Starlingford - The End of the Line

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
trains!

Re: Starlingford

Postby trains! » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:36 pm

Does the gresley still work on 2 rail?
Jake
Modelling Jakey's Junction!....
See here for my plan:
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=19546

Part of NRM'S officail freight masters
dudes club :cool:

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:16 am

trains! wrote:Does the gresley still work on 2 rail?

Sadly not - it's a 3-rail beast only. I just like having it 'on shed' as a piece of locomotive scenery.

So, jobs for tomorrow: Paint my 6 'Ten Commandments' factory units, and finally sort out Dundrumemlagh Castle's infamous 'White Tower'.

Bit of a pity I dislike painting, really...

Oh, and 2 pics for DRS, who likes his Western Steam...

Regards,
G

sarah

Postby sarah » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:07 pm

Very Nice Dublo loco!

Sir Nigel Gresley in Post WW2 condition.

Made from 1948 to 1953.

(Guess who got a Dublo Book for Christmas? :wink: )

Lee

Postby Lee » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:17 pm

Hi Black-Marlin,

Great picture updates specialy like the pic with the turntable in the back will look faroward to seeing that progress.

Lee
My N Gauge Layout.

Sunshine In The Lakes <<<<< Old layout no more

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=44159 <<<<< Back to the Lakes (New Layout 2013)

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:17 am

Lee wrote:specialy like the pic with the turntable in the back will look faroward to seeing that progress.

Lee

You and me both, Lee! I have been lent a router (rooter?) to carve out a lump of the table and drop the turntable 5mm, thus removing the nasty ramps up to it that so unsettle my locos when they ascend them tender first. I shall have to have a go and see what damage ensues...

In the meantime, because I am nothing if not a fan of the LNER, I have some pics to show off some of Gresley's finest moments. Before I do so however, can I draw your attention to the rather excellent stone walling in the foreground of some of the pictures? It is Javis Urban Walling, all obtained from our own Dr Stroganoff's rather excellent Ebay shop, Sleepers and Shunters. I bought 18 pieces off him in total (and one of the half-relief Metcalfe factories) and thus cleaned out his stock. Twice. But it looks very, very good. Here, see for yourself...

And finally...
Happy New Year to you all with my first post of 2009!

God bless,
Gavin

Class 66

Postby Class 66 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:24 am

A fellow LNER fan here Gavin. Love the LNER photos :)

Ohh and my first post of 2009!

Black-Marlin

Great Western Shrubbery

Postby Black-Marlin » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:19 am

Class 66 wrote:A fellow LNER fan here Gavin. Love the LNER photos :)

I had intended that this post would be a small celebration of Western steam diving through greenery, but when confronted with such a crie de coeur I would have to have been heartless indeed to ignore its implications. So, before we get to God's Wonderful, here's another pic demonstrating how additions to Starlingford have improved its depth tremendously:

Right. GW and bushes... :D

And finally, to try to redress the balance, an LMS loco:

Sorry all you Southern fans, no pics of Excalibur alongside the ivy-clad castle this evening. Perhaps in the morning. You see, it's my 25th birthday tomorrow (just seen the time - today!), and I have high hopes of some Maunsell rolling stock, so I will have to wait and see what the morning brings...!

I will finish with a line from one of my favourite films (first person to guess the film gets to request any picture they like of Starlingford - any loco, any angle, any location - and I will do a 'Winner's Day' along the lines of the stuff I've done in the past):

"A quarter of a century? Makes a girl think."

Gavin

lmsrail

Postby lmsrail » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:25 am

I love those two boats, are you thinking of making a dock area or a ship building yard?
Kind regards, Jed

Class 66

Postby Class 66 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:04 am

Oh Happy Birthday tommorow Gavin :)

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:33 pm

lmsrail wrote:I love those two boats, are you thinking of making a dock area or a ship building yard?

Hi lmsrail, yes, this is a light-railway-served quayside, complete with the fishermen's huts you can see and even filled fishboxes! Today I put down some pale blue paper as a temporary sea surface, just to get rid of the chipboard veneer. It's only until I do the plaster. Then I shall re-use the paper as a sky-coloured backscene.

In other news, a couple of Maunsell coaches arrived today cunningly hidden inside wrapping paper, and so I have some wartime Southern pics for your delectation...

G

Class 66

Postby Class 66 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:16 pm

The blue paper really makes a difference to the dock side Gavin.

Can I ask, the 1st coach that the N15 is pulling (the short one) what is it ?

