Starlingford - The End of the Line

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
rocketman

Re: Starlingford - Easter Excursion Begins, pg58!

Postby rocketman » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:58 pm

That was not semantics, it was syntax
rocketman

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:04 pm

rocketman wrote:That was not semantics, it was syntax
rocketman

It was primarily semantic: I want to know what 'bastardised poetry' actually means. My criticism of your syntax was merely in passing.

Nice try, though. :wink:

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:30 pm

Final update of the day -

The kohlrabi are also sprouting in the second of the five allotments (total plantation now 30% complete!)

More updates as and when, folks.
G

GROTLAND

Re: Starlingford - Dealing with vegetables, pg59

Postby GROTLAND » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:24 am

Your vegetables and growth have always impressed me Gavin......they do look great!
If Natasha needs a day off the root crops just point her in my direction.

Road Stone

Postby Road Stone » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:35 am

Love the rutted track along side the stone wall next to the siding.

Keep the pixs coming and thanks.

Jerry
I know Nothing!

rocketman

Postby rocketman » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:40 am

Nice veggies (and no comments about how yours shall grow)
Please carry on modeling and don't become distracted.
In response to your expressed incredulity I include these brief definitions for you
sheer 1  (shîr)
intr. & tr.v. sheered, sheer·ing, sheers
To swerve or cause to swerve from a course.
n.
1. A swerving or deviating course.
2. Nautical
a. The upward curve or amount of upward curve of the longitudinal lines of a ship's hull as viewed from the side.
b. The position in which a ship at anchor is maintained in order to keep it clear of the anchor.
bas·tard·ize  (bstr-dz)
tr.v. bas·tard·ized, bas·tard·iz·ing, bas·tard·iz·es
1. To lower in quality or character; debase.
2. To declare or prove (someone) to be a *word censored*.

regards,
rocketman

bizzyd6405

Postby bizzyd6405 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:56 am

Black-Marlin wrote:But here are a few pics for those of you (you know who you are) who have been waiting for ballast trains to appear on Starlingford... Enjoy!

Regards,
G

think that might be aimed at me :D the ballast train looks great Gavin fits really well on Starlingford also the class 37 The Northern Lights in intercity livery looks good what carriages is it pulling? i think there mk2'?

cheers

Darren

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:14 am

Andrew, as it happens one of my wee gardening women has gone missing! She's not weeding on Leith Baltic, is she? :wink:

Jerry, I wrote a blog post on how to make that kind of rutted track. You can find it here

Darren, glad you like the ballast train! The coaches are, I think, the early (ie non-flushed-glazed, non NEM-pocket-fitted) Bachmann M1s. I picked up all 5, pre-weathered, on Ebay for a total of £16! And behind them are three Hornby Motorail GUVs.

Rocketman, this is the last time I will comment on English usage, because it's now very clear that it's not worth having the argument with you - you don't know enough for it to be worthwhile. I can tell because you used the word 'sheer' as an adjective, not a noun, and if you're making mistakes that basic then there's clearly no point in going on. Equally, the aesthetic flexibility of poetry as a form of communication is such that it cannot be debased: if it's 'bastardised', it is no longer poetry (propaganda would be a good example of this). It may be verse; it may be doggerel: but it ain't poetry. Frankly, rocketman, until your own use of English improves it's not a good idea to attempt to correct other people - never was the aphorism "People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones" more apposite. And you certainly shouldn't try it on the thread of someone who happens to be an expert on the topic. In short: if you're not going to talk about the railway, then please don't comment at all. It only adds to the 'fluff' you purport to so detest.

Regards,
Gavin

bizzyd6405

Postby bizzyd6405 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:36 am

Black-Marlin wrote:
Darren, glad you like the ballast train! The coaches are, I think, the early (ie non-flushed-glazed, non NEM-pocket-fitted) Bachmann M1s. I picked up all 5, pre-weathered, on Ebay for a total of £16! And behind them are three Hornby Motorail GUVs.

i look forward to seeing some more pictures of the class 37 hauling the coaches as i'm currently planning on getting a class 47 in intercity livery a couple of mk1/mk2 in intercity followed by a dvt in intercity not sure how it would look thou think i might need to use mk3 instead

anyway i look forward to seeing more updates

cheers

Darren

BR125

Postby BR125 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:41 pm

Nice vegetables Gavin.....ooer! :shock: :D really enjoying the new pics mate and the diesels look great on your layout,keep up the great work.

