Starlingford - The End of the Line

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
User avatar
Black-Marlin
Posts: 1639
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:59 pm
Location: 61A
Contact:

Re: Starlingford - new pics, pg 73!

Postby Black-Marlin » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:14 am

Well folks, you know the rule: new page, new pics :-)

Black 5 'Glasgow Highlander' waits to depart Perdido Street station with a rake of 5 Stanier coaches
Image

The Collett Goods passes the castle as a J39 crosses the viaduct and an L&Y pug works the quayside below
Image

The Hughes Crab leads a passenger service through the cutting
Image

Starlingford is green and pleasant as the L&Y pug gets an unexpected excursion out onto the mainline
Image

D49 'Cheshire' heads out across the lough while a J94 shunts a refridgerated van past the fishermen's huts
Image

Regards,
Gavin

User avatar
Durseytu
Posts: 729
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:18 pm
Location: Trying to make progress on the layout... pigs will fly (hohoho)

Re: Starlingford - new pics, pg 73!

Postby Durseytu » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:09 am

Hi Gavin,

Once again some lovely photos of the layout. You certainly manage to get numerous good photo shots, and given that you have a large amount of loco's, you have an almost infinite amount of photograph potential. I've been warming a lot to the black 5 class and have been thinking of getting one for the layout. Either that or a 5MT; both are lovely locos. In October I’m taking a trip to Scotland and will be going on The Jacobite, on the Fort William to Mallaig line. There is a chance that it could be pulled by a black 5 (although more likely an ex-LNER K1). Either way I’m quite looking forward to it.

With regards to the discussion on DCC versus DC, I too have toyed with the idea of converting to DCC. I'm unlikely to do so for the same reasons since the cost of chips and equipment upgrade (and technical problems) would be a bit more than I could handle (certainly if the boss finds out). I too have two old locos that were built before DCC was ever thought of so alas don't come with the sockets to fit chips. You would have to retrofit the motors with a DCC socket and essentially re-wire the motor (these last few points are for bbc100p’s benefit). I'm not very good at these fiddly things so I would more likely ruin a perfectly good locomotive.

As it is the blue A4 is in desperate need of a service, and my other Coronation Class is almost inoperable, although I’m hoping that I can revive it!

Cheers,

Stuart.
ImageImage

User avatar
cmeonthemove
Posts: 1356
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:23 pm
Location: Norwich
Contact:

Re: Starlingford - new pics, pg 73!

Postby cmeonthemove » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:50 am

What a superb layout this has turned out to be. I really like the water. I presume this is the sea foil you referred to in your other thread.

User avatar
Black-Marlin
Posts: 1639
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:59 pm
Location: 61A
Contact:

Re: Starlingford - new pics, pg 73!

Postby Black-Marlin » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:10 pm

Durseytu wrote:Hi Gavin,

Once again some lovely photos of the layout. You certainly manage to get numerous good photo shots, and given that you have a large amount of loco's, you have an almost infinite amount of photograph potential.


Thank you! I'm glad you like the pics. Given that I now have 50+ locomotives ( :oops: ) there are a lot of potential photographs that could be taken...the trick, as always, is in finding those bits of the layout where the scenery is up to scratch!

Durseytu wrote:I've been warming a lot to the black 5 class and have been thinking of getting one for the layout. Either that or a 5MT; both are lovely locos.


You may find this to be of interest - it's a review of Hornby's Black 5 that I put up on my blog. In the main I still agree with it, but there are one or two issues that have subsequently come to light that it is worth noting. It does not have as sorted a chassis as I thought, and this is because it features a sprung rear axle. Now, for the record, I do not like these: over time, the spring compresses, and you wind up with a locomotive that hops along because the spring does not keep the axle centered and it throws an oscillation into the entire wheelset. This is a problem with my 14xx, it is a problem with my N2, and it is beginning to be a problem with the Black 5. However, it may well be that Hornby has subsequently changed this arrangement - my Black 5 is a few years old. The person to ask is (I suspect) Bigmet, who seems to be a true authority on all things mechanical. He will almost certainly know the current state of play with the model. As for the Standard 5 - I think it is probably the better model. I just don't think it's as pretty!

Speaking of which, have you considered 2 of the creme de la creme of British 4-6-0s? The first of these is Hornby's rebuilt Royal Scot. It has far and away the best chassis of any 4-6-0 I own (streets ahead of the Black 5, and better even than the N15) and even though I dislike the 'face' (horrible smoke deflectors!) it is a supremely excellent performer. It will happily haul a 14-coach train (of which half are Bachmann's heavy Mk1s). The other option, which is, I believe, the best 4-6-0 money can buy, is the new Castle. I really want one of these (BR early crest, please, to go with my Mk1s) but have not, as yet, been able to afford it! However, I have yet to see it get anything other than a rhapsodic review, and it certainly looks handsome.

So, if I were you, I'd ask around a bit about the Black 5 before coming down on any one decision - and I'd remember that there are some other excellent 4-6-0s out there :wink:

Regards,
Gavin


Black 5 ready to depart Perdido Street
Image

Royal Scot on a rake of maroon Staniers
Image

Royal Inniskilling Fusilier eases past the marshalling yard, preparing for the long haul along the main line
Image

User avatar
Black-Marlin
Posts: 1639
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:59 pm
Location: 61A
Contact:

Re: Starlingford - new pics, pg 73!

