Starlingford - The End of the Line

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
mikem64

Re: Starlingford - The Christmas modelling window, pg 108

Postby mikem64 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:56 am

Hi Gavin,

Not a side of the layout we get too see much off, lovely picture as it does show the layout nicely.

Hope you had a wonderful Christmas, being north of the border I'm sure you will be planning a great New Year bash.

All the best,
Mike.
Wordsworth Model Railway Free Downloadable Card Kits can be found at here
http://www.wordsworthmodelrailway.co.uk
The Wordsworth Model Railway Photo Album
https://michael-martin.imgbb.com/

sarah

Postby sarah » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:26 pm

A nice rake of "Davies the Ocean's" wagons there. All the way from South Wales....

Wishing you all a Happy New Year from Sarah and Alex.

(I always wanted to work in a model shop, and make a big display layout for the window, and maybe another inside too! (Like Gamleys and other shops used to do!)

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:16 am

sarah wrote:A nice rake of "Davies the Ocean's" wagons there. All the way from South Wales....

Wishing you all a Happy New Year from Sarah and Alex.

(I always wanted to work in a model shop, and make a big display layout for the window, and maybe another inside too! (Like Gamleys and other shops used to do!)

And a very happy new year to you too! It is in fact my birthday tomorrow, so I'm hoping for some railway-related goodies, but in the meantime, those Ocean wagons with slightly more appropriate motive power (and a great excuse to re-post one of my all-time favourite photos of the layout, despite the very unfinished nature of the scenic work):

Have a great 2012 one and all!
Gavin

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:47 pm

Hello, one and all, and I thought I should update you as to my status: IT'S MY BIRTHDAY, which means model-related woohoo-ness :-) And it appears to be LNER-related happiness, in addition to modeller-advancement delight as well. But first, the LNER: one each of the new Gresley suburbans in their gorgeous teak finish, and two more NE-liveried Trout :-).

And as for the modeller-advancing pressie: a dual-action gravity-feed airbrush and compressor! Now I just have to learn how to use it... But I hope that in the years to come some truly impressive models will make an appearance. We shall see...

Speaking of models still to make an appearance, perhaps it is appropriate that I lay out the 2012 stash, for you to gawk at and ask for updates on... All these things will eventually find their way on to the layout, never fear, so it's not hopelessly inappropriate listing them here. Oh, and all of them are 1:72 scale, with the exception of the Airfix and Parkside Dundas kits...

Dragon 1:72 Churchill

Tamiya 1:72 JSF

RPM 1:72 Staghound MkII

Academy 1:72 B-17 ‘Memphis Belle’ (half completed)
1:72 US 2.5ton Cargo Truck & Accessories

Parkside Dundas 1:76 LNER Twin Bolster Wagon (x2)

Airfix 1:76 Cromwell Mk IV
1:76 Bedford QLT
1:76 Bedford QLD

Italeri 1:72 M4A1 Sherman “Calliope”
1:72 M4A2 Sherman III (x2)
1:72 Pz.Kpfw III Ausf. J (x2)
1:72 PAK 40 AT Gun with servants

Revell 1:72 Torpedo Boat PT 167
1:72 PB4 Y-2 Privateer
1:72 Bristol Beaufighter TF.X
1:72 UC-64A Norseman
1:72 de Havilland Vampire FB.5
1:72 Supermarine Walrus Mk I
1:72 Dornier Do 28D2 Skyservant
1:72 LRDG
1:72 M40 GMC
1:72 Pilots & Ground Crew Royal Air Force WWII

Yeah - I think the airbrush will come in useful for that little lot....!
Regards
Gavin

DrStroganoff

Re: Starlingford - Birthday & The Stash, pg 109

Postby DrStroganoff » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:57 pm

Happy birthday fella. Sounds like you've done well with your birthday haul !

Have fun with your airbrush... and remember to clean it after every use !! :lol:

bocaj

Postby bocaj » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:28 pm

Happy Birthday! I have had a look at the pictures on this page and the first page and they look very good.

Jacob :D

kennyGWSR

Postby kennyGWSR » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:27 pm

Happy Birthday Gav (again! :lol: ) Got a nice selection of kits there, although the Gresley suburbans caught my attention ;) i really must get a couple of them for my N2 and J72!
60089 Felstead :)
Layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=33128
Rail photos: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=28381

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:31 pm

bocaj wrote:Happy Birthday! I have had a look at the pictures on this page and the first page and they look very good.

