Horsted Keynes OO, - Captain Baxter Kit available.

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
mattmay05

Re: Horsted Keynes - East Ginstead, OO - Progress!

Postby mattmay05 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:29 pm

You can use , many removers, T cut, paint thinners, brasso, white spirit ect...

I wouldnt really recomment cutting the cotton bud down as that can increase risk of scratching the paint off. Your best marking off the area you want to change so nothing else gets damaged. Hornbys paint and transfer finish can be quite tough to get through, Bachmanns is very easy and if not careful they will just peal off, only need a very little amount of remover.

davemate

Postby davemate » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:34 am

I really love your layout. I want mine to look like that :( Mine looks a bit to industrial for SR I find. Don't get me wrong though its really popular at exhibitions because lots happens on it, but yeahh :/ haha. Everyone keeps telling me to put it back on the line up for next years show that I'm organising for my club, but I don't want it there again so soon :L
Dave from www.westdorsetrailway.kk5.org Feel free to check out the site <<< :D

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:35 am

Hi Davemate

Thanks for you comment, Its all great having a scenic layout by all means, some people look at mine and think they need more scenery, But its all great having scenery to make it look pretty, but its pretty boring if operationally not alot is going on.

If you look at most peoples layouts theres either shunting, with mainline running, or a layout with a running line and lots of things moving on it. For me its a balance, even if yours is industrial looking doesn't mean its any less better than mine cause operationally its probably better. :D

davemate

Postby davemate » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:56 pm

mattmay05 wrote:Hi Davemate

Thanks for you comment, Its all great having a scenic layout by all means, some people look at mine and think they need more scenery, But its all great having scenery to make it look pretty, but its pretty boring if operationally not alot is going on.

If you look at most peoples layouts theres either shunting, with mainline running, or a layout with a running line and lots of things moving on it. For me its a balance, even if yours is industrial looking doesn't mean its any less better than mine cause operationally its probably better. :D

Yeahhh i know, I just like greenery as well :P

Well my layout needs 3 operators to be run properly haha, so there is quite a lot happening :P
Dave from www.westdorsetrailway.kk5.org Feel free to check out the site <<< :D

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:12 am

Some news... not alot to be honest... its now getting very cold in the shed so i can't really do any more jobs down there... -3 it was tonight, Since the last post main focus has been wiring the point motors around Horsted Keynes. The Seep point motors where acquired 2 years ago and have been in situ under the points since.

A control panel was designed and switches purchased to complete the job... 2 years later the job has now been completed and they all work... amazingly considering i wired them up!

A few other small projects have been on going, after find a website of D&P Models who sell spare white metal castings,I decided to replace the chimney of the O2 tank engine which was damaged in the post as it broken off upon arrival. having fixed it would never sit straight so i replaced it with a new casting...

After selling a number of items, I embarked on another Bluebell loco project, this time, I have chosen a Q-class. Having missed out on a few SE Finecast kits, I turned my attention to Golden Arrow resin kits. Unable to afford one, a friend who had a Resin body of a Q decided to sell it to me, as he had a few projects on the go. The loco body sourced a small matter of finding at tender was the next task. This was found only about a week ago from a very kind RM web member LSWRM7 who was kind enough to message me as he had one available, this arrived.. yesterday . The loco will use a Collett Bachmann chassis, and the body and tender will be sold off as spare to raise more funds for the layout. Sadly no images of the Q Class yet but heres the real on i took in April of this year.

Also i spoke to a good friend of mine a few days ago, who is looking at another piece of rubbish I brought off ebay, to see if any of the problems could be fixed as the motion seemed stiff, and not having the expert eye on kit building it was found to be a quartering problem with the wheel slipping on the shaft.. hopefully in a few weeks and TLC it will be back and once its returned A new bogie with pickups will be fitted to increase reliability over points and increase smoother running.

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:06 pm

Still awaiting the Collett loco i brought some week ago for the Q class now, which is quite fustrating.

