Starlingford - The End of the Line

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Corsavxr

Re: Starlingford - When Starlingford Met Rowland's Castle pg 111

Postby Corsavxr » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:51 pm

Did the U boat make it round the curves???

Two Hoots

Postby Two Hoots » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:00 pm

Now that you're back, would it be possible to see your two N15s together? :D

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:52 pm

Corsavxr wrote:Did the U boat make it round the curves???

Amazingly, yes it did! Caught me by surprise I must confess. And in fact that wagon runs extremely well :)

Two Hoots wrote:Now that you're back, would it be possible to see your two N15s together? :D

Two Hoots

Postby Two Hoots » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:48 pm

Thank you, Oh LNERish One! :)

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:47 pm

Well, I am back in Aberdeen after getting very very little accomplished. I didn't even manage to take many pictures. However...One major job that has needed doing for a while has now been successfully completed!

Ladies and gentlemen, I have countersunk the turntable through judicious use of a router (a very scary piece of equipment, far more worrisome than a jigsaw) and so the approach tracks now sit flush to the baseboard! The next time I'm home (sometime in the summer, probably)I will be able to ballast that whole area, really get it up to scratch :D I have also laid out the final arrangement of gasworks buildings, so they can be bedded into the ground cover.

In other news, Bachmann's new releases have been announced, and so in the next couple of years you should expect to see a J11, D11, and lots of LNER fish vans making their appearance! Next month, hopefully, a V2 is on the cards......

Regards,
Gavin

Black-Marlin

Re: Starlingford - The Glasgow Binge, Pg 94

Postby Black-Marlin » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:37 pm

roadie stu wrote:
Black-Marlin wrote:

Finally, Airfix have re-released one of their older kits in the shape of a Grumman Gosling. Mine will be suspended over the bridges. It was built as per the instructions, with one major modification: the propellers were broken off the hubs and replaced with circles of clear acetate. This gives a very good impression of propellers whirling at speed. See for yourselves:

Regards,
Gavin

Hi Gav

Just an Idea to make your acetate look even more like rotating propellers, run a line of yellow paint around the edge of the acitate to show the propeller tips

hope this helps
cheers
Stu

Does anyone remember this from way back on page 94? And then the discussion that followed on how one might get the yellow circle of the propellor tips? Well, I remembered, and as things have quietly been marching toward completion on my workbench I had been giving it some thought. I have just finished a Revell 1:72 P-47 Thunderbolt, and I invite you to observe the propellors....now, can anyone guess how I managed this?
Regards,
Gavin

Corsavxr

Re: Starlingford - A 'Bolt from the Bench, pg 112

Postby Corsavxr » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:02 am

Yes but I won't give the secret away!!! :wink:

HARRYMALLARD

Postby HARRYMALLARD » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:06 am

Looking at the slightly opaque finish to the acetate, I think you have used superglue to glue it on, and from experience (don't ask) I know superglue makes clear plastic cloudy. :wink:
Cheers Harry
My layouts:

Clicky here --> Image
Gasworks Lane micro layout

trainsandco

Postby trainsandco » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:18 pm

put it in a dremel/drill and dip in paint/paint brush?

Ben
Henley on Thames in the 30's

Southerner in a weird place called "Yorkshire"...

81D & 55A

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:49 pm

trainsandco wrote:put it in a dremel/drill and dip in paint/paint brush?

Ben

That's the one! (Although points will be deducted if you took the info from the post I put on Facebook to that effect :P )

Also fresh off the workbench - a Comet tank (the best British tank fielded in WW2). Pics will go up soon - too dark to take them now!

Regards,
Gavin

trainsandco

Postby trainsandco » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:52 pm

Black-Marlin wrote:
trainsandco wrote:put it in a dremel/drill and dip in paint/paint brush?

