Starlingford - The End of the Line

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Bufferstop

Re: Starlingford - Beer, Hattons and Shelf Queens, pg 126

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:57 am

Hi Gavin, did you ever fix your turntable? I needed something from the loft yesterday and came across a bag containing various bit of a Hornby turntable, mainly gears etc cosmetic bits long gone. Give me a shout if there are any bits you are after.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:22 pm

Bufferstop wrote:Hi Gavin, did you ever fix your turntable? I needed something from the loft yesterday and came across a bag containing various bit of a Hornby turntable, mainly gears etc cosmetic bits long gone. Give me a shout if there are any bits you are after.

I only became aware of the problem as I was getting ready to return to Aberdeen, so I didn't have the chance even to examine things properly. If it turns out that you can help, yes, I will certainly drop you a PM! Thanks!

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:34 pm

This is essentially a placeholder post, but there are two things to say:

1.) The countdown has begun! Expect the proper updates to begin early next week. And they will, as always, be photo-intense...

2.) The first update will feature Starlingford, but it will do so in relation to other layouts. You see, the Starlingford thread has now passed 200,000 views - which, I believe, now makes it the most-viewed layout thread New Railway Modellers has ever had. It also, I suspect, puts Starlingford among the web's most-viewed model layouts...! So the first post will consider this, and I will put up the links to the layouts on here - now, sadly, all-too-frequently buried in this forum's depths - that provided the inspiration for my own work. With any luck, I'll be able to direct you to forgotten masterpieces and give you something new to enjoy...

Regards,
Gavin

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:43 am

201,000 not out!

I am genuinely amazed at how Starlingford has retained its popularity. I am staggered that it has been seen by so many people; I am heartened and encouraged by the community on this forum who have played a major role in developing whatever skill I can now claim as a railway modeller. So thank you, everyone who ever commented on this thread.

Of course, I merely follow in the footsteps of others. And, rescuing certain threads from the back pages, can I draw your attention to these brilliant and inspirational layouts? Without them, Starlingford would be much the poorer...

Cheltwell Revisited and East Cheltwell, both by Eastern, provide an absolute masterclass in how to build embankments that look beautifully verdant;

m.levin's Levington, which continues to goad me towards more sophisticated electronics (m.levin himself being the man who fitted the working headlamps to my Jinty);

John Geeee's Garden Shed is a paean to that most neglected, but most important, scenic treatment - ground cover;

Retroman's Ely Bridge contains, in the second photograph in the second post on the linked-to page, my favourite use of cork for rock. It's the best demonstration I've ever seen, and is directly responsible for the cliff faces on Starlingford;

ElDavo's award-winning Cramdin Yard is the layout that introduced me to the single most useful and versatile scenic material I have ever found - hanging basket liner - and no one uses it better or more effectively than he;

and finally, for my money the best layout on NRM (it's certainly my favourite), and the one that features about the most exquisite buildings I have ever seen on a model railway - the incomparable Grotland, which is very nearly perfect.

My time in Northern Ireland finishes today, but I promise you that the reason for my silence was that I was spending every free moment modelling in the attic. And to prove it, a little foretaste of the content of posts to come:

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:57 am

So - an update!

The first thing I did was to replace the lightbulb at the far end of the layout. I used one designed for combating SAD by providing a close approximation of sunlight, and it immediately made an enormous difference:

Next, the lupins.

It started straightforwardly enough with a single example -

- but after that, things began to get out of control. The initial flower bed grew...

...and grew...

...and started getting away from the railway...

...until they came to define the cutting!

Meanwhile, another example of greenery sprouted: the tree at the water tower erupted into life!

Regards,
Gavin

sarah

Re: Starlingford - New Updates, pg 127!

Postby sarah » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:27 am

Hi Gavin..

You are following reality with the vegetation....

This year has been another "Growing Year", our flowers, etc. have really "growed".... ;)

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:18 pm

sarah wrote:Hi Gavin..

You are following reality with the vegetation....

