Starlingford - The End of the Line

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Durseytu
Location: Trying to make progress on the layout... pigs will fly (hohoho)

Re: Starlingford - new pics, pg 77!

Postby Durseytu » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:57 pm

Stewart Gethin wrote:Love this picture, a long with the landrover going along side the line, i really like how you have done the mud track that its on.

When do you go back to uni? or have you finished? (i'm scared these amazing pictures are going to stop :[ )

Very nice again Gavin.

Stew

Agreed this is a very very good picture. Look a little closer and you can see the small flowers that are growing out of the grass verges. If you just focus on the Landrover it’s almost like you could be fooled into thinking it’s actually real. Oh and relax, Black-Marlin is back at uni, however before he goes back he takes a hole load of pictures that he can gradually put up on the forum while away from home.

So we can safely assume that there will be many more to come. :D

Cheers,

Stuart.

Edit:

P.S. Sorry Gavin, I've bumped this on to another page. It wasn't expected! :oops:
ImageImage

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:06 am

Hello all

I'm currently sick in bed, and on a cocktail of painkillers that - after a fraught trip to A+E on Sunday night - now includes opiates, so I'm not entirely with it. However, taking my time, I may well be able to navigate successfully to the end of this sentence and indeed to this thought. So, returning to your notes and queries:

ChrisWV10 wrote:Nice pics again as usual Gavin. Especially the 37s. I'm really getting a thing for diesels :oops: Just wish I had your photography skills as well :lol: Also I was just wondering if you have any lighting on your layout? I don't recall seeing any.

Cheers
C :)

Hi Chris. There is a very limited list of diesels that I like, and class 37s are at the top of it! This is probably why I have 4 :oops:

As for lighting, I do have some - the factories have skale lighting installed but not wired up. The layout itself is lit with a big fluorescent bulb extending from the marshalling yard to the chimney; behind the chimney I have a single unshaded 100w bulb.

A couple of class 37s -

And new page, new pics:

And in honour of Durseytu and his new purchase:

Regards,
Gavin

mikem64

Postby mikem64 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:15 pm

Hi Gavin,

Hope you get well soon.......we need you. :D

Now for the question ? I might have missed this within the thread somewhere but the photo of the hill with the tunnel portal & bridges, how did you do the yellow flowering effect. :?

I assume it's normal lichen you've used with some yellow scatter, but how did you glue the yellow scatter to the bush ? Did you use a dilute spray of PVA covering the whole bush and then just add the yellow scatter just onto the parts you wanted, or did you take more controlled method whilst applying the PVA & scatter, example blobs of PVA by brush & then the yellow covering ?

Lovely pics as always

Cheers Gavin.

Mike.
Wordsworth Model Railway Free Downloadable Card Kits can be found at here
http://www.wordsworthmodelrailway.co.uk

dman-lewis

Postby dman-lewis » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:46 pm

Im thinking he should do a liitle guide, not that this site is one but maybe add to the info that is all ready there.

But great pictures and views again.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/39259141@N05/ Mostly photos of railway surroundings in my life.
http://whitwellstation.com/

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:48 pm

Hi Mike

I believe this is what you're looking for...

Black-Marlin wrote:The gorse bushes are dead easy. First, take your lichen. Spray it with PVA. Add scatter to 'leaf it up' a little (I use Woodland Scenics Fine Turf Green Grass). Allow to dry. Spray again with PVA, and sprinkle on yellow scatter (I use Noch Flower Petals, which offer a good range of colours - yellow for gorse, pinkish red for rosebay willowherb, purple for buddleia, and white for daisies). Finish off with a coat of hairspray to seal it all in (I use Cossack).

Perhaps the only thing to add is that in my case the lichen was already glued in position before I started all of that - dropping on the yellow scatter from directly above ensures that all the flowery bits appear right way up!

Hope this helps,
Gavin

Michael Thornberry

Postby Michael Thornberry » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:04 pm

Hello Gavin,
Hope you are NOT looking "as bad as you feel" - That wouldn't look nice :lol: Now, you could have "cum dhoun 'ere" an' got ill - Much more productive idea :roll: :lol: Get Well, soon, mate, we are missing "the arguments" :lol:
Kind Regards,
Michael Thornberry.