Ben

That's the one! (Although points will be deducted if you took the info from the post I put on Facebook to that effect :P

Nope, I suggested it back on page 95 ;)

Black-Marlin wrote:
trainsandco wrote:or you could somehow attach each one onto a rotary mini drill and have some kind of set up to have clamp the drill in place, and put it into a tub of paint. and then when satisfied take it out and leave it running for a while so the paint doesn't drip back towards the middle.

Just an idea?

Ben

Ben, you're not related to the Great Gonzo by any chance? I mean, the idea is ludicrous...and yet somehow, at the same time, inspired, like Gonzo's reverse bungee-jumping (involving an elasticated rope and a jetpack). No, I don't think I'll be cutting the props back off the plane to try it.

;)

Ben
Henley on Thames in the 30's

Southerner in a weird place called "Yorkshire"...

81D & 55A

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:56 pm

The Comet, on the restored and working layout Tynedale! The first train to complete a circuit ran tonight, and appropriately (given my affection for the locomotive) it was Tornado which did the honours. Anyway, the tank:

Regards,
Gavin

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:31 pm

Last weekend I was paid overtime to come in to work and build my own models - which of course I would have built anyway. Sometimes, my job is a wonderful wonderful thing.... All the models will be making their way on to Starlingford in due course, but in the meantime, here they are:

Italeri M4A2 Sherman III (one of their wargaming kits - you get two kits in the box. One I finished in its standard form; the other I modified with aftermarket whitemetal bits and bobs):

Airfix Cromwell MkIV. Finished as a Normandy example with Culin Hedgerow Cutter and whitemetal Commander figure. I have tank-riding infantry figures on order to complete the vehicle. (Cromwells tended not to carry vast amounts of stowage).

And yours truly, hard at 'work'...! The scenic diorama 'Whither Meffen' is to my left, stocked with Modelzone's LMR shunter and weathered vent vans as well as additional armoured vehicles. Among them - though too small to make out, sorry! - is Oxford Diecast's newly-released Bedford truck in mickey mouse camo. It's a lovely little model - I foresee several showing up on Starlingford!

Regards,
Gavin

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Mon May 28, 2012 2:59 pm

So - a month since my last update. Not good. To be fair, I haven't been home since then, so there is nothing I can do on Starlingford; I have no idea when I *am* going to be home again; and there have been no new releases to get excited about recently.

So why, you may well be asking, is there any update at all?

First of all, a massive thank you to you all for taking the Starlingford thread on NRM past 100,000 views. That's an enormous milestone and I am very grateful to you all that you consider my efforts with this railway interesting enough to view so many times. This thread has been running since 24/02/2008, and in that time I have received valuable advice and many kind words of encouragement, so thank you. A finer bunch of modellers one could not hope to meet.

Secondly, partly to celebrate the 100,000 views, and partly because it had been reduced to half price, there is a new addition to Starlingford's roster! And it is no mere locomotive. Oh no. This time, an entire train pack has been purchased. From Hornby's Barry J Freeman collection, "Days of Red and Gold" will contribute to Starlingford its first non-LNER streamliner, 'City of Chester' in LMS Crimson Lake with three coaches.

It should make a nice counterpart to the Jubilee :D

Oh, and as I predicted, Bedfords have started to arrive (I love the new Oxford Diecast military range. The vehicles are cheaper than kits, diecast, ready-painted, and screwed together so you can take them apart to add figures. What's not to like?). No doubt the build-up will continue until I finally get home and can start putting military convoys together, ready to be loaded on to conflats and hauled away behind an O6 or O4...

Until next time,
Gavin

DonB

Re: Starlingford - 100,000 Views! Thank You!

Postby DonB » Mon May 28, 2012 4:02 pm

Very nice additions, Gavin! :D And congratulations on your milestone!

That little Bedford is rather appealing; I shall no doubt find an excuse for one to appear on Ruddington!

I'm somewhat jealous of your job... Being paid overtime to build models!
Any vacancies?! :wink:

Cheers,

Don
Last edited by DonB on Mon May 28, 2012 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don

My Layout Thread: viewtopic.php?t=14899

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”