Starlingford - The End of the Line

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
DonB

Re: Starlingford - Horny-Handed Sons of Toil, pg 118

Postby DonB » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:42 am

More fabulous shots.
Love the last one of the 'Pug' and I'm pleased to see that the 9F-hauled oil train has barrier wagons, something that is so often missed on model railways. (I'm guilty of that particular offence.)
Don

My Layout Thread: viewtopic.php?t=14899

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:22 pm

I've done it! On and off over the last weeks I have been reading through your thread and tonight I've reached the end.

I have to say it has been a thoroughly interesting 120 pages of comments, advice, modelling wizardry, a few grumbles, arguments and pistols at dawn and most of all, some superb photos. I salute you, sir, and Starlingford and look forward to more installments.

Thanks for the entertaining read.

Paul

Black-Marlin

Re: Starlingford - The Christmas Expansion, Pg 115

Postby Black-Marlin » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:20 pm

skyblue wrote:I wonder (and hope) that by this you mean some more examples of GWR/God's Wonderful Railway locomotives - in my opinion one of the only things lacking on Starlingford - in comparison to the size of your LNER/LMS/SR fleet(I know they don't really fit in).

nickbrad wrote:I very much enjoy popping in to see what's new, even if there isn't much chance of seeing a diesel pottering around :lol:

Black-Marlin wrote:As far as news goes, I've put together my 'basket' in Hattons... now to wait for payday!

carnehan wrote:I've done it! On and off over the last weeks I have been reading through your thread and tonight I've reached the end.

I have to say it has been a thoroughly interesting 120 pages of comments, advice, modelling wizardry, a few grumbles, arguments and pistols at dawn and most of all, some superb photos. I salute you, sir, and Starlingford and look forward to more installments.

Thanks for the entertaining read.

Paul

And now, tying together these disparate strands of separate conversation...

I have bought a new engine, a diesel no less, and one particularly associated with the Western Region. Bought purely because it appeals to my sense of aesthetics, I have obtained my first-ever Heljans loco, D0260 Lion. Even as we speak it is pottering round a small circuit I have built on my kitchen table purely for the purpose of running-in the engine. I am looking forward to seeing it at the head of a rake of maroon Mk1s :D

I have also been patronising a store I all-to-frequently fail to make use of - our very own New Railway Modellers shop. I have bought two carriages in as many weeks, because they seem to have in stock coaches and wagons that have long since disappeared from other online retailers. In my case, I bought one of the Hornby superdetailed Stanier brake composites (in Hornby's gorgeous rendition of LMS Crimson Lake) and one of Hornby's SR (olive) Maunsells, again a composite brake. These bring their rakes up to 7 and 5 coaches, respectively, thus making for far more realistic trains. I am particularly looking forward to running the full rake of Staniers - perhaps with a still-to-be-obtained Stove R? - behind the Jubilee (increasingly, and again on the basis of aesthetics, my favourite 4-6-0); while I also hope to run a much-enhanced boat train behind Excalibur, with 5 Maunsell coaches, perhaps a Pullman providing dining services, and baggage handled in the two bogie passenger brakes and the Van C - a train of 9 vehicles. Lovely stuff!

And as for you, Paul - I'm glad you had fun :D

GeoFF03

Postby GeoFF03 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:00 pm

I bought one of the Hornby superdetailed Stanier brake composites (in Hornby's gorgeous rendition of LMS Crimson Lake)

Surely brake thirds? Hornby didn't produce any composite coaches when they introduced the detailed Staniers, to the best of my knowledge (my rake is in BR Maroon). To add a composite to a rake would mean having to use one of the less detailed Dapol/ex-Airfix models.

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:34 pm

GeoFF03 wrote:Surely brake thirds?

You are, indeed, quite right. It's been a very long week.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:45 pm

You can keep all those 'biggies' I'll take the Pug !!

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:30 am

Dad-1 wrote:You can keep all those 'biggies' I'll take the Pug !!

Geoff T.

Well then, just for you:

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Tue May 06, 2014 5:48 pm

Black-Marlin wrote:In my case, I bought one of the Hornby superdetailed Stanier brake composites (in Hornby's gorgeous rendition of LMS Crimson Lake) and one of Hornby's SR (olive) Maunsells, again a composite brake. These bring their rakes up to 7 and 5 coaches, respectively, thus making for far more realistic trains. I am particularly looking forward to running the full rake of Staniers - perhaps with a still-to-be-obtained Stove R? - behind the Jubilee (increasingly, and again on the basis of aesthetics, my favourite 4-6-0)

Stove R obtained. And I have to say, after pulling it and pushing it through S-curves built out of curved points, that it hasn't proven unmanageable at all - quite the reverse. It runs fine. I'm rather pleased that I only found the thread on Rivet Maniac Web after I'd ordered it, because it would have been enough to put me off. But as it stands, I've got a good 'un, and I'm very happy. I'm particularly delighted to discover that, although I bought it for the Stanier rake, it will also serve with equal validity as the brake on the LMS milk-van train :D

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:23 pm

Hello friends and fiends...

