Starlingford - The End of the Line

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Black-Marlin

Re: Starlingford - Back to the East Coast, pg 130

Postby Black-Marlin » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:20 pm

Some wandering weathered westerns for you...

Black-Marlin

Re: Starlingford - Wandering Weathered Westerns, pg 131

Postby Black-Marlin » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:09 pm

Well it's been a while, hasn't it? I'm afraid I have no new pics of Starlingford for you - I haven't been home since Christmas, so I've had nothing to photograph - but there are still stories to relate...

I have been modelling! I have been modelling not as the Slimming Controller of Starlingford (I have finally started eating properly and exercising, and I have to tell you - it works. I lost a stone-and-a-half in 5 weeks) but as merely one cog in the vaguely competent machine that is the Aberdeen Model Railway Club. My modelling has taken two forms. One is scenic (because you all know my passions) and the other is with rolling stock (because I am trying to be a proper railway modeller, and not simply someone with compulsion issues every time they're let loose in a model shop with a credit card).

So, as part of the AMRC, I was given a corner of our new exhibition layout 'Cala-na-Creige' (Stonehaven, for the non-Gaelic speakers) and told to prettify it. This I duly attempted to do, adding a hedgerow, church, copse and scenic break. But see for yourselves:

I know I need to tone down the wall around the church, but I ran out of time before we took the layout to Model Rail Scotland in Glasgow. The other contribution I made was a rake of Gresley coaches - five of them were Hornby but the other three were an Ian Kirk restaurant triplet set. Some stuff is clearly wrong on them - the most glaring error is not having painted the windows of the kitchen car white - but as they stand I'm quite pleased. I was even complimented on them by none other than the great Tony Wright, and if that's not the seal of royal approval I don't know what is! (He was a very kind critic - he was the one who tactfully pointed out the errors - and we spent a long time chatting, the upshot being that there may yet be a Starlingford contribution to his own Little Bytham). Here is that rake:

...and I can't wait to get them back to Starlingford and hooked up behind A1 Royal Lancer or even - *drool* - silver-grey A4 Quicksilver...

Model Rail Scotland is my kryptonite, or so my bank manager will tell you, and this year the big purchase was the set of 5 all-steel K-type Pullman cars. Originally I paid...errr... £X for them, but a couple of hours later I found them for £X-75. So I managed to take advantage of the lower price, leaving me with £75... but then I wandered past the Locomotion stand where they had Hornby B1s in Apple Green with 'British Railways' on the tender - for £75.

Well, it would have been rude not to, wouldn't it? I choose to believe that I took advantage of a 'buy 5 coaches, get a loco free' offer!

The current plan is to get back to Starlingford in the first week or so in June, so that's likely to be the next big update on the layout. I will be looking forward to it (this Friday is my first day off since Christmas, and I've been keeping myself sane with thoughts of modelling), and I will try very hard to just run trains - at Christmas I spent so much time doing modelling work and taking pictures that locomotives were only running for, in total, about an hour in that fortnight! But with a number of proper trains now awaiting running-in on Starlingford, it's time for the pendulum to swing the other way.

Gavin

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:33 am

Gavin,

Perhaps you should stay away from exhibitions for the sake of your bank balance !

Well done on loosing that weight, not easy and dare I say even more difficult to
keep off. A electricity generating treadmill to provide power for Starlingford, and
no, I don't mean getting some hamsters to do the work !!

Nice to have help and support from people one admires. Too small to a picture to
appreciate, but all power to your elbow on making stock.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:38 pm

Dad-1 wrote:Gavin,

Perhaps you should stay away from exhibitions for the sake of your bank balance !

There are always online Liverpudlians to fear.

Dad-1 wrote:Well done on losing that weight, not easy and dare I say even more difficult to
keep off. A electricity generating treadmill to provide power for Starlingford, and
no, I don't mean getting some hamsters to do the work !!

All the greenery I've been eating and I may as well be some kind of herbivore... I like what is quite clearly garbage - Doner & Chips is, very obviously, the food of the gods. But no, instead I'm eating rice and soup and chicken and getting up at 6am to run 2 miles before work... yeesh.

Dad-1 wrote:Nice to have help and support from people one admires. Too small to a picture to

Geoff T.

Because as we all know, if there's one thing Starlingford desperately needs it's more stock. :shock: You're quite right, though, about people one admires. I've been reading Tony's articles for more than 20 years now and you have no idea just how delightful it was to discover that in the flesh the man is just as pleasant as you could have hoped. I'm going to have to do more work on the coaches but at least now I know what it is I need to achieve!

