Starlingford - The End of the Line

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
User avatar
Black-Marlin
Posts: 1639
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:59 pm
Location: 61A
Contact:

Re: Starlingford - New and fully updated index, pg 1

Postby Black-Marlin » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:39 pm

Pedanticmongrel wrote:to shunt that train together you've had to give it more thought and got more out of it than you would have done if you'd just put them in any order.


Actually I tend not to bother with shunting - I assemble rakes in the fiddleyard by hand. For me, the fun lies in seeing them rolling through the scenery - it's the aesthetics of a model railway, rather than it's operation, that I find pleasurable. Hence my comment about photographs.

I think we just have very different approaches to railway modelling! For you, it's about function; for me, it's about form! A prime example of this was my buying an N15 even though I had no interest in the SR or even any particularly appropriate stock for it to haul (it was limited to Pullmans) - I bought simply because I thought it was a lovely-looking loco. Now, of course, I have further Southern stock - Maunsell coaches, a T9, a... oh, I haven't mentioned that one yet, have I? Mighty's not the only one who's got a secret SR loco.... :wink:

User avatar
Mighty
Posts: 240
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:18 pm
Location: Ruislip, Middlesex

Re: Starlingford - New and fully updated index, pg 1

Postby Mighty » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:42 pm

Black-Marlin wrote:Now, of course, I have further Southern stock - Maunsell coaches, a T9, a... oh, I haven't mentioned that one yet, have I? Mighty's not the only one who's got a secret SR loco.... :wink:


Secret Southern stock I don't know about! Good grief man, pray reveal all!
"We've shot off over a million cannon shells, and what's the result? One dachschund with a slight limp." - Blackadder

My layout thread: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=20737

User avatar
Black-Marlin
Posts: 1639
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:59 pm
Location: 61A
Contact:

Re: Starlingford - New and fully updated index, pg 1

Postby Black-Marlin » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:52 pm

Mighty wrote:
Black-Marlin wrote:Now, of course, I have further Southern stock - Maunsell coaches, a T9, a... oh, I haven't mentioned that one yet, have I? Mighty's not the only one who's got a secret SR loco.... :wink:


Secret Southern stock I don't know about! Good grief man, pray reveal all!


In good time, sirrah; in good time!

User avatar
Pedanticmongrel
Posts: 1335
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:14 am
Location: Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire
Contact:

Re: Starlingford - New and fully updated index, pg 1

Postby Pedanticmongrel » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:35 am

Black-Marlin wrote:I think we just have very different approaches to railway modelling! For you, it's about function; for me, it's about form! A prime example of this was my buying an N15 even though I had no interest in the SR or even any particularly appropriate stock for it to haul (it was limited to Pullmans) - I bought simply because I thought it was a lovely-looking loco. Now, of course, I have further Southern stock - Maunsell coaches, a T9, a... oh, I haven't mentioned that one yet, have I? Mighty's not the only one who's got a secret SR loco.... :wink:


We certainly do! But the way you look at it is very similar to my attitude to it 2/3 years ago, perhaps we need to get you down south having a go at running trains on the west lulworth layout, it may show you other ways of getting fun and interest out of model railways :)
As for the N15, I couldn't agree with you more, I have to say it is possibly the most elegant British 4-6-0 ever built, a controversial claim from a GWR fan! But, to quote a real Pedantic person I was speaking to on the Gauge O Guild stand at Warley, "you mean a King Arthur of course, an N15 is an LSWR locomotive".
I'm back and now I model in 'Strain your eyes gauge'...

User avatar
Black-Marlin
Posts: 1639
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:59 pm
Location: 61A
Contact:

Re: Starlingford - Form vs. Function, pg 88

Postby Black-Marlin » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:29 pm

Oh boy. No more railway purchases for me for a while. I went to Kwik Fit this afternoon to sort out a problem with a valve cap on one of my tyres (it was metal and had rusted to the valve) and came away £150 lighter, as I apparently needed two new rear tyres! :( The fitter even shook me by the hand when I explained that I hadn't had any skidding, since apparently the back tyres were so bald I should have spent most of my time travelling sideways. He reckoned I was about ready to take up rallying, if I could keep the car straight under these conditions...!

