Troysdale Wagon & Loco works

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
DriffCharlie

Troysdale Wagon & Loco works

Postby DriffCharlie » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:17 pm

After deciding to call a halt to work on my original “Troysdale” layout, here is the next layout explained…

So the saga continues…. A lot further up the line from Troysdale town is the main reason for the line in the first place… an iron ore mine, Between the town of “Troysdale” and the iron ore mine lies the subject of my new layout the much needed service & repair centre for the locos and all the rolling stock, from mining skips to passenger coaches. Everything is dealt with here from a full rebuild to just greasing axle boxes. This gives me the chance to run a wide variety of locos under the premise of its “just visiting for a service”. Also if I model 2 versions of some wagons ie one in dilapidated condition & one freshly restored, along with some clever backscene work I can “mimic” the repair & return to service of these vehicles via the “workshop”.

I have come up with a plan to suit all my requirements ie:

It has varied shunting via an “inglenook” type arrangement,
Has a continuous loop for free running
Has the sliding traverser contained within the baseboard size
All fits into my original 4-foot long baseboard limit
Has some contours, ie: the whole layout is not “flat”,
Allows me “free reign” on scratch-building buildings/scenery etc…

I spent last night perfecting the track/ terrain layout and am soon off to B & Queue…and queue…and queue… to get the necessary ply & timber.

Tonight/tomorrow should see some progress on the baseboards, but as for now I cant show you a track plan because;
1, I cant draw in paint/word or any other programme for that matter!!!,
2, the scanner is broken so I cant even show you my plan/sketch of it all.

Off model railway shopping, then some woodwork..…till later then…

Charlie

santene

Postby santene » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:12 pm

i really like the idea fo the cleaning place so would it go in dirty come out clean go into the mine clean come out dirty so you would need at least 2 locos one to bring the dirty ones to the mine (behind backdrops/bachscenes or w/e)then drop clean ones in mine and pick dirty up and you need the clean ones takin to the wash place behind w/e it would be confusing but good very good :)
proud modeller jake also known as Duke Jake the Bewildered of Mousehole by Sea :D

anyone got n gauge track i can buy

D2850

Postby D2850 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:22 pm

Sounds good.

Different from a lot of the other layouts on the site, and some interesting possibilities - how about half built stock or, if your line builds stock for other railways/industries, a 'demonstration train' to show off what can be built?
Humour is subjective, so please supply your own witty statement.

DriffCharlie

Postby DriffCharlie » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:46 pm

OK so the baseboard is well under way now,

you can just about make out the rough trackplan from this, the lines were just to ensure no strengtheners ended up where I wanted point motors. To the centre rear you can see the traverser "fiddle yard" which will just about hold 3 lines. The brown area to the right is routed out for the base of a small stream, pond & drainage gulley, the stream will be dammed to form the pond ( as its so remote here they use this to draw water for the works from!!!) from the dam the water will flow down under the track to the lower level and off to "stage right".Only about 60% of the board will be scenic, the diagonal line is roughly where the backdrop will go, thus allowing plenty of space behind for the control panel/fiddle yard and general "hand-shunting" etc...
I have managed to split the levels a little and the front is a fair bit lower than the main board level, As the site is quite near the quarry end of the line the backscene will see some rather "vertical" rock faces.

Below is a shot of the underneath I put some extra bracing inn this time as the cut-out for the traverser actually took loads of strength away from the rear edge of the baseboard

The next couple of photos show the small 3 line traverser mounted on small drawer runners, this will form the main method of changing locos'/stock around.

Hopefully tomorrow will see the cork base down then I can get on with track-laying

Charlie

DriffCharlie

Postby DriffCharlie » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:49 am

With my obvious lack of ability to post a track plan :oops: :oops: :oops: , I have had a "mock-up" of the layout as follows,

The HUGE shed at bott left is the main workshop,( its just a temp one knocked up in plywood) this will also "conceal" the return loop entrance, the next building will probably be something like the paint shop??,( both these buildings will be "hand-accessible from the rear so enabling "switching" of stock to suit the job in hand), the others just stores & possibly some accomodation huts as its so remote here a skeleton staff may "reside" here during the week.

All traffic will normally emerge from the Right, over the bridge, and waggons etc.. will be shunted into the various workshops, "finished/repaired stock will be brought from the workshops and "shunted" to the outdoor siding at bottom left, These will then be collected by the next loco which brings in the next load of service/repair items. Inbetween all this there will be various "supply" trains unloading at the storage huts and also some suitably "grotty" workers coaches to bring the staff in.

Well I have convinced myself it will "work" in theory so the next step is lay some track & try it out, If anyone spots any obvious flaws or any ideas for improvement please post up.

Charlie

Lofty

Postby Lofty » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:04 am

Very impressed with the mini transverser

Lofty

santene

Postby santene » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:48 pm

i like your drawer very neat and tidy too
proud modeller jake also known as Duke Jake the Bewildered of Mousehole by Sea :D

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:49 pm

Hi Charlie

I like this a lot already. Nice proportions and a very impressive traverser system too: nice and simple :)

Cheers fella

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

DriffCharlie

Postby DriffCharlie » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:23 am

A little more progress, Baseboard now finished, covered in cork tiles and painted, I have painted everything Brown this time,2 reasons, as its near an iron ore quarry I assumed the subterrain would be mainly "brown" and due to me having LOADS of brown ballast leftover from somewhere in the past???, I am going to ballast the track with the "spoil" from the quarry/mine.

Been scratchbuilding a couple of structures, firstly the "timber" shed that will become the general stores shed for the works, my usual 1mm plasticard covered with embossed plastic sheet, I started with the interior detail first as it will be modelled with the doors open to show a multitude of goods/junk inside,

Then onto the bottom right of the board. Here the track crosses a little stream which further into the layout is dammed up to provide the works with water supply. My usual instinct was to go for a nice arch with keystones etc..., but I MUST force myself to think "Narrow Gauge" I want to create the idea of "building-on-the-cheap" so a rummage around found a length of girder and the rest was made up as I went along.

This is the location of the bridge, you can see I routed the baseboard to form the bed of the stream and behind the track is where the water will "fall" from the sluice on the dam.

This is the underside, I have used 3mm ply for the substructure this time simply because I could use the hot glue gun for speed & instant strength.

Now its 'in-situ' retaing walls are covered in plasticard and its glued to the 'infill' of ply track bed.

And lastly is the all important view from the front of the layout, showing how the stream will emerge through it.

More Soon,

Charlie

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:50 am

I love the bridge, and I can see another lovely little 'character layout' starting to emerge here. You're certainly a fast worker - but without compromising on quality it seems. I'm looking forward to more :)

santene

Postby santene » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:10 pm

love the bridge very neat

DriffCharlie

Postby DriffCharlie » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:50 pm

Same Bridge but "now in colour",

plenty more detail to do but taking shape now,

Charlie

DriffCharlie

Postby DriffCharlie » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:05 pm

just having a little "mess about" at this bottom right hand corner as this is the area where there is most height differences & I want to get it right in my head before fitting the "contoured" fascia board to the front of the layout.

Glued some polystyrene down & had a play with some old trees from the past,

Reasonably happy with that so out with the jigsaw this evening

Charlie

live-frog

Postby live-frog » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:12 pm

Nice modelling Charlie. The bridge, is it sandstone ?
I like the open aspect of the bridge, showing the sleeper chairs - is it based on a prototype or purely your own design ?
Keep it coming !!
Regards
Ron

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:26 pm

hi
what great craftsmanship. even at this stage it has a lovely authentic feel to it

what scale is it?

cheers
michael

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”