Horsted Keynes OO, - Captain Baxter Kit available.

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:49 pm

Thank you, Yes had to do it on the very cheap, i hope for future it will be upgraded a little, some newer loco's and some other coaches.

So far most of the rolling stock is off ebay, as before i only had 2 coaches.

some other cheap info.. the name boards of the station, are made of lolly sticks and match sticks and painted green.. erm the second extension station canopy are just made of card. I Scanned the Card kit and printed it to size on my pc. glued the printed kit on to card and made another canopy. Thats help up with match sticks also.

I brought a new loco the other day as mine are years old! Lot of things have changed and not just the prices haha!

rogACE

Postby rogACE » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:47 am

looks lovely matt,
i am just starting my southern layout oo

will eirher do bmth west or exter central

i have about 10 x 6 to play with...

your buildings look nice, very southern

i am no good at kits etc so am looking for ready made stuff suitable for southern incl signals

i can paint though! kit/diy modelling isnt my strong point

i have loadsa stock now and just getting the layout plans finished a layout builder to do the baseboards for me...

looking forward to seeing more pix matt :lol:
BULLEID IS BEST,
any help with modelling OO seaton Jct. exeter central or bournemouth west post-war br/sr steam would be cool, thanks!

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:34 pm

hey thanks for the comments.

That sounds cool i wish you luck on that!

Iv always like building kits and things, card kits im on with, plastic kits also ok probably not great though!

Its not hard really its just patients and time to sit down and do it.

I have done some alterations to my layout since some of you have seen it.

Last week I took a decison, at the far end of my layout the track comming off the main board and running along the wall was a very sharp curve.

I dont have many big Loco's But i found a problem when i brough a longer wheel base Tank engine, believe its called a Jinty.

The sharpness of the bend was de-railing this new engine, and found the bend was too tight, So i moved the points back, and made the curve less right with normal bits of track you can buy instead of using flexi track.

Plus I Added some tress also :)

This is the new less sharp bend, as you can see not quite finished as some of the track is not actually on the base board, Il sort that out tomorrow!

cheers

mattmay05

Some more progress + pics

Postby mattmay05 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:28 am

I finished tree planting for today, so i set about improving the hornby signals. Seeing as they were broken when i got them anyway.

basicly i took the metal weight off the bottom, cut off the little clip. I taped off the top of the signal and spray painted th bottom black.

I then drilled a hole i think 6 mm, filled with glue and placed the signal in, looks alot better to me, bit more real.

i also added the brick effect to the bridge rite a the other end.

Here you can see the mock bridge, future extension on the cards hehe

I have since modded the signal to the Right to make it lower.

Any comments + suggestions welcome!

mattmay05

Some more progress + pics

Postby mattmay05 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:29 am

The point motors also need to be installed and wired up! I hope soon!

rogACE

Postby rogACE » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:08 am

all looks great
the signals look much better now
btw where did u gt the signal box/platforms and the awnings from,
they look very southern and very like ilfracombe!
http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/stat ... dex6.shtml
http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/stat ... ex20.shtml

heres some of my stock...
http://img223.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img5382fh0.jpg

i am really having to rethink my rather ambitious plans for exeter central,
its not so much money its space lol!

i am now thinking maybe iso to do ilfracombe which can make a nice busy interesting terminus with lotsa of carriage sidings to show off my stock then have just one line going off...time to sit down with pens and paper...

i am in london w2 so i may join the london mrc in kings cross... :lol: :lol:
BULLEID IS BEST,
any help with modelling OO seaton Jct. exeter central or bournemouth west post-war br/sr steam would be cool, thanks!

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:14 pm

hey Thanks

Yes signals are an improvement have to do these things when your on a budget!

Yes i know what you mean most layouts do take up alot of room, I did have another layout in mind when i built this, and it was an actual terminus, but i decided not to because the rolling stock and locomotives were hard to get hold of. and expensive!!

the station + canopy was a card kit, got some help from a friend of mine, I brought 2 of these station building kits, as like you they look I think southern, think it was superquick card kits!

The signal box i got on ebay, still have the box.. its aPO233 00/HO gauge signal box kit by Metcalfe, I brought this at was similar to the one at the bluebell railway, only difference is the steps are on the wrong side. Also includes 2 line side huts.