Oh, and Dan, should I ever find myself in your neck of the woods, then I'd be delighted to be shown the error of my ways...!

Regards,
Gavin

User avatar
Black-Marlin
Posts: 1639
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:59 pm
Location: 61A
Contact:

Re: Starlingford - Form vs. Function, pg 88

Postby Black-Marlin » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:23 am

Well, I'm back in NI, home of Starlingford!

I've had my first running session, and I have bad news. The left-hand eccentric rod on Tornado has come adrift, and I am unable to fix it. It looks like it's going to have to go back to Bachmann for repairs. :cry:

In an attempt to cheer myself up, I have been adding details to other railwayana. The New Century Bar pullman car is now occupied; the O4 has a crew; Excalibur has had its front end detailed (as much as it can be and still negotiate 2nd Radius curves) and the brake rodding added; the TPO and BG have joined the rake of the Night Mail; and I have found the tiny Preiser waterfowl and birds I thought had gone missing and I will be adding them to the layout probably later today.

Starlingford is returned to active modelling status! :D

Regards,
Gavin

User avatar
Pedanticmongrel
Posts: 1335
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:14 am
Location: Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire
Contact:

Re: Starlingford - Form vs. Function, pg 88

Postby Pedanticmongrel » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:22 pm

Black-Marlin wrote:I've had my first running session, and I have bad news. The left-hand eccentric rod on Tornado has come adrift, and I am unable to fix it. It looks like it's going to have to go back to Bachmann for repairs. :cry:


it seems the model fails just like the real thing, have you checked the boiler stays? Perhaps you should get a model of a reliable engine, I recommend 45407 :P

edit:

In fact, I reckon if you had stuck to a scale 75mph with 60163 you would have been okay.
I'm back and now I model in 'Strain your eyes gauge'...

User avatar
Black-Marlin
Posts: 1639
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:59 pm
Location: 61A
Contact:

Re: Starlingford - Form vs. Function, pg 88

Postby Black-Marlin » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:24 pm

Pedanticmongrel wrote:
Black-Marlin wrote:I've had my first running session, and I have bad news. The left-hand eccentric rod on Tornado has come adrift, and I am unable to fix it. It looks like it's going to have to go back to Bachmann for repairs. :cry:


it seems the model fails just like the real thing, have you checked the boiler stays? Perhaps you should get a model of a reliable engine, I recommend 45407 :P

edit:

In fact, I reckon if you had stuck to a scale 75mph with 60163 you would have been okay.


Thanks, Dan. Your pettiness has improved my mood no end. Again, thank you for your consideration.

User avatar
Pedanticmongrel
Posts: 1335
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:14 am
Location: Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire
Contact:

Re: Starlingford - Form vs. Function, pg 88

Postby Pedanticmongrel » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:14 pm

Black-Marlin wrote:
Pedanticmongrel wrote:
Black-Marlin wrote:I've had my first running session, and I have bad news. The left-hand eccentric rod on Tornado has come adrift, and I am unable to fix it. It looks like it's going to have to go back to Bachmann for repairs. :cry:


it seems the model fails just like the real thing, have you checked the boiler stays? Perhaps you should get a model of a reliable engine, I recommend 45407 :P

edit:

In fact, I reckon if you had stuck to a scale 75mph with 60163 you would have been okay.


Thanks, Dan. Your pettiness has improved my mood no end. Again, thank you for your consideration.


Okay, instead of an attept at humour to make you feel better, because it seems to have been a waste of time, I'll instead say the more boring yet true, I'm sure your warranty will cover the repairs to 60163 and she will be back running happily on your trainset within a few weeks. And maybe even, you'll get lucky and get a new loco for christmas to help take your mind off the reduction in motive power over this festive season.
I'm back and now I model in 'Strain your eyes gauge'...

