Starlingford - The End of the Line

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Black-Marlin

Re: Starlingford - new pics, pg 75!

Postby Black-Marlin » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:40 pm

Metrocamel wrote:Very nice so far. Don't see too many military scenes on layouts. 76mm Sherman and a Churchhill if I'm not mistaken 8)
Liam

Thanks, Liam! You're quite correct - a Firefly and Churchill it is. And there will be considerably more militarisation of Starlingford in future; stay tuned! 8)

dman-lewis wrote:Just looked though most of the pages, this is a beautiful little layout well done.
May have come up before but where/ how did you get the long grass sheets? i've only seen short grass sheets.

My word, dman - that's quite an achievement! I salute your perseverence sir. The long grass is in fact hanging basket liner, bought from B&Q for a couple of pounds per pack. It looks very well, particularly when you go to town with it in terms of adding scatter and various other foliage things. Hope that helps?

Regards,
Gavin

dman-lewis

Re: Starlingford - new pics, pg 77!

Postby dman-lewis » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:56 pm

Well it took me some time but I love these gradual changes from start to finish.
Hoping to start mine soon, got a 5m x 2.4m space, hoping to go out side with it aswell.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/39259141@N05/ Mostly photos of railway surroundings in my life.
http://whitwellstation.com/

DonB

Postby DonB » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:35 pm

Have I ever mentioned how much I love this layout? Particularly the WW2/ military presence? :D

I have learned quite a lot from Starlingford; certain ideas and scenic features I may very well borrow/ steal for my own project! :D :P
Incidentally, this is one of the first threads I view after logging in to NRM!

Thanks Gavin. Great stuff! 8) 8)
Don

My Layout Thread: viewtopic.php?t=14899

sarah

Re: Starlingford - new pics, pg 75!

Postby sarah » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:50 pm

Mighty wrote:Hi Gavin

Black-Marlin wrote:

Also, I'm quoting the above picture as I love the incongruous SPV parked up in the background, just in case Captain Scarlet is needed to defeat the Mysterons! As for the Superquick buildings, I recall building a large number of these, and they were definitely not 'quick', and look just a little too clean sometimes. Trouble is, card and coloured papers is difficult to weather.

Spectrum Pursuit Vehicle

I also note the Red Spectrum Car, but cannot remember the code name for that...

Wrex

Postby Wrex » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:44 pm

Perdido Street Station

Loved that book, and since I'm struggling to come up with a name for the layout that my dad and I are making I'm a little frustrated I didn't think of it first!

That said, I'm not sure how suitable it would be for an early 1930's GWR/SR themed layout :D

Oh and might I ask what make your LNER N2 is? I recently bought a Mainline one off ebay, it looks fantastic but is a rather noisy and temperamental runner.

rocketman

Postby rocketman » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:59 pm

Mod Edit:

Post deleted as unnecessary and unsolicited. The last bit left in as a reminder of the posters opinion of himself and to give some indication as to why the post was reported and then deleted.

Hopefully he will honour his word by not posting on the thread again unlessinvited to by Black Marlin.

I will not plague you by continually posting this thread hereafter unless you ask me nicely, but I do think you deserve me.
and I do think this is 'constructive"

rocketman

Durseytu
Location: Trying to make progress on the layout... pigs will fly (hohoho)

Postby Durseytu » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:01 pm

rocketman wrote:and I do think this is 'constructive"

rocketman

I fail to see how in any way your last post was constructive; spiteful yes, constructive no. If you can't provide anything of value to anyone’s layout thread, or to any conversation then why bother? This is a model railway forum, and making deriding comments about peoples layouts is not what you should be doing.

I believe I told you this once before.

Stuart.
ImageImage

PeterH

Postby PeterH » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:59 pm

I think the bridge looks really good, an excellent focal point. Perhaps a bit of weathering to spice it up? Castle looks brilliant as well.
I believe a new page requires new pics? Oui? :wink:
"Gentlemen, pray silence for the President of the Royal Society for Putting Things on Top of Other Things."; 'Make Tea, not Love.'
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.

bigbob

Postby bigbob » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:29 am

"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."
Voltaire

Whatever Rocketmans views may be, having criticism edited it wrong.
Growing old is compulsary, growing up is optional!

ALL CLASS 50`S SHOULD BE CUT UP INTO SMALL PIECES AND USED FOR SOMETHING MORE USEFUL LIKE A PAPER-WEIGHT

Stewart Gethin

Postby Stewart Gethin » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:01 am

bigbob wrote:"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."
Voltaire

Whatever Rocketmans views may be, having criticism edited it wrong.

Agreed. but perhaps if it does go a bit Over the top it should be. but any complaints should be taken up in another section of the forum shouldnt it? or atleast not on someone's layout thread.

