Starlingford - The End of the Line

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Two Hoots

Re: Starlingford - Tornado on Tynedale, pg 106

Postby Two Hoots » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:25 pm

I'm assuming from the pictures that Tynedale has been completely repaired?

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:38 pm

Two Hoots wrote:I'm assuming from the pictures that Tynedale has been completely repaired?

Oh no - still have a bridge to build! But some scenic repair has taken place :)

DonB

Postby DonB » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:58 pm

Hi Gavin,

Tornado certainly looks at home on Tynedale! :D

Glad to hear that the layout is 'on the mend' as it were... Any news on the scumbags that damaged it?

Don
Don

My Layout Thread: viewtopic.php?t=14899

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:48 pm

Hi folks

Been a while, eh? Never fear, I am not dead (though I did have the flu - proper flu, not man-flu - which put me to bed for a week :( ) but I am rather better now.

I have some more pics of Tynedale for your pleasure (Tynedale is a layout on which work is only progressing achingly slowly), featuring locos all here should know and love - Gresley D49 Cheshire and A3 Humorist (a model which, IIRC, is Hornby's 'last hurrah' for the tender-drive).

Oh, and one other thing - it's Aberdeen MRC's exhibition this weekend. Come along to the RGU sports hall and support us! Tynedale won't be there but Ravensmead, our big modern-image O-gauge layout, will be in full swing, as will Thomas the tank engine in 00. You can catch me there, where I'll be demonstrating how to improve Bachmann's Thomas locos by scratch-building cab backheads for them... :?

Anyway - pics!

regards,
Gavin

Durseytu
Location: Trying to make progress on the layout... pigs will fly (hohoho)

Postby Durseytu » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:58 pm

Ooooh Humorist looks frankly superb at the front of that scale rake of Gresley teaks. I should love to go to the exhibition, but alas Aberdeen is a wee bit too far for me to go, being all the way down here near London! It's good to see that Tynedale is coming along nicely after some spanners had a go at it. Do get some pics of the exhibition; it will be good to see.

And yes I can sympathise with the flu; I have had it recently too, and I can't quite remember a time when I have had flu quite so badly before.

Cheers,

Stuart
ImageImage

kennyGWSR

Postby kennyGWSR » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:30 am

Might have to sneak over to yours to 'borrow without permission' your Cheshire :lol:
A lovely set of photos there Gav, that A3 certainly looks superb on that rake of Gresleys!
60089 Felstead :)
Layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=33128
Rail photos: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=28381

sarah

Postby sarah » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:57 pm

Flu...a lot of it about again.

My sympathies!

(Ffrwd is out of storage, finally, so now I have far too much to keep me occupied!)

I am still about too!

Mighty

Postby Mighty » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:14 pm

Hi Gavin

Sorry to hear about your flu - I sympathise. Man-flu (I mean flu...) is terrible and I know how you feel having just had a week off :oops:

Good see some green engines whizzing about, though shame they are the wrong colour :lol: Glad to hear you've joined a club and got proactive with a few friends to produce something. Keep up the good work!

Chris
"We've shot off over a million cannon shells, and what's the result? One dachschund with a slight limp." - Blackadder

My layout thread: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=20737

Jw90

Postby Jw90 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:58 pm

Hi Gavin,

First time I've had the opportunity to comment on this layout and its brilliant,
took me a fair while to read through it all at first and love it, not at all jealous of the running space and locos you have :P
Shame to hear about the flu, gets us all from time to time.
Keep up the brilliant work and the photos.

Jack

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:46 pm

Durseytu wrote:And yes I can sympathise with the flu; I have had it recently too, and I can't quite remember a time when I have had flu quite so badly before.
Cheers,
Stuart

sarah wrote:Flu...a lot of it about again.
My sympathies!

Mighty wrote:Hi Gavin
Sorry to hear about your flu - I sympathise.
Chris

Thank you all for your kindness! However, I am in fine fettle once again. Ever better fettle, indeed, now that I have managed to get a job to keep body and soul together. A job, what's more, in my local Nirvana - behold Modelzone's newest employee... :D How will I reward myself and take shameless advantage of the staff discount? Hmmm...NE-liveried Trout ballast hoppers, I hear you calling...

The exhibition itself went rather well. I wound up doing a practical modelling demonstration over the weekend, building the Academy 1:72 kit of B17 'Memphis Belle' and - because a public exhibition is clearly the time and place to attempt new adventures in modelling techniques (!) - even motorising it! The build isn't finished yet, but if there is sufficient demand I will put up the pics once I'm done.