Durseytu
Location: Trying to make progress on the layout... pigs will fly (hohoho)

Postby Durseytu » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:30 pm

Hi Gavin,

Sorry to hear you are not well. It’s a shame that you can't find some comfort by running a few trains while in Scotland. The railway supplies a suitable escape if one is feeling a little down.

Cheers for the photo by the way. It’s a lovely loco and you have managed to capture it in a very good location. I love the generally mucky feel of a railway with the rusted rails discarded to one side. Also, was that shot of Tornado peeking over the top of the Mk1’s planned? If so that was very crafty! It also looks like you have a lump of plastic lying in between the rails on the other side. Hopefully that has been removed or we could be looking at a derailment in the future (these track maintenance crews clearly aren’t doing their job)!

And get yourself better by order of the forum!

Cheers,

Stuart.
ImageImage

DonB

Postby DonB » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:09 am

Hi Gavin,

Sorry to hear that you are unwell.

Wishing for your speedy recovery.
Our thoughts are with you.

Don
Don

My Layout Thread: viewtopic.php?t=14899

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:06 pm

dman-lewis wrote:Im thinking he should do a liitle guide, not that this site is one but maybe add to the info that is all ready there.

But great pictures and views again.

Hi Dman. Fair enough; I will try and do a pictorial guide the next time I am home.

Michael Thornberry wrote:Hello Gavin,
Hope you are NOT looking "as bad as you feel" - That wouldn't look nice :lol: Now, you could have "cum dhoun 'ere" an' got ill - Much more productive idea :roll: :lol: Get Well, soon, mate, we are missing "the arguments" :lol:
Kind Regards,
Michael Thornberry.

Hi Michael

Unfortunately, I currently look like the elephant man getting hit by every branch as he falls out of the ugly tree, so I really am not at my best just now. As for the arguments - I'm rather heartened to be rid of them. In my current diminished capacity I doubt I have the mental resources left to remain more-or-less civilised when dealing with people, so any aggression directed towards me now is unlikely to be met with my customary temperence (!).

Durseytu wrote:Hi Gavin,

Sorry to hear you are not well. It’s a shame that you can't find some comfort by running a few trains while in Scotland. The railway supplies a suitable escape if one is feeling a little down.

Cheers for the photo by the way. It’s a lovely loco and you have managed to capture it in a very good location. I love the generally mucky feel of a railway with the rusted rails discarded to one side. Also, was that shot of Tornado peeking over the top of the Mk1’s planned? If so that was very crafty! It also looks like you have a lump of plastic lying in between the rails on the other side. Hopefully that has been removed or we could be looking at a derailment in the future (these track maintenance crews clearly aren’t doing their job)!

And get yourself better by order of the forum!

Cheers,

Stuart.

Hi Stuart.

Yes, I miss Starlingford! I also miss it because it's in my mum and dad's house, and frankly I'd love a chance to be coddled by my mum...

There are more rails to be rusted: once in place they will be overgrown with static grass and flock and all the rest of it. Then I will start adding further growth - the plan is that the bow-shaped gap between the mainline curve and the marshalling yard, the gap occupied by the signal box, will become a kind of mini scenic break, helping to define the geometry of the corner. If that makes sense and doesn't sound overly pretentious...

Well done for spotting the plastic debris - I hadn't...!

And as always, I will endeavour to conform to the will of the forum, especially when it works in my favour!

DonB wrote:Hi Gavin,

Sorry to hear that you are unwell.

Wishing for your speedy recovery.
Our thoughts are with you.

Don

Thanks Don, I appreciate that. :)

Regards,
Gavin

rocketman

Re: Starlingford - pics & opiates, pg 80!

Postby rocketman » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:26 pm

Gavin, I am sorry that you are ill...must be quite ill to need opiates
I hope this opiate inspired poem will make you feel better

Xanadu
Kubla Khan

In Xanadu did Kubla Khan
A stately pleasure-dome decree:
Where Alph, the sacred river, ran
Through caverns measureless to man
Down to a sunless sea.

