MARSHFIELD WITH ELY BRIDGE: **final update**

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
SouthernBoy

Re: RETRO's 'OO' LAYOUT: ELY BRIDGE: DCC 1970s BR

Postby SouthernBoy » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:39 pm

I've missed your last few updates Retro, just catching up:
Love the 'Larry Car', that's a real impressive bit of kit in both senses of the word, also the 'Quench Truck' - that's two new terms I've learned today and will have to go investigate on Wikipedia or somewhere :)

That's definitely an interesting an unusual area in development there. Look forward to seeing more.

I also like your Kestrel. I'm not a diesel fan but do recognise good design when I see it :)

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:38 pm

Hi Dave,

Some cracking photographs there friend, really inspirational stuff.

If you get a few minutes would you mind commenting on a couple of things about your Kestrel and Falcon?

Firstly what's the directional lighting like under DCC, I am sure they must both have it fitted as standard but is it any good?

Also, what's the performance like for them, I know from experience that Helan's are amazingly smooth but prior to shelling out over 100 quid on a loco I'd love your opinion.

Many thanks,

Gav.
Watford FC For Me Since 1976

retroman

Postby retroman » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:08 pm

Hi everyone, Happy New Year! :D

I am still alive .... I've been wiring up points on the steelworks side of the layout, which is not very interesting, to say the least.

You might recall that the depot is 'sort-of' modelled on Ebbw Junction ...

However my shed was the PIKESTUFF kit, which looks nothing like the original ...

That's why the superb BACHMANN SCENECRAFT loco shed had to be purchased. I can't believe how good it looks, even though not yet lit internally or bedded in ....

1980s 50 and 37 basher. English Electric Roadie ....... Steam sniffers, move along please.

My Layout: MARSHFIELD WITH ELY BRIDGE
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=14241

jamest

Postby jamest » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:59 pm

Hi,

It seems that half of the posts here are heaping praise on you and your layout, and so they should! I hope you are as proud as we are impressed!
I love this era too and although I'm not a train 'expert' your pictures really pull me in - its easy to forget you are looking at a layout.

Now I've buttered you up :P ...Could I ask where your long girder bridge on the high level track comes from? (apologies if you've already answered).

All the best,
James

retroman

Postby retroman » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:21 pm

Hi James, the bridge is a selection of MARKLIN kits bashed together. Thanks for the comments.
1980s 50 and 37 basher. English Electric Roadie ....... Steam sniffers, move along please.

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:47 pm

Good call - that depot has heaps more detail and character than the previous one. I think it was made with you in mind :)

Road Stone

Postby Road Stone » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:50 am

That shed does look good. Off I go to see how much it costs!!

Cheers, Jerry.
I know Nothing!

Beep55

Postby Beep55 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:29 pm

Some of the bachmann scenecraft items I have seen are really good. One I did consider purchasing was that engine shed. Would be great if you could gang a few together to make a coach shed :) Although.... having something that looks the part certainly does put a small hole in your wallet :D

jamest

Postby jamest » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:59 pm

Hi again,

Thanks for the info on the bridge - I've found it on the web for £23 ish for the main 'arched' body. I'll definately be investing in that - hopefully it'll look as good as yours.

Cheers,
James

retroman

Postby retroman » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:18 pm

To aleviate the boredom of wiring up pointwork, I've done a bit in the former goods yard at MARSHFIELD, which is now a run-down permanent way depot. This will eventually be a weed-ridden and neglected looking area.

I've found some old HORNBY platform canopies which have been primed and sited over the subway at the station. They look pretty good, even though they are 30 years old.

Overall view of the PW depot. The line between the JCB and the workmen is the frieght loop / access road to the steelworks.

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:27 pm

That's going to be a neat area once you've got all that weeding and dereliction done ... I like the converted blue container, and the stacked portacabins (in the distance in the last picture).

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:04 am

OMG, this is the first time I've seen this thread and I must echo many other people by telling you that this layour is awesome. I can't wait to see the second side completely finished and I won't even guess how much the total cost of the layout has been, (without rolling stock or with). :lol:

NSE DAZ

Postby NSE DAZ » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:11 am

Wow this layout looks stunning 8) love the effect that you have given the Peco platform edging, how was this achieved :?:

Keep up the good work and updates

Darren
Unleashing the toothpaste livery!!!Thank you for travelling Network SouthEast

retroman

Postby retroman » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:41 am

Thanks for the comments

The platform edging are PECO. I've simply painted them grey and weathered with watercolours.

I've had a short break from the PW yard to finally chip my model of KESTREL. Here she is on the main line.

It's not a perfect model ... horrendous to get into to install the chip, I don't like the horns and the headcode is too bright. It's also crying out to be weathered as that grey roof looks ridiculous. However ... isn't it a beauty? It runs superbly, weighs a ton and looks GREAT.

Here is the now-completed PW yard. 33019 passes on a Portsmouth-Cardiff.

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:11 pm

Hi Dave

Great pics as ever. I do like that model of Kestrel. It'sd a veritable icon! :lol:

I must also commend you on the use of the old cannopies. Naturally, I expect nothing but the highest standards from you these days mate, lol, but even so, that yard really is starting to look the nuts! :D

Cheers fella

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”