Starlingford - The End of the Line

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Re: Starlingford - The Sky's The Limit, Pg 117

Postby flying scotsman123 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:42 pm

sounds like it, and looks like a small GWR branch line if there's an autocoach anywhere near it!
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

Black-Marlin

Starlingford - Horny-handed Sons of Toil, Pg 118

Postby Black-Marlin » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:41 pm

Sometimes - just occasionally - the sight of a normally-colourful engine stripped down to a workmanlike black is a good thing. I know that I, like most modellers, usually like the interesting liveries - the garter blues and prussian blues; the apple greens and Brunswick greens; the experimental purples and the photographic greys. But sometimes I like to be reminded that these were solid, heavy, fire-forged pieces of massive machinery, built from cast iron and copper and brass, that performed great feats of work and, in so doing, revolutionised the landscape through which they toiled. They were engines that created nothing but steam - but which then used that to move the might of a nation from one end of the country to the other, day in and day out.

This is Flying Scotsman as she appeared in 1947 - rebuilt to A3 standard and still wearing her wartime austerity black livery. Enjoy.

And finally a pic I took for my dad, who seems to share certain enthusiasms with some members on here - steam engines and fire engines, anyone?

skyblue

Re: Starlingford - Horny-Handed Sons of Toil, pg 118

Postby skyblue » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:47 pm

I actually prefer Flying Scotsman in black - I think it shows off the shape of the loco better. Having said that, I prefer Tornado in Apple Green so I have nothing against apple green in principle. I like your train of fire engines - what wagons are they on?

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:12 pm

skyblue wrote:I like your train of fire engines - what wagons are they on?

They're on Bachmann NE well wagons, the reference code for which is BC33-879A :)

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:53 am

British Rail - Midland Region

On the eve of full implementation of the modernisation plan, Starlingford retains its steam-hauled services, though with increasing support from diesel locomotives.

As a result, several locomotives are now here rostered. The first of these, adopting local passenger services, is 2P No.60443:

Freight services have also seen increased motive power allocated. The first locomotive to so appear is a new-built 4F:

While the second - a locomotive that has given a lifetime's worth of useful service already - is a Johnson 3F:

pointstaken

Re: Starlingford - Horny-handed Sons of Toil, Pg 118

Postby pointstaken » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:43 am

Black-Marlin wrote:Sometimes - just occasionally - the sight of a normally-colourful engine stripped down to a workmanlike black is a good thing. I know that I, like most modellers, usually like the interesting liveries - the garter blues and prussian blues; the apple greens and Brunswick greens; the experimental purples and the photographic greys. But sometimes I like to be reminded that these were solid, heavy, fire-forged pieces of massive machinery, built from cast iron and copper and brass, that performed great feats of work and, in so doing, revolutionised the landscape through which they toiled. They were engines that created nothing but steam - but which then used that to move the might of a nation from one end of the country to the other, day in and day out.

What an elegant, descriptive, and almost poetic piece of prose. Reminds one that there are intelligent individuals who can still write an enjoyable passage. And I enjoy looking at the layout thread as well.

Dennis
I know nothing, but much I believe

DonB

Postby DonB » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:42 pm

Blimey, someone's been busy! :shock:

Impressive set of updates, Gavin...
I'm feeling bad, as I've not been motivated to do anything on my layout for ages.

While the loco and rolling-stock additions are impressive, as an aero modeller I was pleased to see Wing Commander Gibson making a low pass in his Lancaster Mk.I (ED932/G). Is the Type 464 Lanc the new-tool model?

Great stuff! 8) 8) 8)
Don

My Layout Thread: viewtopic.php?t=14899

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:58 pm

DonB wrote:
While the loco and rolling-stock additions are impressive, as an aero modeller I was pleased to see Wing Commander Gibson making a low pass in his Lancaster Mk.I (ED932/G). Is the Type 464 Lanc the new-tool model?

Great stuff! 8) 8) 8)

Hi Don

The Type 464 is the new-tool model :) Airfix, in a cunning piece of marketing gimcrackery, only provide the transfers for Gibson's aircraft in the version that comes with all the paints and glue (for which you pay extra, of course!). The standard kit offers transfers for AJ E (Barlow) and, more notably, AJ T (McCarthy).

Here is the aircraft sliding down to its attack height of 60' in a pre-mission practice. Goodness only knows what the crew of the passing Robinson O4 make of it...

Regards,
Gavin

Black-Marlin

Starlingford - 150,000 views!

Postby Black-Marlin » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:50 pm

Thank you everyone who has looked at this thread, commented upon it, criticised it, helped me improve it, complimented it, inquired after it, contributed to it...

I am very pleased that so many people have taken the time to enjoy my work. I build this railway because it gives me enormous pleasure to do so; I hope that those who view it derive some similar pleasure from seeing what I've been getting up to.

Again, thank you all, very much.
Gavin

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:55 pm

I very much enjoy popping in to see what's new, even if there isn't much chance of seeing a diesel pottering around :lol:

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:09 pm

nickbrad wrote:I very much enjoy popping in to see what's new, even if there isn't much chance of seeing a diesel pottering around :lol:

thank goodness for that :P (see my comments on skyblue's layout for my view on diesels! :D)
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:42 pm

As an 80s child who grew up literally round the corner from Whitemoor, I can't help but love diesels...... :wink:

Black-Marlin

Re: Starlingford - The Sky's The Limit, Pg 117

Postby Black-Marlin » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:52 pm

skyblue wrote:Its good to see that you've made some progress.

Do you think that you'll do any more scenic work in your remaining time at home? We have been waiting rather a long time for any updates of this nature (I can understand why progress has been slow).

There was only a little scenic work done, but what little there was made a difference...

First of all, the embankment was extended. Only a little, granted, but still, it's progress:

Secondly, I've added some ground cover to the gas works. It no longer simply looks as though it's been plonked down on some painted wood. (In fairness, there was a truly excellent reason as to why it looked like that until recently...)

Thirdly, I've been building up the ground cover around the turntable. I'm not done yet, but I'm getting there:

I've added some platforms to one of the sidings:

And finally, one of the women on the layout has a) grown fins, and b) managed to lose her top. Now, those of you sniggering at the back, this is not why the thread is currently called 'horny-handed'....

Regards,
Gavin

skyblue

Postby skyblue » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:04 pm

Even a little progress is good (every little helps :) ) - that grass on the embankment looks great. What did you use for the ground around the gasworks? One suggestion I've got (you may have already thought of it) - what about adding some wheel marks on the ground to add a 'used feel'?

sarah

Postby sarah » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:01 pm

Hi Gavin.

Some nice pics to get 2014 off to a good start! :D

Always nice to see...and yes, black is good...my favourite is BR Black with the early lion crest....and even nicer with the mixed traffic LNWR lining...;)

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”