Alderton Yard - My New Project

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
SR/ScR Fan

Alderton Yard - My New Project

Postby SR/ScR Fan » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:48 pm

I thought i would share my new project at its formative stages as i did not with my last project, Glen Cary. This new layout is set in between the years 1957-1961 and is a sleepy goods yard set on a fictious branch between Aldershot and Alton (hence the name) I have included a couple of early pictures of the track and some of the stock that will be used. The scenery and the board is from Glen Cary (i do my bit and recycle! lol). Suggestions are very welcome!

The finished plan (haha finished!)

Rough draft so to speak. In the background are the 2 Portacabins from Glen Cary.

I hope you enjoy.

P.S. If you fancy a look at Glen Cary: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... light=glen

bsa77

Postby bsa77 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:38 am

Very good, I also like the fact that using the old layout makes it look like there is realistic rubbish dumped everywhere... Which suggests that in fact it is to be based nearer to Aldershot/Farnborough than anywhere else :D :wink:

GROTLAND

Postby GROTLAND » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:40 am

I like the ripped up lines, still evident on the baseboard from the last layout. Don't see that modelled too often.

SR/ScR Fan

Postby SR/ScR Fan » Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:50 am

Thank you for your kind comments. I was going to tidy the rubbish up but it seems to go down well so i will leave it! And bsa77, i know exactly what you mean.....

SR/ScR Fan

Postby SR/ScR Fan » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:11 pm

Update:

Point Motors are wired in. Same motors from Glen Cary, just moved. Also the kickback siding has been extended. Pics to follow. Track pinned down and all gaps filled in. :). Section swithces in place (ok i admit, the wiring is EXACTLY the same as Glen Cary. :oops:

SR/ScR Fan

Postby SR/ScR Fan » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:06 pm

UPDATE:

Erm not much. Lack off funds really. I have mainly been building yard lamps with Peco grain of wheat bulbs. Also so work on the buffers. I have mastered a way of making Hornby buffers more realistic.

D2850

Re: Alderton Yard - My New Project

Postby D2850 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:49 am

SR/ScR Fan wrote:a fictious branch between Aldershot and Alton

Isn't that the Mid-Hants Railway (or am i in the wrong place)
Humour is subjective, so please supply your own witty statement.

SR/ScR Fan

Postby SR/ScR Fan » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:40 am

The Mid Hants was between Alton and Winchester, But now it's just between Alton and Alresford.Alton itself is about 30 miles up the road from Aldershot. Easy to get confused with all the A's. lol

SR/ScR Fan

Postby SR/ScR Fan » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:56 am

UPDATE:

Ok so we have a scenic break (a hill), goods shed, grounded coach, lights and the start of ballasting. Oh, and a diesel.

A1X in the Goods shed.

M7 and grounded coach

Diesel!!!!!

Lit grounded coach

Diesel does work!!!!

Thats all for now, video will be along soon[/img]

santene

Postby santene » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:16 am

can you post a how to or somit like that on the hornby buffers
proud modeller jake also known as Duke Jake the Bewildered of Mousehole by Sea :D

anyone got n gauge track i can buy

SR/ScR Fan

Postby SR/ScR Fan » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:51 pm

The buffers are very simple. Firstly, remove the very unrealistic inner strut between the forward and second strut, on both sides.

Then add card replacements to all sides off the bufferstock itself. I find it can be made realistic by gently scoring it with a compass or scapel blade, to represent wooden planks.

Then of course, weather to suit.

Hope this helps. I will upload a pic of my finished one when i take a pic!

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”