Mighty

Postby Mighty » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:04 pm

Ah, it is a SR Maunsell Passenger Brake Van 'C'. Used for luggage etc. You can find it here for more details:
https://www.ehattons.com/stockdetail.aspx?sid=23068&img=2

Hi Black Marlin - Happy Birthday! As a Southern fan, and one with a nice new N15 and Maunsell's, I can really appreciate the view. It's a lovely layout you have - awe inspiring, and nice to see the long platform (metcalfe I think?) and excellent foliage. Any tips on the latter?
"We've shot off over a million cannon shells, and what's the result? One dachschund with a slight limp." - Blackadder

My layout thread: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=20737

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:48 am

Thanks, Stephen and Mighty, for the kind birthday wishes! Yes, Stephen, as Mighty has already informed you, the van is essentially a Southern cross between a brake van, a guards compartment, and a parcels wagon. The Hornby model is incredibly detailed for so humble a piece of rolling stock - the only thing I had to do with mine was add a drop of Peco lubricating oil to the axles, as it squeaked very irritatingly out of the box. It runs superbly now, though, and even with its long wheelbase copes impeccably with my 2nd and 3rd radius settrack curves.

Mighty, my technique (insofar as I have anything that is within screaming distance of being called a 'technique') for foliage is to try to blend everything together, even if that means adapting some products... Essentially, I wanted a very rich green, a real lush backdrop for my trains to run through. I wanted it to look unkempt but well watered. To that end, I went for shaggy grass around the castle (and in fact everywhere on that board). I used the Homebase hanging basket liner that ElDavo first showed me on 'Cramdin Yard'. However, as supplied (and as ElDavo uses it) it is very pale and suggestive of dried-out weeds. To re-vivify it, and not having access either to an airbrush or spray paints with which to paint it a darker green, I sprayed it with glue and covered it with Woodland Scenics Fine Turf Grass, which is a very lustrous green indeed. I also used the Turf on Lichen, which benefits greatly from it: without it, lichen isn't suggestive of anything in particular and therefore doesn't look all that realistic; with it, lichen approximates a bush with leaves. Finally, a word of warning. You can lay the basket liner on chipboard, where it is an extremely effective and cheap way to create ground cover, as you do not even need to paint the chipboard first. If, however, you want to add trees, you cannot drill through the liner, as the fibres will simply wind round the bit! Instead, either pre-drill the holes or, if you're using Woodland Scenics trees, simply glue down the base and cover with liner. Make an X-shaped cut over the socket of the tree base, pull the pieces away, and plant the tree in the revealed hole. Dead easy.

The ivy is Gaugemaster and comes in bags of scatter marketed as leaves. Simply paint with glue (I used Copydex) the pattern for growth that you want and sprinkle on the leaves (be heavy-handed, but do it over a sheet of paper so you can re-use the excess). After a couple of minutes tip the glued surface and shake off the material that wasn't stuck down, and voila - your ivy is ready. The bags, incidentally, are cheap and go a long way. Both the clumps of longer grass (as used in the marshalling yard) and the flowers are from Noch. A bit pricey (the flowers in particular, at £11 for an A5-sized tray of about 100 clumps) but very easy to use and very realistic. The final advantage? Both Noch and Woodland Scenics products are fade-resistant.

If you want, I can provide links for all these products. Hope my rambling tutorial helped!
Cheers,
Gavin

Mighty

Postby Mighty » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:14 am

Hi Gavin

I really should be in bed, much like you I think, but just thought I'd check this before heading for some z's. Thanks very much for the tutorial. I'm just at that stage where the last baseboards will go in to extend the layout in the next two weeks, and then I'll be at ballasting/greenery stage, so all this info is hugely helpful. Hanging basket liner sounds a great idea and one that I'd never have thought of. I've had a look at ElDavo's thread now too, which is outstanding, though thanks for the tip about the drill bit. Dad's only just trusting me to use his tools (like you I'm mid twenties - he's taken long enough!) so I wouldn't want to wreck them.

I got some lichen for Christmas too, and was scratching my head with what to do with it, so now I know. I'll have to have a hunt for some of that scatter I think - I'd like a nice lush scenic area as I'm hoping to do something vaguely like the South Downs - or at least rolling hills etc.

Oh, and as for the Brake Van, funnily enough my one I got a month ago squeaks horribly too! I just haven't got round to oiling it and one of my N15 tender wheels yet either. Still, I must stop playing at trains and get cracking on the scenic work (and start a layout thread).

Thanks very much for all the help - I've saved the post, and will use the details later.

Now, I really must go to bed!

All best,
Chris (aka Mighty)
"We've shot off over a million cannon shells, and what's the result? One dachschund with a slight limp." - Blackadder

My layout thread: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=20737

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:26 am

Actually, Chris, I am in bed - I'm just living the Wifi dream...

Mighty wrote:I'll have to have a hunt for some of that scatter I think

Woodland Scenics Fine Turf Grass:
http://www.ontracks.co.uk/index.php?page=product&prodID=63685&catID=710

Gaugemaster leaves:
http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=GM156

Have fun,
Gavin

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”