Starlingford - The End of the Line

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
mattmay05

Re: Starlingford - appearing in BRM August 2010!

Postby mattmay05 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:23 pm

Nice one i will be doing the same thing later with mine... but always seem to end up improving it and putting it off, but eventually i'll be happy with it to get it in a magerzine.

Look forward to reading your small artical :D

bizzyd6405

Postby bizzyd6405 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:04 pm

onceah thats good then i didn't dream the whole thing up :D once again well done

mikem64

Postby mikem64 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:39 pm

Hi Gavin,

Well done my son, your famous.....I can tell everyone "I knew him when he was..........." :D

Good things do come to those that wait. :mrgreen:

Mike.
Wordsworth Model Railway Free Downloadable Card Kits can be found at here
http://www.wordsworthmodelrailway.co.uk

0121modeller
Location: Erdington, Birmingham,.... but can also be found at various railway bridges !

Postby 0121modeller » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:32 am

Black-Marlin wrote:Well folks, it's true: Starlingford does indeed appear on page 90 of August 2010's British Railway Modelling! And for those of you without copies of the magazine, this is the pic they chose to publish:

Cheers for showing that photo then , it will save me buying a copy :) :wink:

Seriously though, congratulations & well done for all your achievements with this Gavin.

Cheers,
Dave.
Scratchbuilding 4mm scale JXA scrapwagons ; - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37620
Scratchbuilt & kit built grappler claw cranes ; - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=36342

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:10 pm

Thank you all for your kind words! I am, to use a steam engine -based phrase, very chuffed at having been included (and the £25 will be spent in due course on something for the railway!), mostly because it's a confirmation that when I finally get this layout anywhere near completion it might be worth taking the time to do a proper article with it and see where it takes me... But again, thank you for your offered congratulations. I really do appreciate it.

In other news, now that this thread has reached truly enormous proportions, I have gone back to the first post and added a table of contents which gives you some idea of what is on each page. Organising this was a very time-consuming task, which I worked on when I had a free moment most of last week, but it should now enable much easier navigation round the thread. I hope this is of some use.

Regards,
Gavin

Michael Thornberry

Postby Michael Thornberry » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:06 pm

Hello Gavin,
Belated congratulations on your, now, enhanced notoriety :P :lol: Some people will do ANYTHING to get their name in print :shock: Hmm Quite an achievement for "a quiet, and at times, timid chap from NI who's currently slumming-it in Aberdeen". See, mate, I told you the "Scottishness" rub-off would eventually stick,
Kind Regards,
Michael Thornberry.

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:37 am

Michael Thornberry wrote:Hello Gavin,
Belated congratulations on your, now, enhanced notoriety :P :lol: Some people will do ANYTHING to get their name in print :shock: Hmm Quite an achievement for "a quiet, and at times, timid chap from NI who's currently slumming-it in Aberdeen". See, mate, I told you the "Scottishness" rub-off would eventually stick,
Kind Regards,
Michael Thornberry.

Thanks mate (allegations of media whoredom aside) - and as for the Scottishness rubbing off... Fit's a' this? D'ye no ken ah'm Irish like?

I'll be heading home in about 2 weeks, and yet I still find myself buying stuff to take with me (if I was really smart, I'd just get it delivered to my house - but then I'd have to explain certain fiscal realities to my parents, which I'd just as soon avoid...). Amazingly, given that this layout has been fully operational for a number of years now, I am still buying track - 5 RH points, in this instance, to expand the fiddleyard to something nearer its full potential. Also, after spending some time chasing down various leads - including some very fine forum fellows - I have managed to expand the ex-LMS BR maroon rake by another 2 coaches. With a buffet car that brings it to a total of 6, which means I can finally start running reasonable-length late-crest BR passenger services that aren't in some way bound up with the Royal Mail or parcels. Look out for some pics of Royal Inniskilling Fusilier at the head of such expresses. (I have to say, more and more the rebuilt Royal Scot is growing on me. I hadn't been overly enthusiastic about the class, but there's something about the sheer functionality of its proportions that has made it increasingly handsome. Or maybe I'm just biased because it has turned out to be a smooth, excellent and powerful model.) Other rolling stock going home for the first time include a 12-wheel LMS dining coach, a couple of tankers (1xWD; 1xEsso), further NE vans to bring the rake up to 18, BR bauxite vans to bring the rake up to 13; and a couple of other random vehicles. Additional scenic material will be returning as well, enabling me to get on with the time-consuming but highly rewarding task of overgrowing everything in sight, as well as adding more buildings to the underdeveloped ares of the layout.

