Starlingford - The End of the Line

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
ceejaydee

Re: Starlingford - The Christmas Expansion, Pg 115

Postby ceejaydee » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:35 pm

I like the cammo on the Me 262 Night Fighter.
Regards
Christopher D.

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:07 pm

ceejaydee wrote:I like the cammo on the Me 262 Night Fighter.

Well then, just for you:

Black-Marlin

Re: Starlingford - The Christmas Expansion, Pg 116

Postby Black-Marlin » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:25 pm

It's somewhat worrisome to see that the title of this thread, which clearly hasn't changed in the last year, is now valid again... there's a saying about stopped clocks that comes to mind!

Hello folks!

This is just...well, this is several things, actually. First of all, it's a shameless bump, because it would be a shame for this thread to disappear entirely, and especially because There Is News For Starlingford. The news is this: it's not dead. It's been hibernating. But this weekend I go home. I return to it. And I return, crucially, by car (I'm getting the Cairnryan ferry), which means I am unencumbered by baggage allowances and can, in fact, take home all the stuff that's been accumulating over the last year(s). This includes the various things I picked up during the last days of Modelzone - things you have not seen on Starlingford, that I have been keeping secret so as to produce lots of lovely and entirely unexpected pictures of the layout. There are...err... at least 7 engines previously unseen, for instance. There's an entire (and long!) train for which the only piece of rolling stock I have previously mentioned is the brake van. Some trains have received massive reinforcement; others are entirely new.

The additions span multiple regions and multiple eras. Some you might expect - you know me, a massive fan of Sir Nigel's - whereas others, I suspect, may surprise.

So that's the announcement: the thread isn't dead, yours truly is also not dead, and expect lots of pictures of new stock and new locomotives shortly! Oh, and since I've managed to score a couple of weeks at home (oh yes - I'm working again, thank goodness. I do QC for an offshore e-learning company), I'm hoping to crack on with some modelling too... I really must try and sort those embankments!

Talk to y'all soon,
Gavin

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:35 pm

Sounds excellent, normally if a layout catches my eye, I end up reading the whole thread, but I've had to content myself with just skimming this one! I look forward to forthcoming postings :)
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

skyblue

Postby skyblue » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:25 pm

I can't wait for the update - this layout is one of my favorites on here.

Black-Marlin wrote:The additions span multiple regions and multiple eras. Some you might expect - you know me, a massive fan of Sir Nigel's - whereas others, I suspect, may surprise.

I wonder (and hope) that by this you mean some more examples of GWR/God's Wonderful Railway locomotives - in my opinion one of the only things lacking on Starlingford - in comparison to the size of your LNER/LMS/SR fleet(I know they don't really fit in).

flying scotsman123 wrote:Sounds excellent, normally if a layout catches my eye, I end up reading the whole thread, but I've had to content myself with just skimming this one! I look forward to forthcoming postings :)

Unlike flyingscotsman123 I wasn't able to resist the temptation to read the entire thread about a year ago - although I reckon that it won't be long before you do read the entire thing - even if it is just for the excellent way in which it is written - arguably the most grammatically correct/well written thread on NRM? (Not surprising given the writer's occupation!).
Last edited by skyblue on Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:30 pm

perhaps over christmas when it all gets a bit much I'll settle down and read the whole thing
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

skyblue

Postby skyblue » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:31 pm

flying scotsman123 wrote:perhaps over christmas when it all gets a bit much I'll settle down and read the whole thing

Do - it's a good read.

sarah

Postby sarah » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:45 am

Hi Gavin.

I am glad to hear you are once again gainfully employed! :)

I know what you mean, RE: Christmas coming around again! :o

We (your loyal audience) await your coming performance with great interest! ;)

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:26 am

Merry Christmas all!

And now, lets get things rolling with a diesel update...

The first (and smallest) of the new locomotives to appear is this delightful little Bachmann class 03. It was cheap, it was cute, and it features an incredibly smooth mechanism as well as a detailed and lit cab interior. If only Hornby's tank engines ran this well...

A second, more exotic diesel has also appeared on Starlingford. This is, I think, Bachmann's attempt at a Class 11 (basically a model of a class 08 with a fancy paint job) in the colours of the Longmoor Military Railway. This was a Modelzone limited edition (mine is #31 of 512), and here it is (appropriately) pulling four of the Hornby 7-plank Modelzone-exclusive open wagons, tailed with a 'Queen Mary' brake van. (On the LMR, incidentally, one of these locos would pull a Queen Mary as an inspection saloon, making it probably the shortest train I can legitimately model). The four wagons are all commemorative, incidentally - hiring, promotion to shift supervisor, promotion to assistant manager, redundancy. The shop closed in August, and this is the first time I've been able to run the train.

