Starlingford - The End of the Line

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
mikem64

Re: Starlingford - Brand-New pics and video, Pg 42!

Postby mikem64 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:49 am

Hi Gavin,

I haven't been on the forum for a few weeks, so I thought I'd catch up as I have a cuppa....Very nice :mrgreen:

Love the new additions to your loco fleet, and I really like the rock face, I'm not sure if my idea of covering my cliff face in plaster will work now ? :cry:

Is that cork bark you've used ? and is it just glued in place with PVA ? There has too be more to it than what these final photo's show ?

Mike.
Wordsworth Model Railway Free Downloadable Card Kits can be found at here
http://www.wordsworthmodelrailway.co.uk

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:49 pm

mikem64 wrote:Hi Gavin,

I haven't been on the forum for a few weeks, so I thought I'd catch up as I have a cuppa....Very nice :mrgreen:

Love the new additions to your loco fleet, and I really like the rock face, I'm not sure if my idea of covering my cliff face in plaster will work now ? :cry:

Is that cork bark you've used ? and is it just glued in place with PVA ? There has too be more to it than what these final photo's show ?

Mike.

Hi Mike, nice to see you again! Yes, it really is just cork bark, hot-glued to expanded polystyrene roughly carved to shape. Other scenic bits in and around the rock faces use my now-traditional materials: lichen, fine leaf foliage, hanging basket liner (small clumps of which can be torn off the sheet and used to disguise any white polystyrene showing through) and, of course, Copydex in unimaginably vast quantities holding everything together!

As a cliff-making technique, plaster will certainly work, and in fact my original intention was to use Artex for precisely that purpose. My concern, upon thinking about it, was more to do with building a complicated substructure beneath it to get everything to the right basic shape, and then, after application, painting it accurately - there are a huge number of subtle variations in shade, and actually cork bark does all that work for you. You just have to be careful that you apply it in such a way that the ridges naturally occurring in the bark are positioned so as to suggest strata. I hope I've made it work, but certainly I like what I've accomplished! :D

Finally, to answer the question you asked in your thread, a cyanoacetate-based adhesive (superglue, such as Loctite) is perfectly sufficient for gluing whitemetal. :wink:

Cheers again,
Gavin

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:58 am

So, today's achievements are: more-or-less finishing the rock faces (I have less than 2 square inches still to do, and they're just the wee fiddly 'fill-in-the-gaps' type tasks I so dislike!); and building a coaster that I'm really looking forward to painting and detailing. The kit was hard, though - vac-formed pieces that had to be cut to the correct shape. It's probably best to think of it as equivalent to a nautical Wills Craftsman kit. If anyone is interested, they're available via Ebay here.

Tomorrow I shall take pictures, but the really significant accomplishment is the combination of coaster and rock-face down to the waterline: together, these mean that I can start to position things accurately, and once I'm happy with everything's final location I can mark it out, mask it up and then... out with the Artex, away with the blue paper, and on with the dimpled sea! Once that's done I can ballast the viaduct, paint the sea surface, and then varnish it up to a high gloss. I have to say I'm really looking forward to this, as an effective water feature is about the single most attractive piece of scenery one can put on a layout, particularly if it is overshadowed by a bridge or two... :D

Total number of boats on the layout: 5; total number of bags of cork used: 3; total number of hours required so far: 10(ish); total number of lichen bushes needed to disguise gaps and imperfections: 30+ (because I'm not that good); total number of times this project has made me smile: lots.

:D
Regards,
Gavin

bizzyd6405

Postby bizzyd6405 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:45 am

the rock face looks amazing Gavin, i would have never guessed it was cork, you've done a great job with it also like the tornado.

keep up the good work.

Darren

trainsandco

Postby trainsandco » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:45 pm

Posted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:58 am

I see i'm not the only one who struggled sleeping last night (or where you just up doing stuff)

Your rocks faces ARE brilliant

Black-Marlin wrote:Total number of boats on the layout: 5; total number of bags of cork used: 3; total number of hours required so far: 10(ish); total number of lichen bushes needed to disguise gaps and imperfections: 30+ (because I'm not that good); total number of times this project has made me smile: lots.

Layout made by proffesionals: £500
Layout made by dimwits: £100
Layout made by yourself:Priceless :P

T&C
A layout is never finished, it's just a shortage of ideas.

Film-making Railway Enthusiast.

81D

Black-Marlin

Re: Starlingford - LMS Antics, Pg 43!

Postby Black-Marlin » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:16 pm

Hello again!

Some more pics, to demonstrate progress. Oh, and please excuse the mess under the bridges - I'll clear it away when I'm no longer likely to mess it up yet further!

The new coaster:

(I modified it by adding some otherwise-unused Dapol coal loads)

And with a nod of thanks to T&C, who sold me one of the wagons, the LMS milk train, as hauled by my modified Bachmann Jinty:

Nearly finished the cliffs! :D

Regards,
G

trainsandco

Postby trainsandco » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:19 pm

those wagons do look quite good in a train of more than one :P

T&C

81D

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:31 pm

trainsandco wrote:those wagons do look quite good in a train of more than one :P

T&C

They do, don't they? :wink:

I got fed up, after posting the above pictures, with the sheer amount of debris under the bridges, and so I cleared it up. Then I decided to run some Southern Region BR goodies - the sort of thing Pedanticmongrel swoons over, if he's still about - and take a few pictures. I'm rather pleased with how they came out. But judge for yourselves...