So, jobs for when I'm home: add water; construct embankment; add buildings to town; add buildings to gas works; lay more track in fiddleyard; re-wheel plastic-wheeled stock; ballast viaduct (once water is in place); start scenery around church and military encampment; perhaps write some more reviews of various locos... who was it said a modeller's work is never done? Oh, and take more photos. I have, after all, a lovely LNER O4 that you chaps have not yet seen...!

Cheers folks,
Gavin

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:43 am

And in other momentous news: this is the thread's thousandth post!

Thanks all for enabling the 'long haul'!

Regards,
Gavin

iankemp

Postby iankemp » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:06 pm

Black-Marlin wrote:And in other momentous news: this is the thread's thousandth post!

Thanks all for enabling the 'long haul'!

Regards,
Gavin

No Gavin this one is you miss counted it!!!! :lol:

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:34 pm

iankemp wrote:
No Gavin this one is you miss counted it!!!! :lol:

Actually... 999 replies + 1 original post = 1,000 :wink:

I was right the first time :lol:

G

bizzyd6405

Postby bizzyd6405 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:20 pm

Black-Marlin wrote:
I'll be heading home in about 2 weeks, and yet I still find myself buying stuff to take with me (if I was really smart, I'd just get it delivered to my house - but then I'd have to explain certain fiscal realities to my parents, which I'd just as soon avoid...).

i have the same thing with the missus i've taken to having the bits delivered to my work as in the last month alone i've managed to buy another four loco's for the layout :oops:

and congratulations on reach 1000 post on the starlingford thread i look forward to reading the next 1000.

cheers

Darren

mikem64

Postby mikem64 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:04 pm

Hi Gav,

Sometimes you're just a tease, I can hardly wait for the new photos but I'm not sure I can hold my breathe for 2 weeks....... :wink:

So what do I do now in the mean time............

Oh just going through your list of jobs, how long are you at home for ?

Catch you later.

Mike.
Wordsworth Model Railway Free Downloadable Card Kits can be found at here
http://www.wordsworthmodelrailway.co.uk

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:40 am

Hi Gav

What's all this then? I'm gone five minutes (Well, quite a few weeks actually! :P ) and your layout's splashed on the pages of a mag! Splendid! Seems like forever ago since you first started the thread and it's good to see the layout's continuing to progress. (Any chance of a celebratory gratuitous bridge video to celebrate belatedly? ;) )

Cheers fella, hope all's well on your side of the tracks

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:31 pm

bizzyd6405 wrote:in the last month alone i've managed to buy another four loco's for the layout :oops:

You know, that makes me feel so much better... cheers, Darren!

mikem64 wrote:Oh just going through your list of jobs, how long are you at home for ?

Hi Mike. I'll be home for just over two weeks - lots of modelling time! Besides, some of the jobs I mentioned really are quick ones - ballasting the viaduct, for instance; or planting buildings (I just bought a Skaledale goods shed to replace my knackered Superquick one. It's taken a while to find one suitable - all the current Skaledale models are far too wide, and I had to wait until one of the older ones came up on Ebay, but that's another task I can tick off the list. It also means I can properly ballast that siding, as I had been waiting for the replacement which I knew I would have to bed in). Fun fun fun...

Infrontcat wrote:Hi Gav

What's all this then? I'm gone five minutes (Well, quite a few weeks actually! :P ) and your layout's splashed on the pages of a mag! Splendid! Seems like forever ago since you first started the thread and it's good to see the layout's continuing to progress. (Any chance of a celebratory gratuitous bridge video to celebrate belatedly? ;) )

Cheers fella, hope all's well on your side of the tracks

Tim

Ah, Tim! You first commented on this layout way back on page 2, which makes you (I think) the thread's longest continuous reader other than myself...as a result, and as specifically requested by you: a previously unseen bridge video...

Enjoy!
Gavin

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:24 pm

Splendid! 8)
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”