Speaking of pics, a couple more of Tynedale;

Mighty wrote:Good see some green engines whizzing about, though shame they are the wrong colour :lol:

Ah, but a new loco has joined the roster - won in a raffle at the exhibition no less! My second of a favourite model class: N15 'Sir Gawain' (my namesake loco!) in early weathered BR Green. Pics will appear in due course - how does the prospect of this loco with 7 blood-and-custard Mk1s sound? :wink:

Jw90 wrote:Hi Gavin,

First time I've had the opportunity to comment on this layout and its brilliant,
took me a fair while to read through it all at first and love it, not at all jealous of the running space and locos you have :P
Shame to hear about the flu, gets us all from time to time.
Keep up the brilliant work and the photos.

Jack

Hi Jack, nice to meet you :)

Glad to hear you're enjoying my efforts! Hopefully my (many, many) mistakes will prove instructive :lol:

Now, I have been dared to put this picture up. I was dared on the basis that no one would otherwise believe just how grotty my 'modelling tee-shirt' is. At least with this particular garment I never, ever have to fear spilling paint on it... I was given it when I was 9 years old: now, to continue using it, I have had to cut off the neck and the sleeves. Behold the majesty ( :? ):

Finally...

After receiving numerous very positive comments at the exhibition, and even a couple of requests from other exhibitors, I am starting to think about setting up a small web business detailing locomotives. I can paint up cabs, add crew, add the detailing packs making sure that everything will work on the radii of a specific layout...in certain cases I can even scratchbuild the backhead details. What do you guys think? Is this a good idea, or another one of Gavin's Patented Dumbass Moments?

Your thoughts?
Gavin
:D

Black-Marlin

Re: Starlingford - Home of Modelzone's newest employee, pg 107

Postby Black-Marlin » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:13 pm

For fans of Crimson Lake:

:D

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:26 pm

Black-Marlin wrote:
Mighty wrote:Good see some green engines whizzing about, though shame they are the wrong colour :lol:

Ah, but a new loco has joined the roster - won in a raffle at the exhibition no less! My second of a favourite model class: N15 'Sir Gawain' (my namesake loco!) in early weathered BR Green. Pics will appear in due course - how does the prospect of this loco with 7 blood-and-custard Mk1s sound? :wink:

Arise Sir Gawain

Garethp8873

Postby Garethp8873 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:28 pm

The N15 is certainly one of the best locos I have seen and own. Although mine is in Southern livery and it Etarre, they make a fine loco. Only problem mine has ever had is with the small pipes next to the front wheels. If not checked, they can de rail the loco easily.

Gareth
[IMG]http://img847.imageshack.us/img847/7691/38723965n03.jpg[/IMG]

[size=3][url]http://www.flickr.com/photos/svr_enthusiast/[/url][/size]

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:30 pm

Garethp8873 wrote:The N15 is certainly one of the best locos I have seen and own. Although mine is in Southern livery and it Etarre, they make a fine loco. Only problem mine has ever had is with the small pipes next to the front wheels. If not checked, they can de rail the loco easily.

Gareth

Yes, particularly when using 2nd radius curves... my solution is usually either to angle the pipes away from the loco (as I did on Tornado) or trim them back (as I did on Royal Inniskilling Fusilier). Looking forward to seeing the train run at Christmas either way, though!

And now, some freight on Tynedale:

Regards,
Gavin

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:02 pm

Holidays are coming, holidays are coming...

I'll be heading home in this coming week, so expect new updates on Starlingford! One of the things I really *must* do is build some of the Metcalfe kits I've had knocking around for a couple of years now. It's getting beyond a joke, so I have set aside tomorrow afternoon to build at least one of the terraced house kits I have. Also heading home with me are a few new wagons, including three of Bachmann's steel-sided NE opens as well as a couple more of Hornby's 5-plank offerings (far and away my favourite of the Hornby PO wagons, especially when loaded with the now increasingly-hard-to-find Skaledale coal loads). My rake now consists of 20, 9 of them the NE-liveried ones, and they look awfully good behind my O4 (which I will have to remember to take home with me as well, since it too has been living in Aberdeen!) My brother has got me two of the NE-liveried 'Trout' ballast wagons, so they'll appear behind something-or-other (probably the J39, although Bigmet tells me it is really too grandiose a locomotive for a humble engineering train).

In other news, a range of new military vehicles will be making their debut, and I hope to get some more work done on scenery. My prime candidate for upgrading, in the very brief window open to me, is the suspension bridge: having improved the viaduct considerably by simply repainting it, now it is the suspension bridge's turn. Concrete textured paint - brushable, as opposed to sprayable - finally hove into view at the Aberdeen model railway exhibition after literally months of searching, courtesy of Squires, so it is top of my list of things to do. Stay tuned for updates over the next fortnight, folks!

Holidays are coming, holidays are coming...

Gavin

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”