Starlingford - The End of the Line

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
User avatar
Black-Marlin
Posts: 1639
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:59 pm
Location: 61A
Contact:

Re: Starlingford

Postby Black-Marlin » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:51 am

Pedanticmongrel wrote:Oh and one other thing, I have learnt today that the name Tornado on an A1 is an imposted, the name Tornado was originally carried by a BR class 7. 70022 to be exact. So I say, don't get a boring A1 get a decent BR class 7 and get it renumbered! :lol:


This chestnut again... this is done, dusted, and will be left alone!

You don't like the Peppercorn Tornado.
I don't like the BR Standards.
We will never convince each other to change preference.
There is therefore no point whatsoever in returning to the same meaningless meandering arguing.

Ergo: quit it, you pest!

Kindest fuzzy feelings,
Gavin.

User avatar
Pedanticmongrel
Posts: 1335
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:14 am
Location: Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire
Contact:

Re: Starlingford - new pics on page 28

Postby Pedanticmongrel » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:46 am

actually I was wrong, the name Tornado was originally carried by a GWR "achillies" class locomotive and Hornby do a model of that class too! and I know you don't like BR Standards but if you get the chance go see 70013 oliver cromwell on the mainline, it is amazing, so inspiring, i know of others who will agree. much better to look at than that 60163 thing. :D Also the best model Hornby produce at the moment of a steam locomotive is their BR Standard class 7, it just pips the N15 after having tested them back to back.
Talking of best locos, still using a bachmann jinty? modified it yet for shunting purposes? :o
I'm back and now I model in 'Strain your eyes gauge'...

User avatar
Black-Marlin
Posts: 1639
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:59 pm
Location: 61A
Contact:

Re: Starlingford - new pics on page 28

Postby Black-Marlin » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:57 am

Pedanticmongrel wrote: Also the best model Hornby produce at the moment of a steam locomotive is their BR Standard class 7, it just pips the N15 after having tested them back to back.
Talking of best locos, still using a bachmann jinty? modified it yet for shunting purposes? :o


I have read wonderful things about the Hornby 7. I believe it's probably the most powerful model of a passenger steam engine out there (Bachmann's 9F being the most powerful freight loco). But I'm not particularly enamoured of them, therefore you're unlikely to see any on Starlingford.

And yes, I'm still using my limited edition Jinty. I'm not entirely sure what you mean by 'modifying for shunting', but it is modified: Sir Levin put working lamps on it, in the 'stopping goods' configuration. :D

User avatar
Pedanticmongrel
Posts: 1335
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:14 am
Location: Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire
Contact:

Re: Starlingford - new pics on page 28

Postby Pedanticmongrel » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:39 am

by modified for shunting i mean that you have to chop the springs on the underside of the loco off if you want to use it for shunting otherwise it's a bit like a beached whale on uncoupling ramps! :lol:
I'm back and now I model in 'Strain your eyes gauge'...

User avatar
Black-Marlin
Posts: 1639
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:59 pm
Location: 61A
Contact:

Re: Starlingford - new pics on page 28

Postby Black-Marlin » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:56 pm

Pedanticmongrel wrote:by modified for shunting i mean that you have to chop the springs on the underside of the loco off if you want to use it for shunting otherwise it's a bit like a beached whale on uncoupling ramps! :lol:


Ah. Well, since I have no uncoupling ramps, the problem is neatly circumvented.

In other news, tonight I was given, free and for nothing, a very old (1960s) Hornby BR Green class 47, complete with working illuminated headcodes :D (Sarah, I'll put up more info and pics in due course, so if you want to tell me what exactly it is I've been given I'd appreciate it!). So look out for that on Starlingford when I return to the layout in a week. Plenty of photos and plenty of modelling await. I've also been buying up Portlethen's stock of Metcalfe buildings and have just built the corner shop, so the actual village of Starlingford should expand quite substantially...

Really, really can't wait...

G
:D :D :D :D :D

User avatar
sarah
Posts: 340
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:44 pm
Location: North Wales

Re: Starlingford - Hornby Railways Class 47

Postby sarah » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:47 pm

Hi Gavin.

Your class 47 would be a Hornby Railways product. The 47 was first in the catalogue in 1974, (Any significance?) but it is believed the first "in the wild" were in 1975.
When we see the running number, more detail can be deduced.

User avatar
Black-Marlin
Posts: 1639
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:59 pm
Location: 61A
Contact:

Re: Starlingford - Hornby Railways Class 47

Postby Black-Marlin » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:07 pm

sarah wrote:Hi Gavin.

Your class 47 would be a Hornby Railways product. The 47 was first in the catalogue in 1974, (Any significance?) but it is believed the first "in the wild" were in 1975.
When we see the running number, more detail can be deduced.