This year has been another "Growing Year", our flowers, etc. have really "growed".... ;)

Hi Sarah, welcome back! You're not wrong about the fierce fecundity of the flora! And to prove the point, if you look at the extreme left-hand-side of this picture, you will see the other big tree that has appeared next to the oast house. (I have other trees to plant, but they will have to wait until I can build the Metcalfe houses I still have waiting. They've been waiting for five years, I had planned to do them last week, but in the end something else drew my attention so I completed that railway project instead...)

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:45 pm

I see Ivo Peters is out & about again, so obviously more good photos to follow !!

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

skyblue

Postby skyblue » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:25 pm

Great work as usual and I look forward to more installments of this update.

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:48 pm

Dad-1 wrote:I see Ivo Peters is out & about again, so obviously more good photos to follow !!

Geoff T.

Top marks that man! Ivo Peters it is. In this little movie, you can see him snapping pics of an LNER O7 Austerity on a mixed military train :D

http://vid267.photobucket.com/albums/ii283/Blackmarlin84/MVI_2785_zpsaopks987.mp4

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:38 pm

So, more updatery!

As I said earlier, I had wanted to build a couple of Metcalfe house kits. In the end I didn't, for one simple reason: the attic had been tidied in my absence and the kits hidden I know not where. But this did give me the opportunity to finish off a different modelling project...

I am, as you will know or have guessed, a plane enthusiast as well as a train enthusiast. There are certain planes I particularly like aesthetically: the Lancaster, for instance; or the Sunderland. I am also a fan of the C-47, known to the USAAF as the Skytrain and to the RAF as the Dakota, and I had one to build. So, after breaking out the kit-building gear, I buckled down to it and got cracking. It's an Italeri kit, modified with the addition of some British paratroopers standing in the doorway and ready to jump, and here it is:

Regards,
Gavin

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:08 am

As I mentioned earlier, there are four new locomotives on Starlingford. The first of these, seen in the video above, is an LNER O7. This is the WD Austerity in LNER guise, and a very fine model it is too - I've already commented on the Westinghouse pump and the tender, but it's also worth noting its haulage ability and its gearing. Mechanically, this model is built as well as it looks!

My modifications to it include cab backhead detailing, adding a crew, and adding a lamp headcode - in this case, the headcode for a through mineral train.

sarah

Postby sarah » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:25 am

Hi Gavin...

The Dakota is an "Iconic" aircraft...I like them as well! ;)

The WD is a good looking loco....well it looks like it was built to work....

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:32 am

Thanks Sarah!

The next in our cavalcade of introductions is...

...the Hornby J15. It's a very pretty loco, and the model is fantastic. It's incredibly smooth-running, thanks to the addition of a brass flywheel, and large parts of it structure are metal rather than plastic.

Naturally, I went to work on it to improve it further :wink:

First I added a crew (of whitemetal, to increase the weight):

And finally I added the lamp headcode for 'Pick-up Goods'. Here it is on a short train of 6 Bachmann LNER wagons:

Regards,
Gavin

Black-Marlin

Re: Starlingford - Introducing the O7, J15... pg 127!

Postby Black-Marlin » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:37 pm

So, before the next loco is introduced, how about a bit more actual modelling - and this time in a couple of different places?

First of all, an incredibly minor but jolly irritating scenic faux pas has been (partially) rectified. As you know, there is a little jetty with fishermen at the cliff face beneath the suspension bridge. This has always been accessible by boat - obviously! - but to what purpose? Unless there was some way to scale the cliff...

Behold, ladders! Along with a seal and her pup that have been added to the rocks.

(Passing by is the J11, to which you can see I've added a crew. The fireman, in a move I recommend only for engines where the tender is permanently attached, has extended his shovel to the tender rather than the firebox. It adds an unexpected level of visual interest to the cab - it now looks like an engine crew working).

At the other end of the layout entirely is the engine shed, to which I have been cheerfully adding debris, detritus and detail! Note also that I have rusted all the tracks - a tedious, tool-destroying (ballast shreds a foam roller or paint pen) but ultimately worthwhile task:

And, as you can see from this shot, I have also been busily adding grass tufts and flowers to the points ladder at the entrance of the marshalling yard and around the turntable!

Regards,
Gavin

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”