Horsted Keynes OO, - Captain Baxter Kit available.

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
mattmay05

Re: Horsted Keynes OO, - Captain Baxter Kit available.

Postby mattmay05 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:29 am

Its been a while, but I actually have a layout update rather than rolling stock...

2 months ago I was messaged by Hornby Magazine... which had been a while coming as it was due to go in during 2010 / 2011... sadly it never happened due to various things... How ever Mike Wild messaged me over Facebook and we started to arrange things to get started... so photo session booked for next week meant I had some work to do to try and get the layout looking better, and show some improvement since the last time as most of the improvement is really locomotives and rolling stock so I decided to go a bit further...

As there also maybe a chance to get some video footage taken in the future by a mag, I took the decision to pull up most of the track through the station as this had failed with rust pitted in the surface as it was steel and not nickel silver... so that went in the bin, along with a number of points which I had issues with, luckily due to my model building network I was given most of the track for nothing which helped massively.

So all I had to do was relay track and build the new bits for the layout.
- New track work
- New foot crossings
- New station lighting
- Improved line side detailing
- Re-build outside section

So the work started at the end of May while I was back for the Railex exhibition, in this first week I had replaced the outside section improving the curve so hopefully bigger models can run, and also make it stronger than before.
Also in this week I removed point motors to service them and check and replace if needed.
By the end of the week I had replaced all the track work I was going to... so 3 points, and around 8-10 metres of track including the outside part, and also it was half ballasted....

Hopefully I will post the July episode in a few days, when I have stopped breaking things... and then repairing them...
I have recovered most of the missing images I just need to upload them else where, as I was aware a couple of months ago Photobucket was going to stop 3rd party sharing so swapped to FlickR.

Atso

Postby Atso » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:59 am

Looks like you've been busy Matt! How did the photo session go and have you got any more updates on the layout?
Steve

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:02 pm

Yes went quite well was a tight squeeze more so than the last time. But went well got some nice photos yesterday just checking them over, I did manage to get a bit of running in after the photo session, so maybe one or 2 videos later in the year... but more sort of concentrating on new or improving what I have... and if there's another kit building competition I have something lined up for that too hehe.

But other than that, not much has been going on, progressing with 3D print projects, the GN Saloon is now available again, and that I hope will be followed by the LNWR observation car which is almost ready, but requires a test print, which I cannot afford at the moment so has been delayed.

Hope your projects are going well? I have been watching on an off.

Atso

Postby Atso » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:36 pm

Hi Matt,

Glad to hear that the photo shoot went ok and I look forward to seeing more videos in due course! :D

Glad to hear that the GN Saloon is available again, it really is a lovely model of a lovely prototype.

My own projects are going slowly in fits and starts. I've just about cleared of a few commission projects that have been outstanding for longer than they should be and hopefully I'll be done with them for the International N Gauge Show a week Saturday. Then it will hopefully be a case of moving forward with some new models for Atso-Cad...

Are you still down on the island?

Cheers
Steve

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:20 pm

Hi Matt, I couldn't fail to notice a nice spread of Horsted Keynes in the August edition of Railway Magazine.

It looks fantastic. :D

Paul

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:51 pm

Was there? Not aware of that one haha,

Thanks

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:38 pm

Well for now that's all the magazine appearances for the layout done, hopefully I will have a date from the magazine when it's published. But for now that's it. The future is probably not to far away, the family home will probably go on the market next year, which means the layout will be broken up, so I guess only a few months to go in it's future.

However being miles away from it has allowed me to make some progress on the model side, and planning new projects.
Back in 2010? I showed on this thread the first Dean Sidings P-Class since then of course Hattons have announced there's right in the middle of me doing some work on mine.
The first Kit 178, was stripped, and using my homemade transfer method I improved the overall livery added details brought it up to date, and it now looks the part. This model will be in The Railway Magazine - Guide to modelling in December.

Of course Hornby have released the SECR H-Class 308... although mine didn't stay 308 for long... I renumbered it using Roxy etches and HMRS transfers, I also lined the roof out with red and painted and lined the sides of the roof as per the preserved prototype. I added some pipework from the cab to the boiler much fun drilling holes in a £90 model, and also adding some rivets on the smokebox which are missing on this tooling, this was done with Archers transfers expensive but nice for adding surface detail.
On my visit to Warley with 263 on show, I managed to photograph some areas for transfers for the sandboxes which is missing, which I have done tonight although not photographed yet.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”