Starlingford - The End of the Line

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:53 pm

Yes, I've done the same thing on the 'edge' side of the turntable. Although I like the idea of parachute-retarded rolling stock! Sounds like the old Hornby-Dublo 'Battlespace' wagons - you know, the ones that used to launch helicopters or satellites or fire missiles or have toy soldiers pop up from inside them? I think one even exploded!

chrisalddin

Postby chrisalddin » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:56 pm

Black-Marlin wrote:Yes, I've done the same thing on the 'edge' side of the turntable. Although I like the idea of parachute-retarded rolling stock! Sounds like the old Hornby-Dublo 'Battlespace' wagons - you know, the ones that used to launch helicopters or satellites or fire missiles or have toy soldiers pop up from inside them? I think one even exploded!

no i do not know but i well take your word on that :P
This Hobby is going to make me pennyless :wink: :roll:
My layout. Lots of work done update 29/2/2008 New img's!

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:40 pm

Hats off to a splendid effort so far.I am particularly impressed with the way you have managed to use set track without it resembling a 'train-set' and I must say I much prefer the revised loco area and the idea of lifting that siding. Looks terrific!

Cheers, great stuff

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:05 pm

Infrontcat wrote:Hats off to a splendid effort so far.I am particularly impressed with the way you have managed to use set track without it resembling a 'train-set' and I must say I much prefer the revised loco area and the idea of lifting that siding. Looks terrific!

Cheers, great stuff

Tim

Thanks Tim :) . As for the 'revised loco area'...well, things progressed again! My dad had the idea of adding another board to help make fuller use of the turntable, so now I have the beginnings of a much more comprehensive 'motive power depot'...

chrisalddin

Postby chrisalddin » Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:55 pm

do you have more to tell us or are you up to date yet!????

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
This Hobby is going to make me pennyless :wink: :roll:

My layout. Lots of work done update 29/2/2008 New img's!

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:18 pm

chrisalddin wrote:do you have more to tell us or are you up to date yet!????

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Well, Chris, since you insist...!

Does that satisfy your cravings?! I'm in danger of running out of pics!

Gavin :lol:

dr5euss

Postby dr5euss » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:43 pm

Last edited by dr5euss on Sun May 22, 2016 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

tonycougar

Postby tonycougar » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:11 am

That reminds me of the layout I had when I was a boy.
I had my trains running around the outside of the loft floor and in the middle I had a runway and at one end hangars and lots of WW2 aircraft. Plus I also used the scenery for wargaming in 20mm. Eeeeh those were the days.
If there's a harder way to do it, I'll find it!!
View my layout progress at:-
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=15104

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:10 pm

dr5euss wrote:Very nice, Mr Marlin; looks like a fun layout for playing trains on 8)

it is! :D Although it's still very much in the preliminary stages of its development, it's coming along nicely. I like the variety of stock I have. Normally I run like with like, but sometimes it's worth ignoring history and region and running the trains that appeal to you...! I'm particularly fond of the LNER, although I have been trying very, very hard to prevent myself spending £250 on Hornby's SR N15 'Excalibur' and six Maunsell coaches... they look stunning. Still - must have willpower. MUST have willpower. This is not what a University grant was intended for...

Here are a few more pictures, showing the Flying Scotsman alongside the newly resited Hornby-Dublo station (now nearly 50 years old, and still in impressively good nick), and also some of the more esoteric stock I've accumulated or repainted...

And, just for those of you who liked the planes on Wyndham (the old layout):

Cheers,
Gavin

Eastern
Location: Portland, Oregon. USA - originally from East Anglia

Postby Eastern » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:40 pm

Great layout - sooooo much space! :D Liked the planes - maybe a Gypsy Moth flying over my layout might be good? Remember on my old layout of 30+ years back :shock: had some of those Airfix recovery and emergency vehicles - plus a 'shot-down' ME 110!
Like the variety and the bridge!

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:11 pm

Hi Gavin

Any chance of a wider shot from this angle?:

Cheers mate

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

mycerbera

Postby mycerbera » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:47 am

Love the airport! Planning on doing similar on mine with some spitfires :D

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:45 pm

Infrontcat wrote:Hi Gavin

Any chance of a wider shot from this angle?:

Cheers mate

Tim

I'll being going home for a week or so in a couple of weeks, so I'll see what I can do for you. There's a much nicer digital camera there too, so I'll see if I can't get a picture of the whole thing as well. Might be nice to set up some 'action shots' also...all those planes are still about, and maybe I can hang some overhead. I even have the Lledo truck that came with a (wrecked?) Harvard trainer in travelling configuration, so I may even have planes on trains, as well as just with them!

Gavin

Terrier

Postby Terrier » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:33 pm

Top stuff! Absolutely fantastic and highly inspirational! I wish i had that amount of space! :cry:

Look forward to more updates! keep em coming when you can mate! :)

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:25 pm

I've decided I hate ebay snipers. This is the third time in as many weeks I've bid on Intercity Swallow-liveried Mk4 coaches, only to have been outbid at the last possible second. As a result I'm still bereft of rolling stock.

Sorry for venting all over the place, but I suspect most of you out there will understand my frustration in a way that the non-modelling fraternity do not...

Gavin :evil:

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”