Andrew's Layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
cmeonthemove

Re: Andrew's Layout

Post by cmeonthemove »

GROTLAND wrote:Image

This photo is fantastic. Could easily be passed off as the real thing. This shows the attention to detail in the building to it's full potential.

I never use liquid poly - I learnt that very quickly in my kit building days. I use EMA plastic-weld too.
iankemp

Post by iankemp »

Feels like it been a while since you last posted something. Whats the latest build on the layout, owt or nowt???
js1975

Post by js1975 »

Dude this is genius.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

I wish I knew why Andrew stopped ......... he looks in from time to time.
This was THE thread to follow back in 2010 or thereabouts. Quite honestly
I don't think that anyone has come close on making worn buildings since.
Jim S-W's New Street is good, but these buildings were just sublime, &
so well done you could be forgiven for thinking some were real buildings.

Geoff T.
skyblue

Post by skyblue »

Dad-1 wrote:This was THE thread to follow back in 2010 or thereabouts.
The Parkend of its day?

Looking through a few pages of the thread it certainly is impressive and it's a pity we don't get updates on it now.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Hi Skyblue,

Way above that.

Geoff T.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

SouthernBoy

Post by SouthernBoy »

Hello Dad-1,

I'd go along with your comments. Andrew's layout set the standards to which many of us aspired to back then - and continue to strive for today.

Grotland set the bar :)

Other railway modellers - read and absorb this inspiring thread :)
IanOgden

Post by IanOgden »

Just joined and discovered 'Baltic Street'. I spent 8 years living/working in Edinburgh many years ago, starting before they closed the 'Caley' station, so am fairly familiar with the surroundings and atmosphere typical of Edinburgh's railways in the early/mid 1960's. Superb layout, which really captures the essence of that period, and is typical of a number of actual locations I knew, from Bonnington to Dalry. What material did you use for your tenement buildings? I have started building an Edinburgh-based layout, and would find the same material very useful. Also, whereabouts in the country is the layout, and do you permit visitors? I'm sure the photos - good as they are - don't really do it justice. :)
brit-in-bama

Post by brit-in-bama »

the last time he posted was Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:46 pm, I know he got a job and I have seen him post on rmweb for a few months after he stopped posting here, but I havnt seen him post anywhere for the last 2 years, pity really, he has done some wonderful stuff, perhaps he is busy, or he just gave up, who knows, but the modeling world miss his talent! and so I wouldnt hold my breath for an answer
stuartp

Post by stuartp »

Andrew posted on RMweb yesterday promising an update 'soon'. The layout is finished apparently, and he's been dabbling with the dark side (Southern...)
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/
GROTLAND

Post by GROTLAND »

Aye, the dark side Stuart. I've packed all that debauchery away; it wouldnea run on the layout anyways. Well, thanks lads, for the support and cheer. Ian you are welcome and just PM me; there's nothing special in the construction of the tennements. It was mdf base with styrene glues to the front for the most of it....good as it doesn't warp and still looks fine...well, the rooves are a bit skew-wiff. I think the construction is in this thread; maybe want to skip that styrene tile method....And Mark, a drink in London is long overdue; I'm sure you'll dissuade me from any Southern modelling.
I took these photo's tonight as it's a blowy dark one and I thought I'd do a bit of a "Southernboy" style update but devoid of any of the dapper niceties that belong to the 30's. In fact it will be devoid of the effort that Mark puts into his updates really.

We get off at Leith. The train could go further but it'd be in the pash. It were a 122 strapped to a 101 2 car unit and look at the enigineerin' train

I don't know how you do it Mark, I just can't be arsed

Aye, ere we are at the Alan Breck loonge. Bin drinkin' that Tennents all day. Tastes like warm zombie pash. Alan Breck wus a charactur from that famous American writer Doyle aye?

Aye that burd up thier in frunt o tha spot lamp. She wur a nun but sum coont cut er legs off and painted er habit pank like that 'Ornby post box.

And more T

It's pretty hard to take the night shots and the camera tends to brighten up the light sources. I don't like the starburst on my camera; could maybe dissable it. There should be loads of orange sodium glare from the city too but only on one side. I would love to explore artificial background lighting.
SouthernBoy

Post by SouthernBoy »

Glad I'm not out on those streets tonight - they look cold and forbidding to say the least! :shock:

It's great to be reminded of the jaw-dropping modelling / atmosphere you've achieved on Leith Baltic Street Andy. Totally inspirational.

For some reason my favourite detail has to be the illuminated 'Tennents' sign outside the Alan Breck loonge (or lyange as we say down south :) ) It's such a small detail, but one which is really quite evocative.

Anyway, jolly good to see you posting again and look forward to that drink in London sometime :)
Jim S-W

Post by Jim S-W »

Very nice indeed

Jim
carnehan

Post by carnehan »

I came across this thread a week or so ago for the first time and took time to read it all. To use the usual superlatives, it's magnificent. The modelling and painting skills are beyond anything I could possibly do. I have tried though and I thank you for so many inspirational ideas. I have taken your friends painting technique to pick out bricks in amongst the grime and had a go, albeit with much less success, at drawing the limescale staining on brickwork.

I'm pleased to see you posting again and hope that you will shower us with more techniques if only so I can make an effort to replicate on my own layout.

I apologise for the gushing awe inspiring drivel but your layout has left me dumbstruck and a little green with envy. :shock:

Paul