Starlingford - The End of the Line

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Cjones_LNER

Re: Starlingford - New Pics, pg51!

Postby Cjones_LNER » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:32 pm

Black-Marlin wrote:The two previous literary trains that have appeared on Starlingford are for the poets Louis MacNeice and WH Auden. You can see both on this page of the thread (posts 3 & 8).

Cheers,
Gavin

Fantastic, the photography is great :D , I always liked "Night Mail", something about just struck a chord in me. oh, and call me Chris :D
- "You can't own property, man!"
- "I can, but thats because I'm not a penniless hippy!

NSE DAZ

Postby NSE DAZ » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:52 pm

Hi Gavin, i am loving those 37's keep the pictures coming they are great 8)

Many thanks

Darren NSE DAZ
Unleashing the toothpaste livery!!!Thank you for travelling Network SouthEast

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:07 pm

Hi Gavin :)

Nice to see some more shots of your little beauty! I especially like the shot of the two pre-Brunswick-as-standard Pacifics passing on the bridge! Terrific shot 8)

Cheers fella

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:25 am

Hi again folks!

It's been a truly awful couple of weeks, what with stress, ill health, and unbelievable amounts of work all jostling for first place in the 'things Gavin should be worried about' competition, but as of yesterday things are much improved and the world, it seems, isn't about to end. So, in a celebrational mood, I made some wee purchases for Starlingford: some flowers (to make gorse on the cliff faces), some rhubarb (for the allotments), and a little fisherman's jetty (for the bottom of the cliff). This last is particularly important, as it is my intention, at the end of March/start of April, to 'do' the sea properly, with lapping waves, subtle colour variations (thus really putting my skills as an artist to the test) and and glossy varnishings to make it satisfactorily 'wet'. I'm really looking forward to it (hell, I'm really looking forward to being home; neither these last few weeks nor likely the ones immediately to come have been fun or easy).

So. Not much of an update, but one that marks a small turning-point and not, therefore, unimportant.

And a couple of pics for you all:

Two ex-LMS 4-6-0s pass at the tunnel mouths:

Visible from the treetops, a K3 heads a van train over the viaduct

The Yard bustles with activity

An A3 and O6 pass at the castle

...and a 61xx takes a stopping passenger service across the suspension bridge

Regards,
Gavin

sishades

Postby sishades » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:40 am

I like to see a layout where the owner runs what ever they please. You should post this on RMWeb and then stand back and watch them panic. Nice work.
High towards the far post,Howard with a header,Hes done it!Steve Howard has scored for Leicester City,Bedlam here at the Walkers Stadium. the Leeds United players are flat out on the turf in utter despair. Leicester City are going to win again

bizzyd6405

Postby bizzyd6405 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:26 pm

great pictures as ever Gavin the rock face at the tunnel entrances looks amazing, also i bet you can't wait to get your civil engineers stock back to starlingford for your 37 to haul.

cheers

Darren

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:28 pm

Hi folks!

Don't worry, Ben; you were confronting 'mild exasperation' as opposed to 'earth-shattering apoplexy', so all is well. :wink:

Darren, you're quite right: I am looking forward to the civil engineering train...mmm...maybe with a double-headed intercity on the other track...

Right: pics!

(The vegetable boxes behind the joiner are a Harburn Hobbies product, and excellent!)

Regards,
Gavin

Black-Marlin

Re: Starlingford - New Pics (as demanded), pg52!

Postby Black-Marlin » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:18 pm

Right. So...flights home are booked, which enables me to confirm that the next Starlingford modelling period will begin on the last weekend in March. Running highlights will (hopefully) include Tornado on a correct charter rake; British Steel Hunterston on a full engineering train; Northern Lights and Highland Region operating Intercity passenger and parcels services; and the O6 on a scale-length tank train.

Scenically, there are a range of jobs I want to accomplish ranging from the small and fiddly to the large not-so-fiddly (and from there to the very large and really-quite-fiddly-too!). I really must try and get the allotments sorted, now that I have (I think) sufficient vegetables; I should really finish the ballasting for the cutting (the other tunnel mouth, of which there are no pictures as yet) and then build the cutting; the viaduct needs repainting to remove the horrible plastic 'sheen' from the arches; and then there is the sea. Apply, sculpt, paint, varnish.

So lots of work to do, but I'm looking forward to it!

In the meantime, here are some pics for you all...

Tornado enters the tunnel as she crosses over a navy barge hugging the shoreline

BR Blue B12 crossing the shiny plastic viaduct

...as is this Jinty, heading a rake of 6-wheel milk vans

Another shot of Churchill's funeral coach, in position in the Pullman rake

A B12, having dumped a load of ash from its smokebox, moves back as a J72 comes alongside with a couple of ash wagons. In the foreground a GW Hall on an evaluation exchange sits in the platform siding

The Yard is busy! The aforementioned cutting will run along the back of the layout, to the right of the copydex bottle you can see at the back.

Regards,
Gavin

Itsonlyme

Postby Itsonlyme » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:44 pm

I really like how the cliff has come out, really nice pictures, i think it has come along way since i last checked out this topic

trainsandco

Postby trainsandco » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:26 pm

cant wait to see some more of your pictures!!!

when you say tornado with a realistic charter train, does that mean your going to have a dirty 67 at the end, a BR marron mk1 directly behind the engine, 6 custard and cream Mk1's 1 Mk2 in custard and cream and then 7 Mk2 in Blue and cream?!?! :P

Ben
A layout is never finished, it's just a shortage of ideas.

Film-making Railway Enthusiast.

81D

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:45 am

trainsandco wrote:cant wait to see some more of your pictures!!!

when you say tornado with a realistic charter train, does that mean your going to have a dirty 67 at the end, a BR marron mk1 directly behind the engine, 6 custard and cream Mk1's 1 Mk2 in custard and cream and then 7 Mk2 in Blue and cream?!?! :P

Ben

Umm...no. I don't have room for a 14-coach train. But I can get the first half of it right... :wink:

Random

Postby Random » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:28 am

Where'd you buy the Tornado?

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:01 pm

Random wrote:Where'd you buy the Tornado?

Tornado at Hattons

I bought Tornado at Hattons, but they appear to have sold out. As have Rails of Sheffield. There's a few on Ebay at the minute, but they're going for too much, so I should wait if I was you!

Cheers,
Gavin

Random

Postby Random » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:05 pm

Black-Marlin wrote:I bought Tornado at Hattons, but they appear to have sold out. As have Rails of Sheffield. There's a few on Ebay at the minute, but they're going for too much, so I should wait if I was you!

I was hoping you knew of a shop that hadn't sold out. Most don't seem to know when they're getting more stock, the rest are saying "Stock due in October", which is quite a wait.

Oh well, looks like I won't be getting one with my birthday money...

Cjones_LNER

Re: Starlingford

Postby Cjones_LNER » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:14 pm

Black-Marlin wrote:A lovely shed scene:

The LNER tank engine which seems to take centre stage in this picture intrigues me, what class and what manufacturer? also what was the product code?

anyway keep up the excellent photography :lol:
- "You can't own property, man!"
- "I can, but thats because I'm not a penniless hippy!

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”