Starlingford - The End of the Line

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Pedanticmongrel

Re: Starlingford - pics & opiates, pg 80!

Postby Pedanticmongrel » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:55 pm

DonB wrote:Hi Gavin,
I hope you are now feeling much better.
Thanks for the additional photos - I always drop by and see what's new on Starlingford, whether it is on the rails, in the air, or on the water!

Pedanticmongrel wrote:...all I see is a Black 5, 'one of Stanier's mediocre creations' would be a more accurate description, a no frills machine that hardly pushed the boundaries of his talent, don't you think? :D

IMPNSHO, no.
"No frills" and "mediocre" maybe, but there were over 800 of the little (?) beauties, so something about them must have been "just right."

Having worked on one I'm telling you there is nothing that special about them, they are very basic untilitarian machines, that is why huge numbers were built, but they do make a nice noise.

DonB wrote:
Pedanticmongrel wrote:I don't see any 60xx (Kings) in this photo... ...so what do you mean about 'Stanier's finest' ?

Not sure what you mean either, PM - Surely the 60xx "Kings" were designed by C B Collett? :P

Cheers,

PedanticDonB

C B Collett got the credit as the CME but as his understudy at the time Stanier did most of the work, just like how Gresley got the credit for the A4 but as his understudy Oliver Bulleid did most of the work, the CME's in both of these cases looked at the plans and went, we'll just alter this and that and slap my name on it and it will do.
I'm back and now I model in 'Strain your eyes gauge'...

kennyGWSR

Re: Starlingford - pics & opiates, pg 80!

Postby kennyGWSR » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:16 am

Pedanticmongrel wrote:
DonB wrote:Hi Gavin,
I hope you are now feeling much better.
Thanks for the additional photos - I always drop by and see what's new on Starlingford, whether it is on the rails, in the air, or on the water!

Pedanticmongrel wrote:...all I see is a Black 5, 'one of Stanier's mediocre creations' would be a more accurate description, a no frills machine that hardly pushed the boundaries of his talent, don't you think? :D

IMPNSHO, no.
"No frills" and "mediocre" maybe, but there were over 800 of the little (?) beauties, so something about them must have been "just right."

Having worked on one I'm telling you there is nothing that special about them, they are very basic untilitarian machines, that is why huge numbers were built, but they do make a nice noise.

quite agree, listening to 45337 going over the metrolink hump on friday was amazing. leander on the other hand....all noise but no distinctive chuff (but then is does have more cylinders :P)
60089 Felstead :)
Layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=33128
Rail photos: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=28381

dman-lewis

Re: Starlingford - pics & better health, pg 81!

Postby dman-lewis » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:57 pm

Black-Marlin wrote:
Stewart Gethin wrote:
dman-lewis wrote:I still cant work out where picture 4 is on your layout.
Would mine me asking for a basic layout drawing?
I do really like this scene, in picture 4.

If I am looking at the right picture, I believe it is taken just before the train goes onto the bridge(has appeared in many of Gavins pictures this bridge has).

I hope that I've got it right, otherwise, feel free to slap me across the back of my head. ;)

Stew.

Stewart, you are quite right: that is exactly where it is. dman, here is, as requested, a (very very rough) track plan:

The art deco station is just before the castle, as this view shows perhaps more clearly:

Regards,
Gavin

Thanks. Make much more sence now.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/39259141@N05/ Mostly photos of railway surroundings in my life.
http://whitwellstation.com/

rocketman

Postby rocketman » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:06 pm

Pedantic, one of the things about being a master is that you recognise the apprentice's talent and facilitate it.
Our civil servants do not get any credit for what they feed govt ministers.
rocketman

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:21 pm

A couple of Staniers for you - but in motion, this time!

Hornby Princess Royal

Hornby 8F (LNER O6)

Hornby Rebuilt Royal Scot (with a load on!)

Regards,
Gavin

Mighty

Postby Mighty » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:37 am

rocketman wrote:Pedantic, one of the things about being a master is that you recognise the apprentice's talent and facilitate it.
Our civil servants do not get any credit for what they feed govt ministers.
rocketman

Well, that's certainly an interesting take! I'll say one thing, it's much more like Yes Minister than you expect...