Another item arrived today from D&P Castings, I decided to add some more detail to the loco in the form of a Back head to the boiler adding some detail to the cab. Also modified the middle tender wheel, as it is the Type from the N class which is known for derailing. Ive given it more play so when going over bumps the wheel will go up and down instead of being stiff and de-railing the front or back set of rear wheels...

trainsandco

Postby trainsandco » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:03 am

looking good.

T&C
Henley on Thames in the 30's

Southerner in a weird place called "Yorkshire"...

81D & 55A

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:25 pm

The new loco, Q class 541 is nearly complete, How ever a problem arose a few days ago whilst running the loco in, The main gear on the rear axle broke a couple of teeth which is odd considering its brass on plastic gear. finding a spare plastic gear to fix it for the mean time, so it works still, I contacted Bachmann on Sunday and fortunatly they had a complete spare rear axle with gear which has been purchased to completely fix the loco.

Heres some images of how it looks at the moment.

Pedanticmongrel

Postby Pedanticmongrel » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:47 pm

you have made a nice job of that, just needs some cabside number plates, route discs, real coal and a crew and it will be the star of your fleet :D
I'm back and now I model in 'Strain your eyes gauge'...

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:54 pm

Not to mention the new gear so it will move....

But yes thanks its certainly getting there, as you say needs a few bits and pieces like the cab plates, which will have to ordered, coal i may have to go to my local coal murcant in Stoke upon mandeville. Ive added a tender coupling today which is really the last job to do, appart from adding some weight to the loco.

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:41 pm

Well not much news recently, on the loco front still awaiting the new rear Axle with gear from Bachmann, for the Q class. Within the next few days another Bluebell loco will be under construction which im hoping to fund through the remains of the Collett goods.

After christmas I managed to get some money which all was spent yesterday on new items for the railway, 5 new coaches, 4 bullied, and one extra Maunsell coach, as well as a loco which will be used as the chassis for the new loco.

Not much has happened on the layout as of late, but today I decided to start the last piece of the station, not many of people have said anything about it missing but I haven't got anything to do so... I better do it!
The last building on Platform 3 + 4, the WH Smiths stall which has been turned in to a small shop, this is the last building to do. Seeing as a suitable model isn;t available I decided to scratch build. So far the building in its structure is complete and awaiting sanding and finishing.

Original timber building:-

The scratch built model so far:

Still to add, window frames and the top part above the WH smith logo;s.

trainsandco

Postby trainsandco » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:22 am

mattmay05 wrote:Well not much news recently, on the loco front still awaiting the new rear Axle with gear from Bachmann, for the Q class. Within the next few days another Bluebell loco will be under construction which im hoping to fund through the remains of the Collett goods.

After christmas I managed to get some money which all was spent yesterday on new items for the railway, 5 new coaches, 4 bullied, and one extra Maunsell coach, as well as a loco which will be used as the chassis for the new loco.

Not much has happened on the layout as of late, but today I decided to start the last piece of the station, not many of people have said anything about it missing but I haven't got anything to do so... I better do it!
The last building on Platform 3 + 4, the WH Smiths stall which has been turned in to a small shop, this is the last building to do. Seeing as a suitable model isn;t available I decided to scratch build. So far the building in its structure is complete and awaiting sanding and finishing.

Original timber building:-

The scratch built model so far:

Still to add, window frames and the top part above the WH smith logo;s.

that scratch building is coming along well. But there is a building currently ON the market which you could use THIS. Its a kit and Very cheap.

hth

T&C
Henley on Thames in the 30's

Southerner in a weird place called "Yorkshire"...

81D & 55A

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:18 am

Thanks for the link, Its pretty close but not as close as I would like really as the one on the site is more a modern style, Thanks though! :D

Postby 80064 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:50 pm

Just had a gander at your layout website as not seen it for a while and bloody hell! :shock: :shock:

It looks stunning, the level of build is superb and I am very impressed with your efforts, well done! :D

When the Project Undercover is completed at Sheffield Park, I reckon you should put your name down for building any new layout that goes into the museum......

Michael Thornberry

Postby Michael Thornberry » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:56 pm

Hello Matt,
Nice to see that you are progressing very well with your Lay-out. Keep-up the good work,
Kind Regards,
Michael Thornberry.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”