Regards
Daz
ImageWith my silken line and delicate hook,i wander in a myriad of ripples and find freedom!

mikem64

Postby mikem64 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:31 pm

Hi Gavin,

See the usual high standard that I expect from you. Just love the veg patch, coming along just nicely, what will get planted next ?

Didn't get my Black K3, so I'll just have to keep looking at the one running on your layout for now. (Or maybe get my green one fitted with it's decoder)

Anyway keep the pic's coming.

Mike.
Wordsworth Model Railway Free Downloadable Card Kits can be found at here
http://www.wordsworthmodelrailway.co.uk

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:44 pm

BR125 wrote:Nice vegetables Gavin.....ooer! :shock: :D really enjoying the new pics mate and the diesels look great on your layout,keep up the great work.

Regards
Daz

Thanks Darren! Yeah, the vegetables look the business (after this update it's back to the attic I go to finish the fennel, and then the remaining allotment space will go to the pumpkins).

Here are some pics (already outdated - I'm working quite fast :shock: ), for you, of vegetables and diesels!

mikem64 wrote:Hi Gavin,

See the usual high standard that I expect from you. Just love the veg patch, coming along just nicely, what will get planted next ?

Didn't get my Black K3, so I'll just have to keep looking at the one running on your layout for now. (Or maybe get my green one fitted with it's decoder)

Anyway keep the pic's coming.

Mike.

Hi Mike

Having finished courgettes, more fennel and then pumpkins will be next. Shame about the K3, but having messed about on Photobucket perhaps this will help alleviate some of the pain of its having passed by?

Regards,
Gavin

Durseytu
Location: Trying to make progress on the layout... pigs will fly (hohoho)

Postby Durseytu » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:47 pm

Love the allotments! Where did you get the veggies and also have you used a brown earth scatter for the... well earth...? The effect looks really good! I'm hoping to make a ploughed field on one corner of my layout so a few pointers on how you went about making the mounds in the veggie planters would be grand.

Keep up the good work; I’ve been enjoying watching this thread.

Cheers,

Stuart.

P.S. How did someone manage to crash their car into that tree?
ImageImage

50010Monarch

Postby 50010Monarch » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:12 pm

I may add a few veggies in the Knaresborough layout.

Let me think...... I know plant a few Leicester City players in the veg patch and hey presto the biggest Veggies in town........

Only if your a Derby fan though.

No offence meant.

HONEST :twisted:

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:14 am

Durseytu wrote:Love the allotments! Where did you get the veggies and also have you used a brown earth scatter for the... well earth...? The effect looks really good! I'm hoping to make a ploughed field on one corner of my layout so a few pointers on how you went about making the mounds in the veggie planters would be grand.

Keep up the good work; I’ve been enjoying watching this thread.

Cheers,

Stuart.

P.S. How did someone manage to crash their car into that tree?

Hi Stuart

The veggies are made by the (appropriately named) German manufacturer 'Busch'; the earth scatter is made by Peco, and the tilled earth of the planters comes from cutting a Noch ploughed field into strips! To achieve the same effect for your own ploughed field, either buy the Noch product or, to do it on the cheap, cover some corrugated cardboard in the earth scatter!

As for the car - it's not actually crashed, as such: it's simply a spectacular example of parallel parking...

50010Monarch wrote:I may add a few veggies in the Knaresborough layout.

Let me think...... I know plant a few Leicester City players in the veg patch and hey presto the biggest Veggies in town........

Only if your a Derby fan though.

No offence meant.

HONEST :twisted:

Don't worry, Monarch - no offence taken, as I have approximately the same devotion to all football as I have to contracting bubonic plague. :wink:

In other news, I have been adding yet more vegetation: total progress is now roughly 60%. More fennel, courgettes and now pumpkins are evident! (I'm most pleased with the courgettes, as each plant is a 7-piece kit that includes 2 yellow flowers each about 1 cubic millimetre in size :shock: )

Regards,
Gavin

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”