So twice five miles of fertile ground
With walls and towers were girdled round:
And there were gardens bright with sinuous rills,
Where blossomed many an incense-bearing tree;
And here were forests ancient as the hills,
Enfolding sunny spots of greenery.

But oh! that deep romantic chasm which slanted
Down the green hill athwart a cedarn cover!
A savage place! as holy and enchanted
As e'er beneath a waning moon was haunted
By woman wailing for her demon-lover!
And from this chasm, with ceaseless turmoil seething,
As if this earth in fast thick pants were breathing,
A mighty fountain momently was forced:
Amid whose swift half-intermitted burst
Huge fragments vaulted like rebounding hail,
Or chaffy grain beneath the thresher's flail:
And 'mid these dancing rocks at once and ever
It flung up momently the sacred river.
Five miles meandering with a mazy motion
Through wood and dale the sacred river ran,
Then reached the caverns measureless to man,
And sank in tumult to a lifeless ocean:
And 'mid this tumult Kubla heard from far
Ancestral voices prophesying war!

The shadow of the dome of pleasure
Floated midway on the waves;
Where was heard the mingled measure
From the fountain and the caves.
It was a miracle of rare device,
A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

A damsel with a dulcimer
In a vision once I saw:
It was an Abyssinian maid,
And on her dulcimer she played,
Singing of Mount Abora.
Could I revive within me
Her symphony and song,
To such a deep delight 'twould win me
That with music loud and long
I would build that dome in air,
That sunny dome! those caves of ice!
And all who heard should see them there,
And all should cry, Beware! Beware!
His flashing eyes, his floating hair!
Weave a circle round him thrice,
And close your eyes with holy dread,
For he on honey-dew hath fed
And drunk the milk of Paradise.

Nothing about railways because it preceded them.
Best wishes
rocketman

ChrisWV10

Postby ChrisWV10 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:54 pm

Continuing the literary theme... hope this raises a (painless) smile :P

There was a young sailor named Kelly
Who complained of a pain in his belly
His doctor said "gas"
Take these pills, it will pass
Now Kelly is well, but he's smelly!

(from a book of limericks my mum had when she was in hospital ummm..... a lot of years ago! ... and never forgotten :oops: )

Sending warm wishes of chicken soup, fluffy pillows and fevered brow mopping your way for a speedy recovery

C. :)

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:57 pm

rocketman wrote:Gavin, I am sorry that you are ill...must be quite ill to need opiates
I hope this opiate inspired poem will make you feel better

Best wishes
rocketman

Thank you. Every time I read this poem, I get annoyed on Coleridge's behalf about that bugger from Porlock!

Cheers,
Gavin

egroeg93

Postby egroeg93 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:31 pm

ChrisWV10 wrote:Continuing the literary theme... hope this raises a (painless) smile :P

There was a young sailor named Kelly
Who complained of a pain in his belly
His doctor said "gas"
Take these pills, it will pass
Now Kelly is well, but he's smelly!

I can trump that ;) ;)

There once was a man from Nepal,
Who went to a fancy-dress ball,
He thought he would risk it,
To go as a biscuit,
But a dog ate him up in the hall!

rocketman

Postby rocketman » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:36 pm

I used to live up a hill outside Edinburgh just above his chum, De Quincey's cottage.
I am a bit of an opium expert ) nothing to do with my posts though!)
anyway
get better soon
rocketman

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:21 pm

Hi folks

After an appalling night (back on the phone to NHS 24 at 4 o'clock this morning) I have at last (I think) rounded something of a corner, so to celebrate...

A wonderful bird is the pelican
His bill can hold more than his belly can
He can keep in his beak
Enough food for a week
But I'm damned if I know how the hell he can...

Anyway...a nice pic, everyone?

(Note the well-concealed pillbox guarding the entrance to the opposite tunnel!)

In other news, the interior to the Hornby Goods shed has now arrived at home, so I look forward to finally ballasting it into position. You know the one...

And, because I can't help but get ahead of myself, I've already had a think about how I might go about cluttering it up...!

Finally, to clarify comments made above in regard to 'grassing up the waste ground between the marshalling yard and the main lines', this is the area I'm talking about (note the rotted sleepers stacked next to the signal box):

Regards,
Gavin

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”