And my preferred locomotive (the one I received as a graduation present from my parents after completing my Masters a couple of years ago), as opposed to my Dad's christmas present:

Enjoy!
Gavin

Black-Marlin

Re: Starlingford - LMS, Southern and Eastern Antics, Pg 43!

Postby Black-Marlin » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:14 pm

More-or-less final additions to the cliffs have now been made. But see for yourselves...

Even the mighty Mallard seems less dominant in these surroundings...

...while on the clifftops construction and painting of the fortifications of Wyndham Army Base has begun in earnest...

...and as the groupings give way to the nationalised railway it is possible to better appreciate the fjord that gives 'Starlingford' its name...

...although no doubt this poor fisherman would rather be almost anywhere else!

How on earth did that get there? As a student of Irish literature, I had thought all the circus animals had deserted...*

Regards,
Gavin

*If this reference made no sense to you, this ought to clarify things a little.

bbc100p

Postby bbc100p » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:16 pm

Is there any current photo's of the army base?
It back! And sorry about the rant but I do not know why they banned MOHAAPlayer!

John Geeeee

Postby John Geeeee » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:50 pm

Delightful cliffs! Makes me want to try and climb them :D
"Go on, just one more board, pleeeeeaaaase?"
My Layout Thread
My Photobucket Albums

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:18 am

John Geeeee wrote:Delightful cliffs! Makes me want to try and climb them :D

High praise indeed coming from the man I regard as one of this forum's experts on ground cover, and whose influence on Starlingford looms large (those terraced houses, that maroon Crab)! Thank you, John 8)

bbc100p wrote:Is there any current photo's of the army base?

Just for you, mate, I have taken some pictures. It took me a while, obviously, because my tears of helpless despair caused by your grammar kept blurring the viewfinder, but here are the pics you requested. Hope they're what you're looking for!

A general overview of Wyndham as it currently stands:

The Army train on the munitions loading siding at the end of its dedicated branchline:

The smallest of the eventual three gun batteries:

Tonight's project - a Faller 'Lagerschuppen' (whatever that is) used as a light vehicle maintenance facility:

A final overview, showing the train in situ with 3 gunpowder vans parked next to the bunker (a Bachmann Scenecraft product originally meant for their colliery, I believe):

Meanwhile, on the other side of the fjord, J72 brings a short train of Loco Coal trucks down the wharf in expectation of the offloading of the imminent Kelly Coal boat:

Years later, the scene is repeated with a J94 taking the place of the antiquated J72:

...And with Nationalisation beginning to take effect, the locomotive thundering over the suspension bridge above the tank engine has 'British Railways' emblazoned across its tender:

Regards,
Gavin

trainsandco

Postby trainsandco » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:27 am

Black-Marlin wrote:Tonight's project - a Faller 'Lagerschuppen' (whatever that is) used as a light vehicle maintenance facility:

WD 20 Tank Wagon, its a fine thing........I cant wait to get one.

\T&C

81D

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:21 pm

Not much progress made today, as I was out and about in the town 'doing my messages', as the old phrase has it. However, they were all enjoyable, whether they entailed posting a fishing boat to Scouse Lee for his layout 'Bride Valley'; or visiting 'Bookends', Bangor's excellent (and enormous) second-hand bookshop; or rewarding myself with a visit to MacCullough's, the model shop where I managed mostly to contain myself and my wallet. Well, mostly. I bought another NE box van - which, being Railroad, was cheap, and brings my rake up to 13. Here they are behind a locomotive both Mike (mikem64) and Dan (Pedanticmongrel) admire: Bachmann's lovely K3.

My plan had been to do the sea next, but the environment has defeated me: apparently, Artex needs temperatures greater than 5C to set properly, and my attic hasn't reached those dizzying extremes of heat quite yet. So...it may be that this week I build the embankment/cutting that leads to the other tunnel mouth. Not a job I'm relishing, to be honest; a lot of tedious measuring and cutting, with plenty of potential for miscalculation and personal injury. Still, if it gets done, it'll be one more thing to cross off my list... :D

regards,
Gavin

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:11 am

Evening all, and a Happy New Year to you!

No work done on the railway, as I was instead (and most unusually) doing proper work, but I did get time to take a few pics. Having seen TerryB's comments elsewhere, I thought we should kick off with a few of the B12 at the head of a decent rake of blood and custards...

(and for those of you struggling to make out the engine on the goods line, it is Bachmann's excellent J39)

Next time the B12 completed a loop the other line was occupied by a Western invader...

And, for those of you interested in the increasingly militaristic aspects of Starlingford, you can see that the Army has not been slow to identify the railway as a solution to its transport needs:

After this, I decided to focus on more overtly Western stock. Here two regiments, The Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers and The Glasgow Highlanders, pass:

Before steam finally gives way to diesel locomotion

Again, have a wonderful New Year one and all!
Regards,
Gavin

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”