Hi Sarah

Here is the useful info that, had I been thinking, I would have provided you with in the first place... :roll:

Its Hornby no. is R.060 (in fact the instruction leaflet has printed on it 'R060 040276') and its running no. is D1520. It has illuminated headcodes, which read IV03.

incidentally, I have finally got around to posting some locomotive reviews on my blog. These are the same as are lurking (or will be lurking, as one hasn't appeared yet) in the reviews section of this forum. For those who are interested, here are the links:

Hornby Princess Royal:
http://starlingford.wordpress.com/2009/08/10/quite-the-lady/

Hornby King Arthur:
http://starlingford.wordpress.com/2009/08/10/the-knights-of-going-round-the-table/

Hornby T9:
http://starlingford.wordpress.com/2009/08/10/the-dogs-danglies/

Bachmann J39:
http://starlingford.wordpress.com/2009/08/10/as-ugly-as-sin-but-as-useful-as-grace/

Regards,
Gavin

User avatar
Pedanticmongrel
Posts: 1335
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:14 am
Location: Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire
Contact:

Re: Starlingford - Hornby Railways Class 47

Postby Pedanticmongrel » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:38 am

Black-Marlin wrote:
sarah wrote:Hi Gavin.

Your class 47 would be a Hornby Railways product. The 47 was first in the catalogue in 1974, (Any significance?) but it is believed the first "in the wild" were in 1975.
When we see the running number, more detail can be deduced.


Hi Sarah

Here is the useful info that, had I been thinking, I would have provided you with in the first place... :roll:

Its Hornby no. is R.060 (in fact the instruction leaflet has printed on it 'R060 040276') and its running no. is D1520. It has illuminated headcodes, which read IV03.

incidentally, I have finally got around to posting some locomotive reviews on my blog. These are the same as are lurking (or will be lurking, as one hasn't appeared yet) in the reviews section of this forum. For those who are interested, here are the links:

Hornby Princess Royal:
http://starlingford.wordpress.com/2009/08/10/quite-the-lady/

Hornby King Arthur:
http://starlingford.wordpress.com/2009/08/10/the-knights-of-going-round-the-table/

Hornby T9:
http://starlingford.wordpress.com/2009/08/10/the-dogs-danglies/

Bachmann J39:
http://starlingford.wordpress.com/2009/08/10/as-ugly-as-sin-but-as-useful-as-grace/

Regards,
Gavin


Hey Gavin,

I know you'd have probably put money on me replying to at least one of your reviews and I have, I think the points I have raised may even be constructive enough that i should go work for one of the model railway magazines! :D
I'm back and now I model in 'Strain your eyes gauge'...

User avatar
sarah
Posts: 340
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:44 pm
Location: North Wales

Re: Starlingford - new pics on page 28

Postby sarah » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:18 pm

Its Hornby no. is R.060 (in fact the instruction leaflet has printed on it 'R060 040276') and its running no. is D1520. It has illuminated headcodes, which read IV03.


OK.

From the R Code on the instruction leaflet, R.060 Packed on 4th February 1976.

This is the second, improved, version of the Green 47. This came out in 1976, so yours is an early one.
This version has Traction Tyres, and the wiring is simplified. "16,000 were made in 1976. 'D1520' seems to be harder to find than the D1738." (The first version).
(Information from Pat Hammond's "Rovex" books...)

User avatar
Black-Marlin
Posts: 1639
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:59 pm
Location: 61A
Contact:

Re: Starlingford - new pics on page 28

Postby Black-Marlin » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:03 pm

Hi Sarah

Thanks so much! I'm resisting the urge to put up pictures just now, but I will do so when I'm home, and show you (and anyone else who cares to see) this magnificent model in all its glory!

Gavin

User avatar
Black-Marlin
Posts: 1639
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:59 pm
Location: 61A
Contact:

Starlingford - Capabillity Brown Returns!

Postby Black-Marlin » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:00 pm

Like Patton, I HAVE RETURNED!

Too tired to talk much just now. But hurry to your beds knowing all manner of goodies will start to appear on this thread in the next couple of days...

Regards,
Gavin






Oh, all right, just the one then...

My new K3 passes the newly installed signal box at Perdido Street Station:

Image

User avatar
Zanziba
Posts: 209
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:31 pm
Location: UK, Lancashire

Re: Starlingford - Triumphant Renewal Pg 31

Postby Zanziba » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:03 pm

Great shot, ballasting looks nice and neat too!

User avatar
Black-Marlin
Posts: 1639
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:59 pm
Location: 61A
Contact:

Re: Starlingford - Triumphant Renewal Pg 31

Postby Black-Marlin » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:14 am

Ballasting - what a pain in the fundament...

I just can't resist another photo. This one is dedicated, with all due affection, to Daniel aka Pedanticmongrel... Enjoy!

Image

User avatar
Pedanticmongrel
Posts: 1335
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:14 am
Location: Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire
Contact:

Re: Starlingford - Triumphant Renewal Pg 31

Postby Pedanticmongrel » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:15 am

Black-Marlin wrote:Ballasting - what a pain in the fundament...

I just can't resist another photo. This one is dedicated, with all due affection, to Daniel aka Pedanticmongrel... Enjoy!

Image


is that a Hornby N2? I'd really like one just not in that colour! :D
I'm back and now I model in 'Strain your eyes gauge'...

User avatar
Pedanticmongrel
Posts: 1335
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:14 am
Location: Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire
Contact:

Re: Starlingford - Triumphant Renewal Pg 31

Postby Pedanticmongrel » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:19 am

just occured to me that my Stirling Aingle would most likely sit nicely in that photo! :D
I'm back and now I model in 'Strain your eyes gauge'...


Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests