Starlingford - The End of the Line

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Durseytu
Location: Trying to make progress on the layout... pigs will fly (hohoho)

Re: Starlingford - Picture Perfect, pg 103

Postby Durseytu » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:29 pm

Black-Marlin wrote:I remember the Royal Scot...for what else am I being blamed? :?

Hehe, possibly quite a few. I suppose the main one is the Royal Scot but I could argue for what I would like to buy. Sorry to accuse you unjustly! :P

Also on a separate note which is the Battle of Britain seen in the siding alongside Tornado in this picture?

I've been warming to the spam cans quite a bit, although it seems that Hornby's latest round of offerings are almost all gone should I want one. :?

Cheers,

Stuart
ImageImage

Black-Marlin

Re: Starlingford - Days of Green & Gold, pg 105

Postby Black-Marlin » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:58 pm

Hi Stuart

The spam can in question is Winston Churchill, a special edition from (I think) 2004. I bought it for my Dad, who has a very clear recollection of seeing the funeral train on the news when he was a boy.

And, yet again, it's new page, new pics time!

A couple of pics of the 9F, first of all: note the driver now cheerily waving out of the cab window:

And everybody's favourite source of Midlands motive power:

The now-notorious Southern milk train:

And finally the full and complete (as in, I won't be adding anything more to it) ballast train. It's worth noting the composition, as it's pretty varied: a ViTrains 37, 2 Hornby Sealions, 4 Bachmann Limpets, a Heljan Dogfish, 2 Flangeway Mermaids and a Hornby Shark!

Have fun folks!
Gavin

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:25 pm

Aw Gav man, you have just made my evening! Lovely pix of the late-crest locos! :) Really love that Spam-Can too 8)

Oh, and the SR milk train...majik :twisted:

Never a dull moment mate...

Cheers

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

35011 GSN

Postby 35011 GSN » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:44 am

must agree the spamcan is lovely and i am very jealous of that 9f :lol:

kennyGWSR

Postby kennyGWSR » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:09 am

Lovely photos Gav, i also have 34051 which i have paired with the funeral van and my other pullmans too! :D But your recreation looks much better!
Kenny.
60089 Felstead :)
Layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=33128
Rail photos: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=28381

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:45 pm

Evening all...

New Youtube-ery!

Enjoy yourselves with Starlingford - Smooth Runnings.

Cheers,
Gavin

Black-Marlin

Re: Starlingford - Smooth Running on Youtube, pg 106

Postby Black-Marlin » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:43 pm

Hi folks

After a weekend at home - my sister, a nurse, is just back from having done several months voluntary work in Mozambique, and it was an opportunity for the whole family to be reunited for the first time since Christmas - I took a couple of pictures of not just one of my favourite locomotives but one of my favourite trains. Behold City of Lancaster on an 8-coach (+CCT) sleeper service:

(This is admittedly slightly out of focus, but on the other hand, it does show off the extent to which the foliage is - after much direct sunlight - fading into much more natural-looking variations in shade!)

This last picture highlights an area I've been giving some thought recently. The tarmac'd area between the mainline and the end of the siding doesn't really add anything of any visual interest - it's really quite dull and doesn't look quite right, either. I've been thinking (oh no! Run for the hills!) that perhaps a cattle dock of some description could usefully be there emplaced. It would fill the space (since I would be scratch-building it to fit the area's footprint) and give me a reason for the LNER Horsebox lorry you can see in some of the pics over the last couple of pages. It would also give me an excuse to get a couple of Hornby's new horseboxes, or indeed to build a couple of the Parkside cattle wagons...

What do you guys think? A good idea, or does it clutter up an area better off left without it?

Regards,
Gavin

cmeonthemove

Postby cmeonthemove » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:45 pm

I think all the tarmac area needs is a little vegetation either side just to break it up and blend it in with the fencing and the siding. A cattle dock probably would be a bit cluttered. I like what you've done so far. I also enjoyed the video, although the sounds over the 37 video were different! (I've got some class 37 videos that you could dub the sound of onto your video if you prefer, or if you want to email your 37 videos I can add the sound this end...)

siquelme

Postby siquelme » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:47 pm

Video was a good watch have you ever done a train cam video tour around the layout?
Great Western Modeller for my sins
My Blog http://brookescastle.blogspot.com/

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:27 pm

cmeonthemove wrote:I also enjoyed the video, although the sounds over the 37 video were different! (I've got some class 37 videos that you could dub the sound of onto your video if you prefer, or if you want to email your 37 videos I can add the sound this end...)

Hi cme

(First of all, a question that's been bugging me: is 'cmeonthemove' a play on 'see me on the move' or 'Chief Mechanical Engineer on the move'?)

The audio overlay is part of the backing track! I didn't deliberately put the sound of an American locomotive at a level crossing over footage of my 37...! The song in question is 'Sticky Boom Boom' by United Soul Association. (I have just discovered it may have nefarious associations. Don't shoot me for my ignorance!)

As for your offer...I'll have a look through and see if I can find any 37 videos it would be worth the time and effort to edit!

Cheers,
G

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:58 pm

siquelme wrote:Video was a good watch have you ever done a train cam video tour around the layout?

No, I don't have a camera small enough to fit on a wagon. It's something I'd love to try, though :D

G

dman-lewis

Postby dman-lewis » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:29 am

Try this, Its very small and the quality is very good.
808 carkeys spy camera. There is a updated 909 version.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/39259141@N05/ Mostly photos of railway surroundings in my life.
http://whitwellstation.com/

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:37 pm

Something to consider for when I have money!

In the meantime, I have taken Tornado and some stock to Aberdeen and the Tynedale layout. Hope you like the pics!

...And on the teaks...

Regards,
Gavin

trainsandco

Re: Starlingford - Tornado on Tynedale, pg 106

Postby trainsandco » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:42 pm

looking good gavin :)

and tynedale is looking a lot better than last time :D

Ben
Henley on Thames in the 30's

Southerner in a weird place called "Yorkshire"...

81D & 55A

dman-lewis

Re: Starlingford - Tornado on Tynedale, pg 106

Postby dman-lewis » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:40 pm

That camera is about £15 without memory card.

Great pics again.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/39259141@N05/ Mostly photos of railway surroundings in my life.
http://whitwellstation.com/

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”