Excellent stuff Dan, and I like the short videos. Good luck working on the layout next week, and hope you manage to achieve what you set out to do, and it's not a case of 'the best laid plans of mice and men...'
"We've shot off over a million cannon shells, and what's the result? One dachschund with a slight limp." - Blackadder

My layout thread: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=20737

Michael Thornberry

Postby Michael Thornberry » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:32 pm

Hello Gavin,
Excellent progress, mate. Don't forget to schedule my Lay-out :P :lol: into your Build-Programme, as you need to be kept "busy". Hope you and Family are All keeping-well. Speak with you later,
Kind Regards,
Michael Thornberry.

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:35 pm

Mighty wrote:I like the short videos. Good luck working on the layout next week, and hope you manage to achieve what you set out to do, and it's not a case of 'the best laid plans of mice and men...'

Cheers Chris! Expect to tune next week to 'Starlingford - Gang aft agley', but hey ho.... and here's another short video, this time of the Robinson O4 :)

Michael Thornberry wrote:Hello Gavin,
Excellent progress, mate. Don't forget to schedule my Lay-out :P :lol: into your Build-Programme, as you need to be kept "busy". Hope you and Family are All keeping-well. Speak with you later,
Kind Regards,
Michael Thornberry.

Hi Michael. Believe me, if there was any way I could take time off to come help you with your layout, I'd be in my car already, but sadly, it doesn't seem like a realistic option! My family is well, thank you, but I'm afraid I'm back on the antibiotics - another bloody tooth-based infection. Grrr... Also, ow....!

Cheers chaps,
Gavin

trainsandco

Postby trainsandco » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:56 pm

Mighty wrote:Excellent stuff Dan, and I like the short videos.

Mighty, I think you may mean 'Gavin'? :P
A layout is never finished, it's just a shortage of ideas.

Film-making Railway Enthusiast.

81D

Mighty

Postby Mighty » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:56 pm

trainsandco wrote:
Mighty wrote:Excellent stuff Dan, and I like the short videos.

Mighty, I think you may mean 'Gavin'? :P

Yes, I did. Profuse apologies to all. I'm having one of those 'weeks' at work where I forget everyone's name :s Sorry Gavin!
"We've shot off over a million cannon shells, and what's the result? One dachschund with a slight limp." - Blackadder

My layout thread: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=20737

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:18 pm

Mighty wrote:I'm having one of those 'weeks' at work where I forget everyone's name :s Sorry Gavin!

That's alright - I frequently get Nick Clegg and Judas Iscariot confused... :lol:

DonB

Postby DonB » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:46 pm

Black-Marlin wrote:
Mighty wrote:...I frequently get Nick Clegg and Judas Iscariot confused... :lol:

I thought that that was quite normal? :lol:
Don

My Layout Thread: viewtopic.php?t=14899

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:27 pm

Mighty wrote:
Black-Marlin wrote:
DonB wrote:...I frequently get Nick Clegg and Judas Iscariot confused... :lol:

I thought that that was quite normal? :lol:

It seems to be happening more and more often...!

rocketman

Re: Starlingford - sore teeth, Staniers and short vids, pg 84!

Postby rocketman » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:16 pm

No comment.
I expect the the good people of Aberdeen have their own view of this
as well as their own views of railway cuts dating back for many years and proposed ones
nice layout I hope it remains extant
BTW ...anyone
do not neglect dental hygiene, even if you great society does
I mean NHS
dental is really important because the same bugs affect your heart (literally, I mean it...they will shorten your life)
so do not neglect dental car(ies)
oops. did I say mental dental?
just do it!
get them fixed now.
(no poppies were harmed in the making of this post)
rocketman

Black-Marlin

Re: Starlingford - sore teeth, Staniers and short vids, pg 84!

Postby Black-Marlin » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:35 pm

In preparation for the arrival of City of Lancaster in a few weeks, I picked up another Hornby maroon BR Mk1 sleeper on Ebay this morning for a tenner. This enables me to run a reasonably prototypical-ish (ie, convincing if you don't look too closely in a good light) formation consisting of brake/composite/composite/buffet/composite/brake/sleeper/sleeper. An 8-coach rake is about the maximum Starlingford can accommodate in a straight line. Should I go on, later in life, to bigger and better things (like a house of my own, with a loft to play with!) then hopefully I will be able to 'run proper trains' and I can think about expansion - but for now, that rake is my WCML express!

Until City of Lancaster arrives, motive duties will be undertaken by Royal Scot Royal Inniskilling Fusilier. Expect to see pics next week!

Until then...

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”