Gavin, the title says new pictures pg 77, its now pg 79 :) get your act together :) i always love to see the pics of this layout.

Thanks, Stew.
Please take a look at both my layouts:
My layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28240
My 5" Gauge layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=29058

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:27 am

DonB, thank you very much! Man, you're going to enjoy the next stage of Starlingford's development... :wink:

Sarah, that's either an SSC or SPC: Spectrum Saloon Car or Spectrum Patrol Car, depending on which episode of Captain Scarlet you believe...

Wrex, always glad to meet another fan! As regards names for your layout, have you considered 'Sorghum', which is the name of one of the drilling rigs mentioned in 'The Scar'? 'Sorghum Junction' has a nice ring to it... And my N2 is also a Mainline model. It will, I am reliably informed, eventually run itself to bits ( :( ), and thereafter I will probably replace it with the much better Hornby version. Most of the problems seem to be associated with the rough-running motor and the failure of the rear end of the chassis...

Stuart, thank you for your intervention.

Peter, thank you for your comments. The contrast they provide with certain other forum members goes to demonstrate (again) the truth in the old adage that says beauty is in the eye of the beholder...and you and Stewart are quite right: time for new pics!

B17 'Doncaster Rovers' crossing the suspension bridge:

The 28xx makes landfall:

Ben Cruachan departs Perdido Street with a van train as the 28xx arrives:

A J94 shunts a fish van on the quayside beneath the castle as 'Cheshire' passes overhead:

Black 5 'The Glasgow Highlander' is ready to leave at the head of a rake of Stanier stock:

And the O4 crosses the suspension bridge with an 18-wagon rake of 'Ocean' coal wagons, the castle dominating the background landscape:

And finally...

Rocketman, I saw what you wrote originally. Others' assessment of it seems to be essentially accurate. It was not particularly constructive (though parts of it were basically coherent); and the kinds of parallels you were attempting to draw between PhD work and modelling were essentially untenable (to be perfectly clear, I do not consider you, in any regard, to be any kind of 'supervisor'). You have made the points you felt compelled to make; there is no need for you continually to reiterate them. You have had your say, and it has been roundly condemned. As far as I'm concerned, this discussion, and your participation therein, is now finished.

Everyone else, I hope normal service has now been resumed!

Regards,
Gavin

trainsandco

Postby trainsandco » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:48 am

liking those pics and woah....the power of that 28xx must be huge....if it made a land fall :lol:

Can i just say, there is one slight thing i agree wiht rocketman on. I do think the bridge is fantastic, but i do think that weathering it would make your amazing landmark of your layout, better!

Regards

Ben
Last edited by trainsandco on Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A layout is never finished, it's just a shortage of ideas.

Film-making Railway Enthusiast.

81D

joshing_man

Postby joshing_man » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:46 am

Hopefully the last word on Rocketman -

It wasn't Gavin who reported the post.
Rocketman is perfectly entitled to express his viewpoint.
While Rocketman may feel that his criticism was justified it appeared as nothing more than a spiteful diatribe against a modeller and his layout by someone who doesn't have one.
The only editing was deletion of the rubbish and the leaving in of his inflated self opinion.
Gavin has requested Rocketman to cease posting on this layout thread and should therefore have the common decency to do so.
As a Mod it is sometimes a difficult call as to whether a post should be edited, deleted or left in place. In this instance following complaints (not the first against Rocketman by any means and he has been warned about his negative behaviour in the past by other Mods) I decided the best course of action was to delete the offending post.
If you have an issue with this then pm me and the other mods and have an adult discussion but no more on this thread please.

Sorry Gavin, back to you and get the pics up man!

Andrew
The Original Smiling Man With Train (SMWT):

ChrisWV10

Postby ChrisWV10 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:52 pm

Nice pics again as usual Gavin. Especially the 37s. I'm really getting a thing for diesels :oops: Just wish I had your photography skills as well :lol: Also I was just wondering if you have any lighting on your layout? I don't recall seeing any.

Cheers
C :)

Stewart Gethin

Postby Stewart Gethin » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:21 pm

Black-Marlin wrote:Black 5 'The Glasgow Highlander' is ready to leave at the head of a rake of Stanier stock:

And the O4 crosses the suspension bridge with an 18-wagon rake of 'Ocean' coal wagons, the castle dominating the background landscape:

Everyone else, I hope normal service has now been resumed!
Regards,
Gavin

Love this picture, a long with the landrover going along side the line, i really like how you have done the mud track that its on.

When do you go back to uni? or have you finished? (i'm scared these amazing pictures are going to stop :[ )

Very nice again Gavin.

Stew
Please take a look at both my layouts:
My layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28240
My 5" Gauge layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=29058

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”