Jacob :D

Hi Jacob

If you mean this page (109) and the first page (ie page 1) then you should be aware that the pics on page 1 are of a different model railway, 'Wyndham', which was much smaller and has since been scrapped...

DrStroganoff wrote:Happy birthday fella. Sounds like you've done well with your birthday haul !
Have fun with your airbrush... and remember to clean it after every use !! :lol:

Duly noted, sir!

mikem64 wrote:Hi Gavin,
Not a side of the layout we get too see much off, lovely picture as it does show the layout nicely.
Hope you had a wonderful Christmas, being north of the border I'm sure you will be planning a great New Year bash.
All the best,
Mike.

You know me, Mike; I do my best....

As for pics of this side of the layout:

Enjoy!
Gavin

ChrisWV10

Postby ChrisWV10 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:24 pm

Woohoo! Happy birthday Gavin :D

Do I spy LMS infiltrators?

C. ;)

sarah

Postby sarah » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:00 pm

A question for someone.

The Well Wagons with NE on them.

Did the LNER get some from the GWR, as they have GWR Brake Handles?

(I know that they are RTR as shown, did Bachmann get it right?)

ceejaydee

Postby ceejaydee » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:35 pm

sarah wrote:A question for someone.

The Well Wagons with NE on them.

Did the LNER get some from the GWR, as they have GWR Brake Handles?

(I know that they are RTR as shown, did Bachmann get it right?)

I'd have guessed it was a straight repaint by Bachmann of the former Mainline GWR Crocodile into LNER livery.

I have consulted my LNER Wagons book (Tatlow) and can't find any reference to the LNER using ex-GWR well wagons but the book is not exhaustive and am open to any additional information that anyone else has.

I certainly wish I had the space available that Gavin has for his layout :wink:
Regards
Christopher D.

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:13 am

From those fine folks on the LNER encyclopedia site:

A Q6 would certainly be very apt for the bogie well wagon, as the details infer a North Eastern origin, and the similarity with images in Tatlow's Volume Two of LNER Wagons on Page 149 are there to be seen. The Bacmann wagon displays the number 77823, which is the same number in Tatlow. The wagon in Tatlow is an ex-NER 35 ton flat trolley, built in 1914, to diagram J17, and coded Flatrol M, as on the Bachmann wagon. In addition, the Bachmann wagon comes with a boiler as the load, and the Tatlow image shows a boiler also, albeit that the boiler in Tatlow is much larger. The wagon appears to have been based out of South Stockton, or Thornaby-on-Tees as later called. It would have been gainfully employed in the area renowned for its iron and steel works, together with the local heavy engineering firms that were established along the railway network in the area. The Tatlow image is one with a boiler made by Riley Brothers of Stockton, and other local firms included Tees Bridge and Engineering, and Head Wrightsons who were all heavily involved in the manufacture of bridge components, large steel structures, boilers, condensers, etc - 77823 and its like would have certainly earned their keep in this area.

Which is answered with :

I found a picture of the Bachmann well wagon with Riley boiler, catalogue no. 33-875, on ebay. It seems to be the same wagon as 33-901D - bogie well wagon in BR grey - which I bought recently; except the latest version has plate frame instead of diamond frame bogies. Bachmann also sell a version in GWR grey, and I'm guessing that the wagon is actually based on the GWR prototype, because the pictures of an ex-LNER Weltrol on Paul Bartlett's photo website show significant differences from Bachmann's model. For example, the ends over the bogies are not a flat plate, but an open network of girder struts, and the framework to the well is quite different.

So there you go. It's a GWR wagon repainted into NE livery, but it's not a million miles from an LNER prototype and the markings are as accurate as can be reasonably expected.

Regards,
Gavin.

Click on this to see them in action!:

Mighty

Postby Mighty » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:06 pm

Hi Gavin

Love the birthday stash and very pleased to see you landed some trouts ;) The engineering train is fantastic and looks great trundling round the tracks.

Keep up the good work

Cheers

Chris
"We've shot off over a million cannon shells, and what's the result? One dachschund with a slight limp." - Blackadder

My layout thread: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=20737

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:36 pm

Mighty wrote:Hi Gavin
Love the birthday stash and very pleased to see you landed some trouts ;) The engineering train is fantastic and looks great trundling round the tracks.
Keep up the good work
Cheers
Chris

Mighty! How lovely to se you back again :)

The good work is indeed being kept up...in fact, 3 more trout are now decorating my windowshelf behind a V3...

The perils of staff discount! :?

G

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”