Starlingford - The End of the Line

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Big Al

Re: Starlingford

Postby Big Al » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:28 am

I just had a refreshing scroll through the last few pages and your layout is looking really good. You have a fine collection of loco's there.

I like the strong greenery that's a look I'm trying for on my layout. The first bits of scatter I done where too pale so I'm gonna go over it with some deeper green. :P

cheers Alan
See my thread on personal layouts "It's a holiday park with no name"
New name for layout now found. Chufferlands Holiday Park.

trains!

Postby trains! » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:30 pm

O, I didnt realise you had modern what about the SHED army? Or a diesel gala. :D :D :D
Jake
Modelling Jakey's Junction!....
See here for my plan:
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=19546

Part of NRM'S officail freight masters
dudes club :cool:

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:42 am

trains! wrote:O, I didnt realise you had modern what about the SHED army? Or a diesel gala. :D :D :D

Ah. For the benefit of those without a Starlingford English Dictionary to hand, the local definition of modern is "a locomotive that does not need to boil water to progress". The pics below will demonstrate the extent to which this definition is rigorously applied to the loco stud on Starlingford: don't expect to see privatised liveries... :?

And to answer LMSRail's question, the tiny Pug was a (brief!) reissue by Hornby of an old Airfix kit. It was only out for a year or two, and if you want one now Ebay's your best bet, where a BNMIB example will cost you about £30. The downside is their short wheelbase (which makes them susceptible to dirty track) and the fact that the motor's only good for about 150 hours before it needs replaced... :shock:

Am back in Scotland now, lads and lasses, so Starlingford updates will once again return to the more hypothetical side of railway modelling... :roll: Oh well.

Regards,
Gavin

GROTLAND

Postby GROTLAND » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:58 am

Yes. 37's. These pictures remind me of the late 90's and blasting across north Wales to Holyhead with my friends on holiday.
Back to the granite city in the worst month of the year....oh well, at least there's plenty of good pubs and craik up there.....enjoy

Danny

Postby Danny » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:43 pm

Hi Gavin

I haven't looked at the layout in a long time and I have to say it looks great. It's interesting to see so many trains photographed on the layout too.

The foliage on the embankment (pictured page 13) looks superb, cracking job.

TerryB
Location: Loftbrough Central [aka ....a spider infested loft in Rotherham]

Postby TerryB » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:52 pm

An excellent selection of pics Gavin ....thanks for posting them.

best regards
Terry
I know it's the fastest .....but why did they have to name it after a duck?

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:54 pm

TerryB wrote:An excellent selection of pics Gavin

Thank you, Terry. I suppose all that remains is to post the last few, the final remaining locos that have found a home on Starlingford...

Phew!
G

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:12 am

Danny wrote:The foliage on the embankment (pictured page 13) looks superb, cracking job.

The foliage was dead easy. It was a combination of hanging basket liner and Woodland Scenics fine leaf foliage. I continue to be amazed at just how simple it is, with little or no experience, to make very realistic flora.

Regards,
G

sarah

Postby sarah » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:04 pm

The Hornby Dublo R1 (Black Livery). (See earlier posts!)

"Chester Testing Station" (Like Rugby!).

DrStroganoff

Postby DrStroganoff » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:43 pm

Hey Gav, I was in Homebase earlier and picked up some of the hanging-basket liner, looks like good stuff. Looking forward to giving it a go, but I am down to bare baseboards at the moment !!! :(

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:01 pm

DrStroganoff wrote:Hey Gav, I was in Homebase earlier and picked up some of the hanging-basket liner, looks like good stuff. Looking forward to giving it a go, but I am down to bare baseboards at the moment !!! :(

Ah - bare baseboards, pregnant with possibility... you have reached the moment when absolutely nothing is wrong or in any way dissatisfactory with your layout. Enjoy it! But try to get something scenic accomplished - you'll want an adequate back-drop for your T9. Speaking of which, any word yet...?

Here in the far far north the weather is truly foul, so in honour of the storm-force winds we have been 'enjoying' (the only advantage to horrible weather is that you can justify to yourself staying in bed all day eating popcorn and watching movies on your laptop), here is a picture of my 28xx in a strong crosswind:

...and again in much calmer conditions. I like this photo - I think the Woodland Scenics trees stand up well to the camera's scrutiny.

Regards,
Gavin

DrStroganoff

Postby DrStroganoff » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:07 pm

Ah yes those woodlands scenics trees look excellent. Havent tried them myself though,, are they ones you've built with the woodlands kit, or are they bought ready to go ?

C'mon now, dont be daft... still no sign of the T9 :lol: Or any of the Schools...

I'm liking the look of the Southern black T9 that they have planned for later this year, but it doesnt have the watercart tender.

Any of the Hornby 09 announcements that your fancying Gav? I think I'll have to get one of the Devon Belle Observation coaches !

Eastern
Location: Portland, Oregon. USA - originally from East Anglia

Postby Eastern » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:20 pm

Hopefully no leaves on the line :shock: How did you get the smoke to go sideways - fan or a deep breath? :D
“Sir, Sunday morning, although recurring at regular and well foreseen intervals, always seems to take this railway by surprise.”
William S Gilbert

Charles

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:42 pm

DrStroganoff wrote:Ah yes those woodlands scenics trees look excellent. Havent tried them myself though,, are they ones you've built with the woodlands kit, or are they bought ready to go ?

Having very little patience for that sort of nonsense, they are all ready-made. The shorter ones come in big boxes of 14 for about £21; the big ones were £12 for 2 :shock: . Brilliant, though, and improved no end with Fine Leaf Foliage (I have birds for them too, which I will someday get round to adding).

Here - the big ones:
http://www.ontracks.co.uk/index.php?page=product&prodID=63746&catID=279

And the forestry:

http://www.ontracks.co.uk/index.php?page=product&prodID=63756&catID=279

DrStroganoff wrote:Any of the Hornby 09 announcements that your fancying Gav? I think I'll have to get one of the Devon Belle Observation coaches !

I like that coach too! With those big windows, I think that by adding passengers to it (as I have done with all my Pullmans) I can make it look really very good indeed - sadly, however, it's £40. I also like the Daffodil Bar (£35) :shock: :cry: . Happier, though, is the discovery that Hornby's new livery for their 5-plank wagon is NE coal - I have no NE-livery open wagons, but (fortuitously) I do have 4 Hornby coal loads for 5-plank wagons. Happy serendipity! (Also quite like the look of the Railroad SDJR Jinty, but shh... :wink: )

Eastern wrote:Hopefully no leaves on the line :shock: How did you get the smoke to go sideways - fan or a deep breath? :D

Umm... pass. No idea how that happened. I was just there with a camera when it did. (Incidentally, I just gave the camera back to its owner, who was less than impressed to discover 200+ pictures of model trains on the memory card!) And as far as leaves on the track are concerned - you'd be surprised! Clumps of foliage drop off all the time - it's just that my models are far more capable of dealing with the situation than their real-life counterparts. On Starlingford, we have the right sort of leaves... :mrgreen:

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:12 pm

Look - proof of falling leaves! Look closely at the track on the left-hand side of the pic:

Cheers,
G

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”