User avatar
Mighty
Posts: 240
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:18 pm
Location: Ruislip, Middlesex

Re: Starlingford - Form vs. Function, pg 88

Postby Mighty » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:17 pm

Black-Marlin wrote:Well, I'm back in NI, home of Starlingford!

I've had my first running session, and I have bad news. The left-hand eccentric rod on Tornado has come adrift, and I am unable to fix it. It looks like it's going to have to go back to Bachmann for repairs. :cry:

In an attempt to cheer myself up, I have been adding details to other railwayana. The New Century Bar pullman car is now occupied; the O4 has a crew; Excalibur has had its front end detailed (as much as it can be and still negotiate 2nd Radius curves) and the brake rodding added; the TPO and BG have joined the rake of the Night Mail; and I have found the tiny Preiser waterfowl and birds I thought had gone missing and I will be adding them to the layout probably later today.

Starlingford is returned to active modelling status! :D

Regards,
Gavin


Hi Gavin, sorry to hear of your bad news regarding Tornado. I'm sure it can be mended by Bachmann, but why not take this opportunity to get out some of those little used engines that don't tend to get a run round. I had a GWR running session the other day and it cheered me up no end as a break from my Southern bias!

Looking forward to seeing your updates, in particular the New Century Bar pullman car which I've yet to see but from all the reviews sounds fantastic!

All best,

Chris
"We've shot off over a million cannon shells, and what's the result? One dachschund with a slight limp." - Blackadder

My layout thread: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=20737

User avatar
kennyGWSR
Posts: 1966
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: 89A Llanidloes
Contact:

Re: Starlingford - Form vs. Function, pg 88

Postby kennyGWSR » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:52 pm

Black-Marlin wrote:Well, I'm back in NI, home of Starlingford!

I've had my first running session, and I have bad news. The left-hand eccentric rod on Tornado has come adrift, and I am unable to fix it. It looks like it's going to have to go back to Bachmann for repairs. :cry:

In an attempt to cheer myself up, I have been adding details to other railwayana. The New Century Bar pullman car is now occupied; the O4 has a crew; Excalibur has had its front end detailed (as much as it can be and still negotiate 2nd Radius curves) and the brake rodding added; the TPO and BG have joined the rake of the Night Mail; and I have found the tiny Preiser waterfowl and birds I thought had gone missing and I will be adding them to the layout probably later today.

Starlingford is returned to active modelling status! :D

Regards,
Gavin

hey gavin hope tornado is up and running again soon. :)
sounds like you have been busy with the little details :wink:
im looking forward to seeing photos of your night mail set and the new century bar. :D
60089 Felstead :)
Layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=33128
Rail photos: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=28381

User avatar
Black-Marlin
Posts: 1639
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:59 pm
Location: 61A
Contact:

Re: Starlingford - Form vs. Function, pg 88

Postby Black-Marlin » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:45 pm

Image

Guess I made the 'nice' list this year...!

User avatar
trainsandco
Posts: 2135
Joined: Sat May 09, 2009 10:34 am
Location: Great Western Territory

Re: Starlingford - Form vs. Function, pg 88

Postby trainsandco » Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:41 pm

Black-Marlin wrote:Image

Guess I made the 'nice' list this year...!


oh yummy :) look at that lurvely :lol:

Ben
A layout is never finished, it's just a shortage of ideas.

Film-making Railway Enthusiast.

81D

dagenham
Posts: 185
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:28 pm

Re: Starlingford - Form vs. Function, pg 88

Postby dagenham » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:07 pm

hi ya mate
is that the hornby dcc sound duchess class???
if not still a cracker of a loco
peter

User avatar
cmeonthemove
Posts: 1356
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:23 pm
Location: Norwich
Contact:

Re: Starlingford - Form vs. Function, pg 88

Postby cmeonthemove » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:52 pm

I love that pic of the Duchess, beautiful loco and goes well with the coach stock. I've seen a few of these in N coming up on the Bay and am thinking of one of these myself.


Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests