Starlingford - The End of the Line

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Black-Marlin

Re: Starlingford - New Youtube-ery, Pg 36!

Postby Black-Marlin » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:59 pm

Thank you both, gentlemen :D

Martin, it's been great to see you back on the forum again. I wonder, did you recognise your handiwork in the video? That was 'your' maroon Jinty on the branchline milk/passenger train!

Michael, believe me, there have been times I have emerged from the attic stinking of smoke oil and grinning hugely, and the suspicion with which my mother has treated me on those occasions has been quite something to behold...!
The title 'A Drowneded Man's Grip' is a quotation from the poem The More A Man Has The More A Man Wants, which ranks as one of the best poems written in English in the 20th Century, but be warned: neither it, nor Muldoon himself, could be considered 'easy'. When it comes to taking a 'look' at him, he is to be found, along with Geoffrey Hill, on that portion of the literary map marked 'Here Be Dragons'...!

Take it easy,
Gavin
Last edited by Black-Marlin on Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pedanticmongrel

Re: Starlingtube

Postby Pedanticmongrel » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:24 pm

Black-Marlin wrote:A bit of an update change, this time: an all-new Starlingford youtube video! Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qdm7N8dU2QY

Regards,
Gavin

Okay, now to analyse your video, i will leave the music out cause it was not my type of thing but seemed to work for the purpose you gave it.
First off I'd like to say it was nice to see such a rich deversity of stock running on your layout, a good selection of things to see.
second, now for the major gripe i had with your video, this is the only thing that spoiled it all, your 43xx and 28xx on freight trains, how fast were they going? yes it looked stupid, the 28xx should be moving much slower and the 43xx a bit slower, good models look even better when running at a scale speed. With passenger trains with big express locos it doesn't matter so much, and i must say i really like your rebuilt light pacific.
Now to end on a positive, some of the camera angles you used were great and the lighting effects (especcially with the smoke) worked very well. a good effort, just make your freights a bit slower in future, unless they are fully fitted with a fast goods loco (such as a V2) at the head. :D
I'm back and now I model in 'Strain your eyes gauge'...

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:47 pm

Fair enough, Dan! Yeah, I have no excuse for the 43xx other than absentmindedness, but the 28xx was deliberate - to get the best smoke effects, the generator needs as much current as possible, which also goes to the motor, hence the hell-for-leather speed. I can't have one without the other, sadly. But yes, I'm not ignorant of the problem, I just don't know how to solve it.

Oh, and the camera angles, some of them, were done with you in mind - didn't you request some looking up at the bridge? :wink:

Cheers,
G

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:22 pm

...And, with Dan still in mind, here are three more pics, this time of his own private obsession... :roll:

G

Pedanticmongrel

Postby Pedanticmongrel » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:39 pm

Black-Marlin wrote:Fair enough, Dan! Yeah, I have no excuse for the 43xx other than absentmindedness, but the 28xx was deliberate - to get the best smoke effects, the generator needs as much current as possible, which also goes to the motor, hence the hell-for-leather speed. I can't have one without the other, sadly. But yes, I'm not ignorant of the problem, I just don't know how to solve it.

Oh, and the camera angles, some of them, were done with you in mind - didn't you request some looking up at the bridge? :wink:

Cheers,
G

okay, 2 ways this problem can be solved, either put a resistor on the motor circuit so the engine is restricted to lower speeds but the smoke unit still gets full voltage or if you have a fast frame rate mode on your camera use it and slow the film down when editing, this will allow maximum smoke without loosing film quality.

Pedanticmongrel

Postby Pedanticmongrel » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:41 pm

Black-Marlin wrote:...And, with Dan still in mind, here are three more pics, this time of his own private obsession... :roll:

G

haha, tbh i'm not much of an 8750 fan, i think the cab doesn't quite look right, but the chassis that model runs on can't be faulted. :D

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:46 pm

Pedanticmongrel wrote:tbh i'm not much of an 8750 fan

AAAARGH!

DAMMIT, I'M DOING MY BEST!

Pedanticmongrel

Postby Pedanticmongrel » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:49 pm

Black-Marlin wrote:
Pedanticmongrel wrote:tbh i'm not much of an 8750 fan

AAAARGH!

DAMMIT, I'M DOING MY BEST!

:D haha, calm down, it's your layout, run what you want, no need to try and please others.

ste234

Postby ste234 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:04 pm

I love that first picture there Black-Marlin, shame its GWR though! :wink: :lol:
'Springfield', N gauge Modern Era Layout

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:23 pm

I know, I know... GWR stands for Gresley Was Right, doesn't it?

Fortunately, I have some pictures of a more soothing shade of green...

...And, to pacify those of a more olive-green disposition:

Pedanticmongrel

Postby Pedanticmongrel » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:25 pm

Black-Marlin wrote:I know, I know... GWR stands for Gresley Was Right, doesn't it?

...And, to pacify those of a more olive-green disposition:

don't get me started on Gresley, he was useless at express locomotives until he borrowed a GWRCastle for running trials, remember that!

oh and nice T9 btw, put some route discs on it! (you eat ice cream right? whole punch the lid of an empty tub to get free discs!)

bbc100p

Postby bbc100p » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:22 am

Black-Marlin wrote:GWR stands for Gresley Was Right, doesn't it?

No, it's stand's for Great Western Railway!
It back! And sorry about the rant but I do not know why they banned MOHAAPlayer!

PeterH

Postby PeterH » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:34 am

Pedanticmongrel wrote:
Black-Marlin wrote:I know, I know... GWR stands for Gresley Was Right, doesn't it?

don't get me started on Gresley, he was useless at express locomotives until he borrowed a GWRCastle for running trials, remember that!

May I remind the honourable gentleman that two of Gresley's locomotives hold seperate world records. Mallard as the fastest and Flying Scotsman with the worlds longest non-stop-run. Also, during the locomotive trials, the GWR locomotives suffered from poor steaming due to bad coal, whereas the LNER locomotives were running on it for years!

Very enjoyable photos. I like your V3!
"Gentlemen, pray silence for the President of the Royal Society for Putting Things on Top of Other Things."; 'Make Tea, not Love.'
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.

Pedanticmongrel

Postby Pedanticmongrel » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:00 am

PeterH wrote:May I remind the honourable gentleman that two of Gresley's locomotives hold seperate world records. Mallard as the fastest and Flying Scotsman with the worlds longest non-stop-run. Also, during the locomotive trials, the GWR locomotives suffered from poor steaming due to bad coal, whereas the LNER locomotives were running on it for years!

Very enjoyable photos. I like your V3!

Feeling brave are we Peter? so you thought you'd try and dig at the GWR and Wales, 2 things quite close to my heart. Don't get me started cause i know you'll end up making a comment to try and change the subject! :D

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:04 pm

bbc100p wrote:
Black-Marlin wrote:GWR stands for Gresley Was Right, doesn't it?

No, it's stand's for Great Western Railway!

Thanks for clearing that up, my little apostrophe addict...! Other possible acronym interpretations include:

Gallivanting Windy Rhinos
Good Wee Reprobates
Giant Windmill Ratatouille
Grindylows Were Revolutionary
Gone With Recidivists
Gavin Well Received

And my personal favourite...

Godawful Welsh Rubbish
:twisted:

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”