Nice models and easy to construct as the instruction are very clear.

You have some nice stock there obviously a Pacific loco fan hey! Have got 2 on my buying list when money becomes avalible.

rogACE

Postby rogACE » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:18 pm

yes the card kits look really nice
have always liked them but i am hopeless to build card kits...

i'll have to commision someone to make me lol !!

my stock is 4 bulleids (2 rebuilt) and 2 king arthurs and an N class

the N is really sweet (its weathered too)

these are all authentic southern steam for anywhere really west of london,

i want to get a T9 and an M7 tank, these again are anywhere in the west-country in the 1950's for local and branch line trains as is the N class.

and i'll get a std br 4mt tank and an ivatt tank too later...
the lord nelson and schools are coming out too this year grrrrr
i cant keep spending....

the southern coaching stock u can get now is brilliant and the pullmans too
( for the devon or bournemouth belles)
you can get parcels vans now cct/maunsell and GUV's

so us southern freaks are having afield day :lol:

fyi
modelzone in holborn had hornby southern maunsell 'style' br green coaches going very cheap if yer interested...
i think i saw some on yr layout
they are not true maunsells like the new ones but if yer on abudget they look ok...
BULLEID IS BEST,

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:33 pm

haha yes sounds like me and guitars accept they commison me to make them ha! Thank god thats finished!

Yes most of the stock you have there are on my list, i went mad on ebay buying up old southern hornby coaches must of annoyed a few people as i kept buying them! ended up with 8 in total, and 3 odd ones.

Yes M7 tank is another down there i have on my list love those type of engines!

Yes southern rolling stock has certainly improved since i started model railway things!

Thanks for the Tip off on modelzone! I was in holborn last weekend should be around that area again this weekend, so i'l take a look!

cheers!

mattmay05

Re: A Layout based on a Southern Type station.

Postby mattmay05 » Thu May 15, 2008 10:41 pm

hi folks

very small update...

i have tidied up the wiring underneth the board wired all the point moters, now all i need is the money so i can make my control unit. For now those i have wired up my lights...

Plus i just took some general pictures around the layout.

enjoy :-)

rogACE

Postby rogACE » Fri May 16, 2008 7:23 am

looks great
very atmospheric :)
BULLEID IS BEST,

02_tank_buff

Postby 02_tank_buff » Sat May 24, 2008 8:02 am

Nice layout!
Like that fact i is southern, not GWR!!!
Last edited by 02_tank_buff on Mon May 26, 2008 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Sun May 25, 2008 5:42 pm

Hi Matt

Just caught up with the thread fella and I have to say it's a pleasure to view it :)

I still can't get over how well you have disguised the Hornby signals. They really look terrific! I like the stock you have accumulated too.

Cheers mate

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Tue May 27, 2008 12:34 pm

Thanks guys

Yes the locos are now getting old had them since i was 8. Only one is brand new and thats the LMS Jinty.

All the coaches bar 2 are from ebay.

Yes our old Hornby signels! lol it was a pleasure sawing the bottom off them lol
I hope to do the same with one may be 2 more in future, all depends on money!

So far I've basiclly been making sure the track all works and the power is constant, as iv had some issues in the past weeks.

I seem to have most problems running over points, when the loco gets to the plastic instulator part, it either is ok over them or stutters to a hault.... Is there anyway to get this smoother? Its mainly when the train is running straight when the points are changed to curve away theres no problem..

I'm using Peco Points btw.

Soon i hape to add small improvements to the layout mainly small details like water stations at the end of the Platforms, Water tower, and 2 other signels.

Thank for the comment on the signels Tim, It was an idea to make them look a tad more real as there is a budget most were broke when they got here anyway! So i worked with it. I often use a similar approach to building guitars... work with what i got... sometimes works sometimes doesn't, But glad you like them!

cheers matt

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Tue May 27, 2008 12:55 pm

mattmay05 wrote: I often use a similar approach to building guitars... work with what i got... sometimes works sometimes doesn't, But glad you like them!

Don't suppose you fancy fixing my old acoustic do you, Matt? ;)

I've got one or two old Hornby ones myself. Might give it a go :)

Cheers

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”