There is more still to come!
Gavin
Last edited by Black-Marlin on Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:13 am

A very quick post to offer someone a very good deal.

Does anyone have a Hornby blanking plug to put in the DCC socket of a locomotive? If so, and if they are willing to give it to me, I will, in exchange, give them a fully functional Hornby DCC chip.

Any help would be appreciated. And like I say, I reckon this is a good deal for some DCC modeller out there...

Regards,
Gavin

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:34 pm

Well, that was quick - a response already!

And what better way to celebrate than by showing another previously unseen locomotive? Hornby M7 no. 111, nicknamed 'Three Woodbines' for the appearance of its number on the tanks, sets off with a short branchline parcels service.

Although I can and do run some very big express trains (both goods and passenger), sometimes you just can't beat the sight of a small engine at the head of a small train, pottering around on its errands.

There are more small trains to come. But there are also big ones, so stay tuned folks!

Gavin

sarah

Postby sarah » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:03 pm

Hi Gavin...

I do like small locos on small trains....but I also have a weakness for large locos (9f, etc.).

The new Bachmann models (L&Y tank, small Pannier, Dukedog, etc.) are very nice...but the bank manager says "No!". ;)

Nice little BR shunter...and the LMR colours on the 08 are nice. The Longmoor Military Railway also had "BR Standard" type brake vans in that blue...and vans and other wagons. (Not to mention "Gordon" No.600!) (Once-apon-a-time I thought LMR stood for London Midland Region! :o )

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:18 am

sarah wrote:Hi Gavin...

I do like small locos on small trains....but I also have a weakness for large locos (9f, etc.).

As always, your wish is my command...

This got me in the mood for some early BR action, so...

Maunsell N15 'Sir Gawain' on Maunsell stock (6 coaches in sets of 3 - brake composite brake, brake composite brake)

Maunsell N15 'Sir Gawain' on BR Mk1s (8 thereof. And yes, even on a layout with gradients, the Hornby King Arthur strolls away with the load!)

Another hitherto unrevealed loco! This is Bulleid Rebuilt Merchant Navy 'Bibby Line', on Maunsell stock.

...and again on the Mk1s.

King George V has been restored to working order :D

Clan Mackenzie (a renamed and renumbered example of Hornby's BR Standard 6) leads a Midland service. The first vehicle is a Lima LMS bogie parcel GUV. This takes the total length of the train to 9 bogie vehicles, but the model Clan shares its chassis with Hornby's Britannias, so it romps around the layout with no problems at all!

To the Eastern region, with Kingfisher demonstrating the length of the train.

A blue B12 approaches Perdido Street Station with a train of de-liveried Gresley teaks.

Tornado, wearing BR Apple Green.

And finally, something completely different - a Gresley J39 with a train of weathered iron ore hoppers. There are twelve in total in the train. They are Modelzone exclusives: Bachmann produced 512 sets, and 4 of them are in this photo!

Catch y'all later,
Gavin

NNR.76079

Postby NNR.76079 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:47 am

always like to see up to date photos of your layout
If it steam and runs on rails i like it.
If its big, red and goes 'NEE-NAW' i like it

Black-Marlin

Re: Starlingford - The Sky's The Limit, Pg 117

Postby Black-Marlin » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:00 pm

Always nice to take pics!

But what, I hear the assembled multitudes crying, have I been up to besides taking pics?

To be honest, not a whole lot, but I have at least managed, in a team effort with my Dad and brother, to put up 12' of ceiling. As you will have seen from every picture I've ever taken of Starlingford, the roofspace is insulated with tiles of white polystyrene. They're effective (ish - the howling gaps between them still admit some impressively chilly draughts) but ugly, and so Team Starlingford set about rectifying the problem with 8'x2' sheets of 9mm ply. These will eventually be painted - what else? - sky blue, but in the meantime they do provide a rather better-looking finish than the naked rafters.

We started at the far corner of the layout - the section with the church and army base - because I have model aeroplanes I wanted to hang, and I can't do that until there is a ceiling from which to hang them...! Here are some pics:

And finally, just in case you thought I was in danger of making progress, in this view you can see the original ceiling on the other side of the layout, as well as the remaining area of major scenic work - the embankment!

Regards,
Gavin

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”