Postby Black-Marlin » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:15 pm

cmeonthemove wrote:What a superb layout this has turned out to be. I really like the water. I presume this is the sea foil you referred to in your other thread.


Hi Chris. Thank you very much! There is still a lot of work to be done on Starlingford, but I think that so far it looks reasonable :)

Yes, the water is the Noch Sea Foil I have referred to elsewhere. I think the surface texture is pretty much exactly what I'm looking for for calm water, though it could perhaps do with being a bit darker... :?

Thanks again,
Gavin

Image

User avatar
Splop.
Posts: 349
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:18 pm
Location: Was West Bromwich, now living in Tipton

Re: Starlingford - new pics, pg 72

Postby Splop. » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:52 pm

Black-Marlin wrote:
bbc100p wrote:DCC FITTED!!! Mixed Goods set from Hornby!


Thus proving the points made made by both Stew and me. To illustrate further, how would you go about chipping a 1976 GWR Hall, built long before DCC was even thought of? :wink:

Gavin


I'd go here for a start. Image

User avatar
Black-Marlin
Posts: 1639
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:59 pm
Location: 61A
Contact:

Re: Starlingford - new pics, pg 73!

Postby Black-Marlin » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:01 pm

Splop. wrote:
I'd go here for a start. Image


My point was not that it was impossible, just that it was very difficult... :roll: I was trying to illustrate that actually, "it's as easy to have DCC as DC" isn't true in my case...!

Cheers,
Gavin

User avatar
Splop.
Posts: 349
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:18 pm
Location: Was West Bromwich, now living in Tipton

Re: Starlingford - new pics, pg 73!

Postby Splop. » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:33 pm

Black-Marlin wrote:My point was not that it was impossible, just that it was very difficult... :roll: I was trying to illustrate that actually, "it's as easy to have DCC as DC" isn't true in my case...!
Cheers,
Gavin


I won't argue with that. However anybody who's knows me will know that I'm not a quitter, so if I want to chip my 1975 Prairie or 1987 Class 25, I'm going to ruddy well do it! :wink:


(And possibly do a how to as well, providing I remember to take photos as I go along.)

User avatar
Durseytu
Posts: 729
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:18 pm
Location: Trying to make progress on the layout... pigs will fly (hohoho)

Re: Starlingford - new pics, pg 73!

Postby Durseytu » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:35 pm

Black-Marlin wrote:You may find this to be of interest - it's a review of Hornby's Black 5 that I put up on my blog. In the main I still agree with it, but there are one or two issues that have subsequently come to light that it is worth noting. It does not have as sorted a chassis as I thought, and this is because it features a sprung rear axle. Now, for the record, I do not like these: over time, the spring compresses, and you wind up with a locomotive that hops along because the spring does not keep the axle centered and it throws an oscillation into the entire wheelset. This is a problem with my 14xx, it is a problem with my N2, and it is beginning to be a problem with the Black 5. However, it may well be that Hornby has subsequently changed this arrangement - my Black 5 is a few years old. The person to ask is (I suspect) Bigmet, who seems to be a true authority on all things mechanical. He will almost certainly know the current state of play with the model. As for the Standard 5 - I think it is probably the better model. I just don't think it's as pretty!

Speaking of which, have you considered 2 of the creme de la creme of British 4-6-0s? The first of these is Hornby's rebuilt Royal Scot. It has far and away the best chassis of any 4-6-0 I own (streets ahead of the Black 5, and better even than the N15) and even though I dislike the 'face' (horrible smoke deflectors!) it is a supremely excellent performer. It will happily haul a 14-coach train (of which half are Bachmann's heavy Mk1s). The other option, which is, I believe, the best 4-6-0 money can buy, is the new Castle. I really want one of these (BR early crest, please, to go with my Mk1s) but have not, as yet, been able to afford it! However, I have yet to see it get anything other than a rhapsodic review, and it certainly looks handsome.


Hi Gavin,

Thanks for the info and the link to your blog, I may have a read at some point over a cuppa! I agree the Black 5 is much prettier whereas the Standard 5 has a certain brutish character (perhaps the Nissan Skyline of the train world if cars are your thing). The high footplate seems to give it a big shoulders appearance in my opinion.

A long while back when I was first building the frame for the layout consider a Patriot or Royal Scot (I’m guessing that the Patriots are almost identical in tooling). The smoke deflectors aren't a problem for me; I think both are very nice looking locomotives. The last thing I want is a bouncy spring problem. I believe I had the same on one of my old 0-6-0's where the rear spring stretched rising the back up over time which caused coupling problems and a tendency to bounce along the layout.

So yes thank you for raising this area of concern; I shall give the 4-6-0's you recommended some serious thought. Considering that most of my locomotives are either ex-LMS or ex-LNER builds, it would be nice to introduce a GWR build. The Castles certainly look the bee’s knees! :wink:

Cheers,

Stuart.
ImageImage

User avatar
Black-Marlin
Posts: 1639
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:59 pm
Location: 61A
Contact:

Re: Starlingford - new pics, pg 73!

