Troysdale Wagon & Loco works

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:37 pm

Hi Charlie

Excellent work all round mate. I am taken by the very neat electrical plumbing that you have done ;) Neat, tidy, logical...and basically everything tht electronics usually ends up not being on my layouts, lol!

Cheers

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

santene

Postby santene » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:46 pm

what plastikard did you use on the net and exhibtions i can only find sheets like rooft tiles that aint that big
proud modeller jake also known as Duke Jake the Bewildered of Mousehole by Sea :D

anyone got n gauge track i can buy

DriffCharlie

Postby DriffCharlie » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:23 pm

santene wrote:what plastikard did you use on the net and exhibtions i can only find sheets like rooft tiles that aint that big

Hi,
I used 3mm thick for this box because I wanted it to be TOUGH . Because I mainly scratchbuild I get the Plastikard sheet in A4 sizes or bigger if I can, you can pick them up at loads of places, I re-stocked a bit at York show, but I have also bought it off the 'net, eBay, and local model shops. Most model shops I have visited sell the A4 sheets in various thicknesses, also you could try some of the 'gaming' shops as they now tend to sell it too.

HTH

Charlie

DriffCharlie

Postby DriffCharlie » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:59 pm

Postman brought the final bits to my control box masterplan... these funky flush-fit brackets, here they are fixed to the control box and the front of layout...

...and "hey presto" just hook the control box on and away I go!!!,
I have also a set of these to fit to the rear of the baseboard then the control panel can go either side.

Then I took some general shots of the state of the layout so far...most buildings are either part-built or "mock-up" and temporary in place, so its getting an atomosphere now :shock: :shock:

Look!! I even have some contours!! I got some Modroc down :D :D :D , tested the Kaydees with the hidden magnets to check all was fine as there is a lot of shunting possibilities available here so wanted to be sure they were in the right place before ballasting them in.

Happy "playing trains" again 8) 8) 8)

Charlie

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:14 pm

That looks truly excellent mate. Practical and neat!
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

santene

Postby santene » Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:35 pm

[quote="DriffCharlie] I re-stocked a bit at York show
Charlie[/quote] hehe i was at the york show i loved that layout on the n gauge floor with all the houses at the front of the layout. it was a great exhibtion
proud modeller jake also known as Duke Jake the Bewildered of Mousehole by Sea :D

santene

Postby santene » Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:36 pm

[quote="DriffCharlie] I re-stocked a bit at York show
Charlie[/quote] hehe i was at the york show i loved that layout on the n gauge floor with all the houses at the front of the layout. it was a great exhibtion

DriffCharlie

Postby DriffCharlie » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:49 pm

The Shed....

boy oh boy this is turning into a real tester... Problems are, its sheer size,and the amount of openings cut out for hidden "return-loop", 2 tracks for repairs/loading bay & windows etc... it wants to flex all the time so need lots of fillets of plastikard to help it, I would normally use the roof to strengthen this size of building but I need the roof removeable for maintenance/ access etc... so that would normally mean using the floor to strengthen the building but as there are tracks in the floor I cant really use a full floor... Took nearly all afternoon to get this far... and then there is the roof itself, I want a curved roof similar to agricultural buildings/ large Nissen huts, but being removeable it wants to spring straight so basically had to make 2 full sets of roof trusses, 1 for fixing to the building 1 for fixing to the roof itself, anyway getting there now piccies below

a good view of the nice industrial resin windows I discoved at York show, opening to left of these will be a small loading dock for parts etc.. for the works

overheads show extra bracing/lips needed for roof panel, I just feel this has to be "right" as its such a big building it will form the main focal viewing point of the layout

No piccies of roof until Tommorow, you cant see it for the amount of masking tape holding it in shape while glue sets :shock: :shock: :shock:

Charlie

headshot119

Postby headshot119 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:46 am

Wow. I've been following this with interest. You've made some fantastic progress with this layout and the shed looks fantastic. Keep it up.

DriffCharlie

Postby DriffCharlie » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:51 pm

The shed cont'd...

piccies of the roof underframe in situ now,

Also built & roofed the front extension,
this serves 2 purposes, Firstly it "breaks-up" the mass of the otherwise plain front wall, secondly because of how small the layout is,when shunting trucks into the stores siding, the trucks/loco have to enter part of the back road in the shed, this small extension gives the viewer a false impression that the trucks are going behind the shed rather than into it, believe me it does work :P :P I spent ages trying out various ideas for this,
Then messed about practising some rusting shades on this little "tin" roof in preperation for the huge main roof ( I now have to cut around SIXTY scale 8' x 2' 3" sheets of "corrugated iron" and then glue them on ..one by one :shock: :shock: :shock:

Enjoy,

Charlie

santene

Postby santene » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:55 pm

DriffCharlie wrote:( I now have to cut around SIXTY scale 8' x 2' 3" sheets of "corrugated iron" and then glue them on ..one by one :shock: :shock: :shock:

Enjoy,

Charlie
thats gunna take for ever btw the kaddees are they good do they couple easy are the magnets good do they uncouple easy tell me about them :)

DriffCharlie

Postby DriffCharlie » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:28 pm

santene wrote: thats gunna take for ever

Oh no its not......

...all done, I managed to capture the bent/twisted/patched /neglected look I was trying to acheive, although painting/weathering/rusting might take a little longer :shock: :shock: :shock:

Charlie

headshot119

Postby headshot119 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:43 pm

You certainly don't hang about. :o :lol: :lol: Thats some really good work there keep it up. As said above the kadee rang of couplings is good a got hold of a few yesterday.

DriffCharlie

Postby DriffCharlie » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:11 pm

santene wrote: btw the kaddees are they good do they couple easy are the magnets good do they uncouple easy tell me about them :)

headshot119 wrote: As said above the kadee rang of couplings is good a got hold of a few yesterday.

I really like the Kadee couplings, I did quite an involved post in my other thread here

http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=12883
( near the bottom of page 1 )

Which also covered using hidden magnets for uncoupling

HTH

Charlie

DriffCharlie

Postby DriffCharlie » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:57 pm

Painted the BIG roof today, pretty pleased with it, various hades of grey with some suitable "green" shades, ned to "rust" it nicely now, unfortunately I left it too late to get a good photo as the light was too bad for the similar shades used, will post a piccie of it in the morning, you can make a little out from this photo, also shows I have started to "chemically rust" the small entrance roof, more about that later, You can see too that I have started the corner building and the gantry & crane are visible, these are left-over 00 gauge items but I think with some suitable mods I can make them "right"

Then I got carried away with the camera, next shots show the board is starting to fill-up and it now looks quite "busy"

Then I tried to get some "track-level" shots, dont know if they work or not??, you will have to tell me??

This one looks along the yard and into the various sheds/workshops

Next photo shows a freshly ballasted siding with todays landscaping efforts and the scratch-built coal staithe

This is to prove how cold it is in driffield!!! LOOK an Iceberg has floated in behind the stores :shock: :shock: :shock: , its the start of my rocks/hillside and I only had white plaster at the time
( a problem now sorted thank goodness!!!)

This next photo shows a quick-fix for the 00 gauge crane, I think with some "riveted steel" panels this could look quite good???, its spot-on in height for the figure to operate

Finally here is the "instant rust" chemical rusting agent in action, this photo was taken about 30mins after application of the activator, and as it takes 8 hours to work fully I will post a comparison piccie in the morning.

Enjoy

Charlie

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”