Starlingford - The End of the Line

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Corsavxr

Re: Starlingford - Now on the BRM website, pg 110

Postby Corsavxr » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:30 pm

Hi Gavin

Yeah did think about this, it was just to run specials as I'll try to keep the layout to a TTTE theme............

I'll build the 2 foot baseboards first then have a play to see if I'm happy with that!

Thanks

Iain

lerysc

Postby lerysc » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:51 pm

Just read through all 111 pages on this thread, the railway looks amazing Gavin, when are you next going to be reunited with starlingford so we can have some new piccys? Wish i had the space you have - or the modelling skill come to that!

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:39 pm

lerysc wrote:Just read through all 111 pages on this thread, the railway looks amazing Gavin, when are you next going to be reunited with starlingford so we can have some new piccys? Wish i had the space you have - or the modelling skill come to that!

Well colour me impressed, Lerysc. All 111 pages is some task - how long did it take you? I hope (in answer to your question) to be able to return to Starlingford sometime in the next couple of months. As for more space and more skill - I too wish for that!

Regards,
Gavin

lerysc

Postby lerysc » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:54 pm

I lost count a bit, probably 2 or 3 hours if not a bit longer. Over the last couple of months I've read far too many of the long threads in the under construction section on here from beginning to end! I should be doing many other things but procrastinating on the forums and designing my own layout always seem more appealing somehow... :oops:

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:57 am

A word or two about photographs.

I like my railway. I like to photograph it. And I like to display the photographs, not because I think they're brilliant (they're not) but because the images give me pleasure and other people might find them similarly enjoyable.

if you wish to use these photographs for your own ends, please ask me first. Unless there is some compelling reason otherwise, I am likely to say yes - but there may be a reason to say no, in which case I will explain it. A case in point: I just found pictures of Starlingford being used on Ebay to sell Javis lichen. If the person had asked, I would have said no, because there is no Javis lichen used on Starlingford and the picture was actually of a Woodland Scenics product. Copyright infringement is one thing; false advertising is something else again.

I hope my position is clear. If you want to use the photos, please ask first, so that you don't trip yourself up!

Regards,
Gavin

Splop.

Re: Starlingford - Photograph Guidelines, pg 111

Postby Splop. » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:16 pm

Cheeky little sod! :roll:

Can't you report him for doing that?

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:06 pm

Splop. wrote:Cheeky little sod! :roll:

Can't you report him for doing that?

Actually I phoned him up and explained the situation. He had apparently just lifted the picture straight from Google. He was a bit startled to be caught out, I think, but he took the picture down immediately, so no harm done! :)

But yes, 'cheeky little sod' is about right...!

G

Michaelaface

Postby Michaelaface » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:52 pm

where did you get that LMS TPO coach in BR livery?

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:51 pm

Michaelaface wrote:where did you get that LMS TPO coach in BR livery?

Hi Michaela

The BR Operating Mail Coach was part of the 'Night Mail' train set in the early 90s. The set consisted of the TPO, a corridor composite and a brake all in BR maroon with dark roofs, and a maroon Duchess, City of Nottingham. Nowadays the only place to find these coaches is Ebay, where I managed to obtain a second, but be warned - they don't come up that often!

Regards,
Gavin

Black-Marlin

Re: Starlingford - When Starlingford Met Rowland's Castle pg 111

Postby Black-Marlin » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:26 am

So, the Glasgow show has been and gone, and what is the after-action report?

First of all, I took along the DCC Programming track I've been building for the Aberdeen MRC. You can find it's thread under the title 'Whither Meffen'. As for me and my own progress, I've been quietly getting on with workbench projects. Among these has been another DUKW - not a kit, this time, but a diecast 1:72 vehicle from 'Blitz 72'. It needed dulling down and detailing, so after weathering, spraying on a matt varnish and adding various bits and pieces it now looks like this:

It went with me to Glasgow, as something else to stick on the 'Whither Meffen' board. However, it also managed to travel to even more exotic locations.... Peter Goss, the owner, operator and builder of the magnificent Rowland's Castle layout (which won the 2011 BRM award as well as 'best in show' at Glasgow) liked my DUKW too, and here it is in situ on his layout!

This has made me, as you can imagine, very happy indeed. And as for me and my modelling efforts, building Whither Meffen over the weekend....well, here I am. If you wandered past, this was indeed me :)

And, in a final piece of news, I will be going home in a week so expect true Starlingford updates from then!
Regards,
Gavin

DonB

Postby DonB » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:44 am

Great work on the DUKW, Gavin.

Having seen Rowlands Castle at Peterborough (the people accompanying me voted it their favourite!), it is perhaps fitting that your excellent work was chosen to appear on that layout.

Nice to be able to put a face to the name too! :D

Don
Don

My Layout Thread: viewtopic.php?t=14899

sishades

Postby sishades » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:59 am

Dude, I saw you at Glasgow but did not realize that it was ..erm ...you!!! Had I known that it was indeed you I would have come over and leered at your layout, waving my over sized rucksack about and ensuring that I had not washed for a week. Rowlands castle is indeed a wonderful layout, not just for its modelling but its setting. Great show though.
High towards the far post,Howard with a header,Hes done it!Steve Howard has scored for Leicester City,Bedlam here at the Walkers Stadium. the Leeds United players are flat out on the turf in utter despair. Leicester City are going to win again

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:24 pm

Hello chaps :)

Don, that is indeed my ugly mug; Sishades, ditto! Shame you didn't say hi, but you're right - Glasgow was excellent this year.

And now for the news. I am home! I am modelling! And I have new pics to share! Enjoy :)

Harry Potter and his Ford Anglia adopt their traditional parking technique:

Advertising hoardings appear next to the station:

A V3 appears on the new suburban coaches:

As does an N2:

Captured attempting to attack shipping anchored in Starlingford Harbour, a German miniature U-Boat is taken along the quayside:

Pete Goss (of Rowland's Castle) sold me some of his white-metal figures. Here are two of them:

The Seehund is taken away by Ivatt 2MT:

And the train of Trout hoppers has expanded significantly:

More updates tomorrow! :D

Regards,
Gavin

DonB

Postby DonB » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:48 am

Wow... Starlingford just gets better and better! :shock:

Those advertisement hoardings really look the part. Do I spy new streetlights too?

Cheers,

Don
Don

My Layout Thread: viewtopic.php?t=14899

mikem64

Postby mikem64 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:16 am

Hi Gavin,

I must say it's been well worth the wait, love the new photos. The suburban coaches do look the business & they blend in really well on your layout.

Look forward to further pic's coming.

Cheers,
Mike.
Wordsworth Model Railway Free Downloadable Card Kits can be found at here
http://www.wordsworthmodelrailway.co.uk

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”