Starlingford - The End of the Line

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
trainsandco

Re: Starlingford - Limpets, Mermaids and Sharks, pg50.

Postby trainsandco » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:48 pm

Hi Gav
I saw those Mermaids in Hornby Magazine and I thought that eventually I'd get one in BR black, just because I like the look of them ;)

Does anyone know the reason for that type of Mermaid not the flawless type ;)

Ben
Henley on Thames in the 30's

Southerner in a weird place called "Yorkshire"...

81D & 55A

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:02 pm

trainsandco wrote:Hi Gav
I saw those Mermaids in Hornby Magazine and I thought that eventually I'd get one in BR black, just because I like the look of them ;)

Does anyone know the reason for that type of Mermaid not the flawless type ;)

Ben

Hi Ben

The Mermaids are ballast wagons. They look the way they do because the entire load-carrying area tips sideways, dispensing the ballast in that way. It makes them very useful on lines with tight clearances or odd trackwork.

If you're getting one in black, what other engineering wagons were you thinking of getting to accompany it? Hornby, I know, made a black Shark...

G

Pedanticmongrel

Postby Pedanticmongrel » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:39 pm

You need some sealions to go with that lot! and maybe a catfish or dogfish!
I'm back and now I model in 'Strain your eyes gauge'...

bizzyd6405

Postby bizzyd6405 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:11 pm

those Mermaids look great got me really tempted to get some, can't wait to see the engineere train when it finaly arrives back at starlingford.

cheers

Darren

Road Stone

Postby Road Stone » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:11 am

Fantastic stuff. Keep the pixs coming.

Thanks, Jerry
I know Nothing!

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:33 am

Road Stone wrote:Fantastic stuff. Keep the pixs coming.

Thanks, Jerry

Hi Jerry

Well, seeing as it's a new page... :wink:

Really looking forward to how immeasurably shots like this will improve when I do the sea properly:

Not to worry: Plymouth is properly crewed, at least:

A lovely shed scene:

British Rail struts its stuff in the first years of the company operating:

Diesels appear on the scene:

And a lone pannier simmers in an industrial siding behind the mainlines as two worse-for-wear soldiers look on:

Cheers,
Gavin

Cjones_LNER

Re: Starlingford - New Pics, pg51!

Postby Cjones_LNER » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:54 am

hi, i have to say your layout just makes me go OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!! and then cripples me with jealousy cos I'd love a layout like that. Good on yer mate :D tis brilliant.
- "You can't own property, man!"
- "I can, but thats because I'm not a penniless hippy!

NSE DAZ

Postby NSE DAZ » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:11 am

Very impressive pictures they look superb 8), i just hope that when my construction begins it will look as good as this :wink:

Keep up the good work and updates

Thanks Darren NSE DAZ
Unleashing the toothpaste livery!!!Thank you for travelling Network SouthEast

mikem64

Postby mikem64 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:41 pm

Hi Gavin,

Evertime I look in to see what you've been up to I'm always amazed at the standard, I know I've said it before but that cliff face / rock area just gets better everytime I view it, you've got the full balance & feel just right. :P

One quick question, the Army figures you've used are they the standard Airfix 1/72 scale ones ? Or is there someone else that provides figures like these nowadays ?

Last year when I was at the Harrogate Show (BRM) their was a layout there that had Military figures in normal walking position etc, but I just couldn't get their attention to ask where they had bought them as they were all busy operating the layout.

I see some nice new modern loco's joining your fleet, I think you're right in your approach, if you like it then run it.

Catch ya later.

Mike.
Wordsworth Model Railway Free Downloadable Card Kits can be found at here
http://www.wordsworthmodelrailway.co.uk
The Wordsworth Model Railway Photo Album
https://michael-martin.imgbb.com/

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:07 am

mikem64 wrote:Hi Gavin,

Evertime I look in to see what you've been up to I'm always amazed at the standard, I know I've said it before but that cliff face / rock area just gets better everytime I view it, you've got the full balance & feel just right. :P

One quick question, the Army figures you've used are they the standard Airfix 1/72 scale ones ? Or is there someone else that provides figures like these nowadays ?

Last year when I was at the Harrogate Show (BRM) their was a layout there that had Military figures in normal walking position etc, but I just couldn't get their attention to ask where they had bought them as they were all busy operating the layout.

I see some nice new modern loco's joining your fleet, I think you're right in your approach, if you like it then run it.

Catch ya later.

Mike.

Hi Mike

The Army figures are Airfix (although these moulds have recently been sold to Italeri, so it's possible to buy the same figures from both companies! I went for the Italeri version because the figures seem cleaner, with less flash to clean off.) Airfix, Italeri, Revell, Hasegawa, Valiant and Hät all make 1:72 figures, though none of them - irritatingly - seem to make the 'soldiers at rest' you describe. I looked online for precisely that a couple of months ago, and couldn't find them, so I am trying to use combat soldiers in ways that don't necessarily suggest combat - men kneeling with rifles raised as base entrance and checkpoint guards, for example. I may even model a firing range! But if anyone knows where non-fighting soldiers might be found (the soldiers on the layout 'Overlord', for example), I'd love to know.

Thanks,
Gavin

GeoFF03

Postby GeoFF03 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:46 pm

When you searched for military figures, did you come across this site? http://www.ab-figures.co.uk/. The figures are metal and some do come in less agressive poses.

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:37 pm

GeoFF03 wrote:When you searched for military figures, did you come across this site? http://www.ab-figures.co.uk/. The figures are metal and some do come in less agressive poses.

That's brilliant! No, I hadn't seen this, but I'll spend a happy half-hour poring over it, I think... They look awfully good - bit pricey, though :? . Many thanks, Geoff!

I have also just managed to get Chris Mead's email address, so I shall ask him where he got his (he is the modeller behind the amazing 'Overlord', which was my vote in the Hornby Magazine Best Individual Layout competition).

And after a non-sensible foray into Dr Stroganoff's online shop, I've come away with another Class 37 - a second one for Starlingford in Intercity livery. This one, though, continues my obsession with literary trains: with reference to Philip Pullman and his "His Dark Materials" trilogy, this one is called 'Northern Lights'. Next step is probably a parcels rake made up of Hornby Intercity GUVs. I have one already, so making a train on that basis seems logical.

Clearly in an 90s phase at the moment - I'm even listening to Britpop. All together now: "All the people, so many people, they all go hand in hand, hand in hand through their...parklife..."

Regards,
Gavin

Cjones_LNER

Postby Cjones_LNER » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:45 pm

Black-Marlin wrote: my obsession with literary trains: with reference to Philip Pullman and his "His Dark Materials" trilogy, this one is called 'Northern Lights'.

wow, what other trains have you named after books?
- "You can't own property, man!"
- "I can, but thats because I'm not a penniless hippy!

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:07 pm

Cjones_LNER wrote:
Black-Marlin wrote: my obsession with literary trains: with reference to Philip Pullman and his "His Dark Materials" trilogy, this one is called 'Northern Lights'.

wow, what other trains have you named after books?

Hi Jones

The two previous literary trains that have appeared on Starlingford are for the poets Louis MacNeice and WH Auden. You can see both on this page of the thread (posts 3 & 8).

Cheers,
Gavin

BR125

Postby BR125 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:58 pm

Hi Gavin,

The layout is looking better than ever mate,keep up the excellent work! :D

Cheers
Daz
ImageWith my silken line and delicate hook,i wander in a myriad of ripples and find freedom!

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”