Among my (many, many) faults is an inability to cope with niggling imperfections. I was never able to get the V2 body to sit on the chassis properly after its accident; it has, as a result of just looking 'wrong', been retired (and will probably be sold for 'spares and repairs' at some point - if anyone here is interested in obtaining it, drop me a PM).

Another loco - coincidentally Bachmann - that had a similar niggle that hampered my enjoyment was K3 no. 2934. It was one of the star performers on Starlingford, to the extent that I took it back with me to Scotland to run on my club layout Tynedale. And it looked great:

Unfortunately, as a result of its travels and travails, one set of cabside steps was broken off and lost forever. This was particularly irksome as 1) I hate when things that are meant to be symmetrical aren't, and 2) the steps are an integral part of the moulding and not a separate detail piece that can be easily replaced. It is for that reason that the K3, though one of my favourite models, has been conspicuous by its absence in recent updates.

Happily, however, Peters Spares has come through, in providing a complete replacement body. All I will need to do now is prise my footplate crew out of the old one and into the new one, and I can run what I think of as my LNER Flagship Freight Quartet: K3 2934 on unfitted vans (all rewheeled Hornby Railroad items); A2 Sugar Palm on refrigerated vans (and I now know, thanks to an invaluable tip from the wonderful Bigmet, that the guards van should not be at the end of the rake but rather 2/3rds of the way down it); O6 7675 on 21t hoppers; and O4 6190 on 5-plank coal wagons, of which I have an ever-increasing number, complete with Skaledale resin coal loads - making for a weighty train that the O4 lifts with a satisfying sense of effort!

It will be nice, when I'm next home, to do some proper modelling as opposed to simply playing trains - but I also want to make a new vid for youtube (haven't done one of them in a while either) featuring some of the 'proper' trains I can now run. The Jubilee on 7 coaches... an SR N15 on 8... a Duchess on 10... a 3F on a rake of iron ore empties with a suitably grubby Midland brake van on the tail end (my first acquisition from TMC, incidentally)... the M7 on a branchline service with the N on coal...

Can't wait!

In the meantime, another shot of one of my favourite train compositions: a Bachmann Jubilee on Hornby Staniers...

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:02 am

It's been a long time coming, but I have an update!

Hello folks. I have been home, and I took with me new trains, and did new work...

One of the new locomotives is a Bachmann Lord Nelson, 'Sir Martin Frobisher', in Southern Malachite Green. Here she is:

I bought her after learning that the Malachite green engines could from time to time be found at the head of rakes of olive green coaches, and that therefore pictures like this weren't unreasonable:

Even so, she looks at her best on Pullmans:

I mentioned having done new work. Some of this was terribly un-photogenic: I put up some 400' square of plywood ceiling panelling. But I did manage to finish the last piece of topography the layout required - the connecting raised scenery between the road bridge and the tunnel mouth. Behold!

Regards,
Gavin

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:54 am

Black-Marlin wrote:I have bought a new engine, a diesel no less, and one particularly associated with the Western Region. Bought purely because it appeals to my sense of aesthetics, I have obtained my first-ever Heljans loco, D0260 Lion.

And here it is!

skyblue

Re: Starlingford - New Summer Update, pg 120

Postby skyblue » Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:18 pm

It looks great - although I'm sure it didn't stay that colour for long!

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:16 pm

I returned with three new locomotives: Sir Martin Frobisher and Lion were two, and the third is this one...

Yes, an LMR-liveried J94! It's nice to see it next to the military vehicles with which I have a slight obsession:

...and from time to time it might even double-head with the other LMR loco in the inventory...

Gavin

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:20 pm

skyblue wrote:It looks great - although I'm sure it didn't stay that colour for long!

As I understand it, Lion was something of a prestige loco, and they actually tried hard to keep it looking pristine...

Black-Marlin

Re: Starlingford - Stock Talk, pg 121

Postby Black-Marlin » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:01 am

nickbrad wrote:I very much enjoy popping in to see what's new, even if there isn't much chance of seeing a diesel pottering around :lol:

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”