Troysdale Wagon & Loco works

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
DriffCharlie

Postby DriffCharlie » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:42 pm

live-frog wrote:Nice modelling Charlie. The bridge, is it sandstone ?
I like the open aspect of the bridge, showing the sleeper chairs - is it based on a prototype or purely your own design ?
Keep it coming !!
Regards
Ron

Hi Ron, its not based on a prototype, the bridge is purely a figment of my overactive imagination...its all in my head you know... :shock: :shock: :shock: ,

The bridge is brick,hopefuly better painting/lighting will show the colours better,

Charlie

DriffCharlie

Postby DriffCharlie » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:46 pm

mumbles wrote:hi
what great craftsmanship. even at this stage it has a lovely authentic feel to it

what scale is it?

cheers
michael

Hi Michael, thanks for the comments, the layout is in 7mm Narow Gauge or 0-16.5mm whichever is correct :?: :?:

I am glad I made the decision to change layouts I am really "getting-into" this one :shock: :shock:

Charlie

zabdiel

Postby zabdiel » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:44 pm

DriffCharlie wrote:7mm Narrow Gauge or 0-16.5mm whichever is correct :?: :?:

Both are correct but O16.5 is more specific as there are other forms of 7mm Narrow Gauge: There's O14 (14mm gauge - used by people who want the gauge to be accurate for 2') and O9 (9mm gauge - use to model 15" gauge lines e.g. Inselbahn Westeroog). There is probably a standard for modelling 3' gauge railways too but I don't know what that's called.

Your new layout looks good. I especially like the little bridge. :)

DriffCharlie

Postby DriffCharlie » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:20 pm

Trains are running again on the Troysdale Railway :D :D :D ,

well I have only got the basic oval temporary down to cut point motor holes/mag uncouplers etc.. and to test the radius, I must admit I cringe :shock: :shock: when I look at the radius but the little locos manage to push/pull 3 or 4 wagons around no problems.
heres some photos,

first the loco approaching the shed... ( note the very modern??? controller which always comes out for testing/setting up :shock: :shock: )

Next its just about to enter the shed (which is really the entrance to the "hidden" return loop around the back)

Now we are at the right hand side of the layout where the loco will re-emerge from the backscene and cross the bridge to approach the workshops/ sidings...

And finally with the speed turned up just to show the loco was really moving :D :D :D ...

Hopefully get a temp fit of all the sidings tommorow,

Charlie

santene

Postby santene » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:56 pm

nice idea wit shed
proud modeller jake also known as Duke Jake the Bewildered of Mousehole by Sea :D

anyone got n gauge track i can buy

DriffCharlie

Postby DriffCharlie » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:46 pm

Made & fitted the scenic break/backdrop, need to fill & paint it now, got most of the track laid & done some test samples of ballast to try and get the right mix,

next photos show general state of affairs on the layout..quite pleased with the way its all comming together...

Spent today scratchbuilding this as the yard office/foremans office, just rushed the paintjob a little, will re-touch it later... need more patience to let things dry properly...

Thats it for now, could have either a lot of time or no time at all on the layout this week as Thursday go in for "exploratory surgery :?: :?: :?: " on my knee :cry: :cry: :cry:

Charlie

dr5euss

Postby dr5euss » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:20 pm

Last edited by dr5euss on Sun May 22, 2016 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

mick

post subject

Postby mick » Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:19 pm

Hi Charlie after seeing Troysdale in the flesh it looks great.
Hope the knee is ok and not giving you too much trouble
keep up the good work mate.
regards Mick :wink: :wink: :wink:
im in love with a black 5

D2850

Postby D2850 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:18 am

Looks good
Humour is subjective, so please supply your own witty statement.

boyofbears

Postby boyofbears » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:56 am

it looks pretty cool! :D i think that that last building you did looks pretty good with that paint job :D
my imaginery friend thinks u have problems.......wait........
my layout viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17368 new!!!

DriffCharlie

Postby DriffCharlie » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:32 pm

Well I still cant do much on the layout :cry: :cry: :cry: , cant walk properly, cant stand for long, and deffo cant lean over the layout doing things, so it has had to be mainly kitchen table and not too messy :shock: :shock: ,

I havent been able to find a control panel box to suit my req's so today out came the good old Plastikard :D :D , here is what I ended up with,,, the white lines are microstrip to strengthen it and the timber is glued in there as its easier to mount tagstrip and choco blok connectors to, Need to get some piano hinge now ( dont really want to buy a full metre though :( )

anyway photos...

Then onto the front panel, I only had Black Plasticard so instead of marking out the track with pinstripe in the normal way I used 3mm masking tape for the track layout, then primed and sprayed over it all in silver. Once dry I removed the masking and coated it all in clear laquer. I am Well Pleased with the result,, the down side is it would be pretty hard to change the track layout now.

Heres the photos, Dont you think it really does look like its a metal panel though?? :D :D

hopefully if the leg ( or more importantly...my WIFE) lets me I'll solder some wire & the multi plug up tomorrow.

Charlie

Chuffer Chuff

Postby Chuffer Chuff » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:59 pm

You have done a smashing job with the control panel Charlie. Very neat and nicely done! I do agree with you that it really does look like a heavy duty metal panel!

Was that the effect you were after by any chance? :wink:

Pretty neat wiring to, well done for choosing a colour such as green as it stands out! :shock:

Keep up the great work!
"You only get one chance in life, so make the most of it!"

DriffCharlie

Postby DriffCharlie » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:28 pm

Chuffer Chuff wrote:
Was that the effect you were after by any chance? :wink:

Hi Alex, the finish was purely down to chance, the only paint I could find in the garage to contrast with black was a spray can of " 5 Wheel Silver" still cant complain at the result :D :D :D .

The panel has progressed at a pace today :shock: :shock: , Just for you Alex, lots more colours added :wink: :wink: , below photo shows the plugs at the end of the "umbelical" cord, this will enable me to either operate the layout from the Front or the Rear depending on where I have it set-up.

And now for the business end...

nearly finished with this now, so maybe I can wire the layout board next and start to connect all the other ends of these wires :shock: :shock:

Charlie

santene

Postby santene » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:30 pm

wow that is simply one of the best home made control boxes i have ever seen can you do a how to and what plastikard did you use on the net and exhibtions i can only find sheets like rooft tiles that aint that big
proud modeller jake also known as Duke Jake the Bewildered of Mousehole by Sea :D

anyone got n gauge track i can buy

DriffCharlie

Postby DriffCharlie » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:33 am

wiring....wiring...wiring...

Things are progressing..SLOWLY..( the knee just wont work properly :( :( :( )

Managed to wire most of the layout now, all tested fine and I have incorporated several 'switched' sections so it can "appear" a rather busy site once complete., with more than one loco out.

First piccie is the entry/exit point of all the wiring to the baseboard, used different sizes/styles of plug/socket to prevent the connecting of incorrect cables, at least with this method I can have the control panel either infront or behind the layout depending on where it it is and whether its pushed against the wall or out in the room :D :D .

This is the other side before the cables go on their different journeys around the baseboard

Below is just one of the sections showing distribution block and point motor applications

And just to keep up with the times, for the fist time I will not mount the transformer on the baseboard, Below shows the case I housed it in (good old Maplins :D )and the power outlet terminals etc.. this can now sit on the floor/table away from the baseboard.

Hopefully I can now concentrate on some scenics :D :D :D

Enjoy,

Charlie

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”