euss » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:35 am

Last edited by dr5euss on Sun May 22, 2016 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blaqkaudio009

Postby Blaqkaudio009 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:26 pm

Update - Bridging the gap..

as the station area is nearly drawing to completion, with just the car park and end bit of the platform to finish, i drew my attention to the landscape, as its near the sea, and there was going to be a caravan site, the plan is for it to stay fairly flat until the halt and after that it will climb up on the hillside. i got the mocroc order so there was no reason why i couldnt start. ive layed down the MR up to the halt so far and will work on this before doing any more, this will HOPEFULLY keep me working on one area at a time,and HOPEFULLY mean i will get the layout done in a more organised way, also i can avoid the 'oh crap theres way to much jobs to be done' route,
so this is the modroced area so far:
anyone got tips on using static grass? i dont really wanna pay for the machine thing!

also this have forced me towards finishing the bridge, in these photos it is in the basic first brown watercolor, but i shall be detailing and of coarse weathering it tonight which im looking forward to!
guess where the insperation came from!!!

ive also finished with the ballast loads in the yard:

and added a bit of a grassy area:

these photos are all yellowish as you can probably guess i took them at night with the lamp on,

next jobs are the car park and to finish the sand, after that i can put a layer of varnish down and then start filling the sea up with realistic water! better look for some boats soon!

zarniwhoop

Postby zarniwhoop » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:05 pm

anyone got tips on using static grass? i dont really wanna pay for the machine thing!
I think the advice on using a puffer bottle is somewhere on the main site here, ah yes:http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Scenery/Grass.htm#static-grass.

All I can really add to that is to make sure you half-fill the puffer, it work's much better like that than with only a few fibres, and to reinforce the "neat pva glue" comment - I have some Noch 'graskleber' (adhesive) which is supposedly for doing this but is actually a dilute PVA and didn't want to hold the fibres upright.

Practice makes perfect, but the biggest problem is getting the right shades of green for the area and season you are trying to model ;-)

ĸen

Blaqkaudio009

Postby Blaqkaudio009 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:12 pm

well i tried that last time, the guy from the place i went to said not to use glue cuz it swamps the fibres, but to use paint, but i tried that on the last layout and it all flops down and looks crap

zarniwhoop

Postby zarniwhoop » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:58 pm

Use pva, spread it out with a piece of card (you don't want a thick layer catching the light after it has dried - been there, done that), then wait a little while until it just starts to go tacky. Probably depends a little on what length of fibres you are using - ISTR short fibres can go on immediately, but longer fibres might need a bit more adhesion.

The other thing you can try with long fibres is rubbing a few of them between your fingers, then planting them into the pva - if they fall over, it isn't sticky enough! That also works quite well as a general method of adding a small amount of long grasses.

ĸen

olliereading1123

Postby olliereading1123 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:33 pm

we wait ages for an update....

....and it wa sooooo worth it, good job mate it's really taking shape.
Bespoke layout construction and design, http://thefiddleyard.webs.com/

HenryBlue

Postby HenryBlue » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:19 pm

The layout is really coming to shape, i love it, your making great progress with the hills, Seeing your Dolgoch on your layout make it look amaizing, i want one :P it looks magic

Was the bridge time consuming to build? it looks brilliant the way you have done it, are you going to have grass/weeds in the crack and inbetween the boards? would look really cool. just do anything that comes to mind to make it seem worn for the best realistic effect.

Your station wharf looks brilliant, no-matter what light you have it in it just looks so realistic. so lighting for photos isnt a problem ;)
[center]Image[/center]

Blaqkaudio009

Postby Blaqkaudio009 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:57 pm

thankyou very much for the replies! im glad you like it!

henry the bridge actually didnt take long at all, or atleast it didn't seem that long! ive weathered it with the powders(bit more to do yet though), but will add vegetation later on.
these were just taken to show you the weathering, modelled by the prince of wales, how lucky!:

HenryBlue

Postby HenryBlue » Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:34 pm

I still love the weathering, it s worth having an orgy over :P nah lol

i really like how it turned out.

so hows the layout been doing since and will the caravan have trees growing around the site blocking people from having nice views?... like the real caravan sites :P

i like your Prince Of Wales model, did you get the model off ebay or from parkside dundas? before Chivers Went bust till September :evil:
Last edited by HenryBlue on Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[center]Image[/center]

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”