Postby Black-Marlin » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:11 pm

Durseytu wrote:So yes thank you for raising this area of concern; I shall give the 4-6-0's you recommended some serious thought. Considering that most of my locomotives are either ex-LMS or ex-LNER builds, it would be nice to introduce a GWR build. The Castles certainly look the bee’s knees! :wink:

Cheers,

Stuart.


Just when you mention 'ex-LMS or ex-LNER builds', I am reminded (though I really ought not to have forgotten!) that Hornby is bringing out an all-new, all singing all dancing LNER/BR B17 later this year. Maybe you might want to hold off on making a final decision until after the first reviews of this are in? If it's up to the same standard as the Castle.... *drool*

Gavin

User avatar
Durseytu
Posts: 729
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:18 pm
Location: Trying to make progress on the layout... pigs will fly (hohoho)

Re: Starlingford - new pics, pg 73!

Postby Durseytu » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:23 pm

Black-Marlin wrote:Just when you mention 'ex-LMS or ex-LNER builds', I am reminded (though I really ought not to have forgotten!) that Hornby is bringing out an all-new, all singing all dancing LNER/BR B17 later this year. Maybe you might want to hold off on making a final decision until after the first reviews of this are in? If it's up to the same standard as the Castle.... *drool*

Gavin


Oh... oh dear... may I have them all? The boss is not going to like this idea... :roll:

I'm looking at the B17 now in the Hornby catalogue; I’m looking forward to seeing the production shots of the model. Still I can get a Patriot or a Royal Scot from the local and they are slightly cheaper than the latest black 5's that Hornby are releasing in this years catalogue. Oh the possibilities.

Cheers,

Stuart.
ImageImage

Stewart Gethin
Posts: 625
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:23 pm
Location: Bow street, Wales

Re: Starlingford - new pics, pg 73!

Postby Stewart Gethin » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:28 pm

who makes that pug that works the quayside?

Superb pics by the way!

Stew
Please take a look at both my layouts:
My layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28240
My 5" Gauge layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=29058

User avatar
Black-Marlin
Posts: 1639
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:59 pm
Location: 61A
Contact:

Re: Starlingford - new pics, pg 73!

Postby Black-Marlin » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:54 pm

Durseytu wrote:
Black-Marlin wrote:Just when you mention 'ex-LMS or ex-LNER builds', I am reminded (though I really ought not to have forgotten!) that Hornby is bringing out an all-new, all singing all dancing LNER/BR B17 later this year. Maybe you might want to hold off on making a final decision until after the first reviews of this are in? If it's up to the same standard as the Castle.... *drool*

Gavin


Oh... oh dear... may I have them all? The boss is not going to like this idea... :roll:

I'm looking at the B17 now in the Hornby catalogue; I’m looking forward to seeing the production shots of the model. Still I can get a Patriot or a Royal Scot from the local and they are slightly cheaper than the latest black 5's that Hornby are releasing in this years catalogue. Oh the possibilities.

Cheers,

Stuart.


The Patriots/Royal Scots are favourites of toy fairs and exhibition stalls. Mine has a book price of £105; I got it at the Dundee Model Railway Exhibition for £60 BNMIB! It might therefore be worth your while keeping an eye either on the exhibitions in your area or the online box-shifters, as they frequently offer pretty impressive discounts too.

Cheers
Gavin

Image

User avatar
Black-Marlin
Posts: 1639
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:59 pm
Location: 61A
Contact:

Re: Starlingford - new pics, pg 73!

Postby Black-Marlin » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:01 pm

Stewart Gethin wrote:who makes that pug that works the quayside?

Superb pics by the way!

Stew


Hi Stew

The Pug is a Hornby (formerly Dapol) model. It is widely regarded as the best of the 0-4-0s on the market, and it is returning to the catalogue this year (see here)

Glad you like the pics!

Cheers,
Gavin

Image

User avatar
Durseytu
Posts: 729
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:18 pm
Location: Trying to make progress on the layout... pigs will fly (hohoho)

Re: Starlingford - new pics, pg 73!

Postby Durseytu » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:08 pm

Black-Marlin wrote:The Patriots/Royal Scots are favourites of toy fairs and exhibition stalls. Mine has a book price of £105; I got it at the Dundee Model Railway Exhibition for £60 BNMIB! It might therefore be worth your while keeping an eye either on the exhibitions in your area or the online box-shifters, as they frequently offer pretty impressive discounts too.


Hi Gavin,

Yeah I always try and hunt around a bit, trying out a fair seems like a good suggestion. As for the Royal Scots my local does a couple at £85, compared to a Hornby price of £110.50, and the Pete Waterman version at £91.50 compared to £112.49 Hornby price. Generally I think my local shop represents a bargain most of the time, although Hornby's online prices do seem to be over inflated somewhat.

I'll have to look in to local fairs; I confess to being a bit of a railway newbie and have never actually been or know where they are! :oops:

Cheers,

Stuart.
ImageImage


Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Lysander and 3 guests