And, by the end of the year, at least one of his superb trains will be populated with figures I've painted for him. It will be a terribly satisfying thing for me to see :)

sarah

Postby sarah » Tue May 10, 2016 5:50 pm

Hi Gavin...

"The incredible shrinking man"? ;)

Good to "hear" from you again.

Just lately, BR 9F 2-10-0 locos have been my weekness....

I now have too many of them...I only really need 2. Evening Star and a C1954 Crew Built one.

I have ES....and 2 China made 1957 built single chimney models (well one needs a new chimney!). (Not counting the sapre parts of a few Margate ones!)

So...one 1957 model will be re-numbered to a 1954 Crewe built loco....but what to do with the other "black-un"?

Decisions, decisions! ;)

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:30 pm

I have sneakily been home, and I return with pictures! But first -

Dad-1 wrote:Too small to a picture to

Geoff T.

- here is more of a close-up for you:

And now, something of a photo essay for you all :)

Regards,
Gavin

sarah

Re: Starlingford - New Update! pg 131

Postby sarah » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:17 pm

Nice photos...as usual.

I like the Super D....

Now you need the LNWR Coal Tank to go with it....

Then you could re-enact the Coal Tank and Super D Double header Special Train, run 196X in South Wales.... ;)

Black-Marlin

Re: Starlingford - New Update! pg 131

Postby Black-Marlin » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:35 pm

After a brief excursion home, I have a couple of things to show you...

First of all, Model Rail Magazine exclusive D11/1 'Marne' in LNER green. I got this in February but, other than on a rolling road, I haven't been able to run it until now:

And, because some things are too lovely not to consider, here it is double-heading with a C1:

The other new addition to the fleet was this Raven Q6:

I have, nevertheless, been doing some proper modelling. Here an LNER J39 moves under the coaling plant for a refill:

And, having been filled, moved off:

But, as you can see, the tender was overfilled and coal has cascaded own next to the water filler cap. It's something you see occasionally in photographs, but it's very seldom modelled!

Here's a couple of pictures to show the depth of field I've managed to produce across Wyndham, the coastal gun emplacement:

And, finally, a 2MT (with real coal now in the tender) propels an inspection saloon through the cutting:

Regards,
G

DonB

Re: Starlingford - B1s, D11s, Q6s and a restaurant triplet p

Postby DonB » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:48 pm

Lovely photos as usual, Gavin. Some rather splendid additions to the loco roster too.
I must say, it was a pleasant surprise to see a certain Q6 in a very familiar location appear on Hornby Railways' Facebook feed! :)
Don

My Layout Thread: viewtopic.php?t=14899

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:15 am

DonB wrote:Lovely photos as usual, Gavin. Some rather splendid additions to the loco roster too.
I must say, it was a pleasant surprise to see a certain Q6 in a very familiar location appear on Hornby Railways' Facebook feed! :)

Thanks Don - keep your eyes peeled, there may be another familiar shot appearing soon...!

In other news, SWMBO was recently moved to comment on the amount of time I spend chatting to the various friends I've made on assorted railway fora, and wondered if she ought be jealous. "Perhaps," she said, "you ought to have an app for contacting one another."

I have given this some thought, and I have come up with what I think is the perfect name for it:

Tender.

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:07 am

Always enjoy your updates Gavin - keep 'em coming.

Those Kirk kits - how much fettling did they need ? Ones I built many years ago had poor panel fit and required a fair bit of filler, especially where the ends met the roof.

It's a shame they didn't do some GWR coaching stock.

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:06 pm

Lysander wrote:Always enjoy your updates Gavin - keep 'em coming.

Those Kirk kits - how much fettling did they need ? Ones I built many years ago had poor panel fit and required a fair bit of filler, especially where the ends met the roof.

It's a shame they didn't do some GWR coaching stock.

Tony

Thanks Tony

I found the kits okay, actually; maybe I just got lucky?

In other news, Starlingford has become famous thanks to Hornby!

http://www.hornby.com/uk-en/downloads/view/index/cat/35/

:D

Gavin

End2end

Postby End2end » Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:22 pm

Congratulations Gavin. You and Starlingford certainly deserve it :)
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:46 pm

Haha, that's brilliant Gavin. Well done and well deserved. I miss the more regular postings of Starlingford. :(

Paul

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:08 am

Well deserved.
Like most I always look forward to new photos from Starlingford.

O.K now an awkward question - How's the weight control going ?

The other thought that occurred to me where DO you keep so many locomotives ?
I'd like to know as I'm running out of space.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”