Andrew's Layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
GROTLAND

Postby GROTLAND » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:15 pm

Naw Dave. Y'can pash roond t'back.
I missed the bit showing how I got the frames square (almost square)
I cut a piece of acetate, the full length of the side and then scribed( very lightly with the blade point side ways, more of a scratch really) all the horizontals and verticals. Then using microstrip, put down the 3 horizontals, full length and then fiiled in the verticals afterwards.
If your measurements are good in the first place you can't go wrong, following the markings.
I find this R/C glue(in the pictures) excellent. It's strong, flexible and dries clear. I apply it to the strip with the point of a craft knife and if it gets on the glazing you can rub it off when its dried, with a wet cotton bud. Bit dear at 4 quid a pop though, eh?
Thanks for nice comments chaps.

DriffCharlie

Postby DriffCharlie » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:51 pm

Hi, as a fellow scratchbuilder can you please give full details ( ie full title & maker) of the r/c glue please?. do you also use that same glue to bond your hardboard to the plastic too???

Cheers

Charlie

GROTLAND

Postby GROTLAND » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:42 pm

Hallo Charlie. Here is the glue I'm using. It's R/C Modellers Craft Glue by Deluxe Materials. I use it to stick the plastic to the hardboard too as well as for the glazing but I use Polystyrene cement to stick styrene.
This R/C glue has quite a good initial tack that can hold stuff well and you can move the pieces for about 15 mins until it sets.
I have'nt tried many other glues yet so I don't know how well it stands up against the other products, but this one hasn't ley me down yet.
Cheers

iankemp

Postby iankemp » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:19 am

This has got to be one of my fave layouts! you will have to have it put in a model Railway magazine!

GROTLAND

Postby GROTLAND » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:25 am

Hallo. Hope you had a good Easter and got lots done on your layouts!
Instead of going to church or down the pub, I stayed in and constucted 3 small structures and got a bit sick of polystyrene cement and sliced fingers. Took a break to take some snaps and mess with photobucket. I see people are making good use of the edit feature and posting black and whites, so I'll join in. Also it's good If you can't get the colours right or just can't be bothered finishing a model.
I bought some second hand loco's from a toy swap; future paint and weathering projects for when I buy an airbrush. The Lima 117 was for a 100 Gloucester Unit conversion but no-one does one to my knowledge( I thought the Craftsman 119 was similar but nooo). The V2 is a ropey old bone. The B1 needed more than a paint job( big thanks to Bigmet for posting blow by blows and helping out with spares!)
Well, most of these pictures are taken in the awkward area where Edinburgh Suburbia meets the Grand Canyon( The main lines enter a tunnel and the branch is in front meaning a massive rock face and lack of realism).
This problem stems from the layout starting out as a West Highland line and evolving into a city layout and just a basic want for running loads of different trains.
The waiting shed(that's what it was called!) and signal box were built using the original plans in a book of Edinburgh and Suburban Railway(essential reading for the obsessive) I got the measurements wrong too. I guess I'll paint them in about a year and get them sitting straight.
It seems a camera can get where the eyes can't, so that means, even more work to do......aaargh

Eastern
Location: Portland, Oregon. USA - originally from East Anglia

Postby Eastern » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:58 am

Inspirational! - need I say more! have to agree that your layout really captures the atmosphere so many strive for! Really like the picture of the DMU crossing the viaduct especially with the grey backdrop/scenery, the weathered brick work, and the craggy mountainside.

boyofbears

Postby boyofbears » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:39 am

right,

HOLY CR*P THAT IS AMAZING,

right i have calmed down now,

NO NOT YET, WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!

ok, i really like this it is one of the best on the forum i have ever seen!

picture 5 does it for me :D
my imaginery friend thinks u have problems.......wait........
my layout viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17368 new!!!

blackpool_fy2

Postby blackpool_fy2 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:02 pm

boyofbears wrote:right,

HOLY CR*P THAT IS AMAZING,

right i have calmed down now,

NO NOT YET, WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!

ok, i really like this it is one of the best on the forum i have ever seen!

picture 5 does it for me :D

Think he likes it. As do I, great job. Love the last picture. Great ballasting. :wink:
Thomas

santene

Postby santene » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:49 pm

wooooooooow
proud modeller jake also known as Duke Jake the Bewildered of Mousehole by Sea :D

anyone got n gauge track i can buy

GROTLAND

Postby GROTLAND » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:55 am

Hallo, how are you? I've been getting inspiration from layouts here on the net, I suppose it's a bad thing when you're half way through your own layout. Have you seen the n gauge " Copenhagen Fields" or the 4mm "Liverpool Crown St" Unbelievable!!
Well, I've been trying to make a scenic break with this inspiration of tunnels, but my layout just doesn't have the space to make it work just right....so what...build it anyway.
I built a ticket office for my small station but it needed some depth behind it, so I started cutting up an old kitchen unit...I think it's mdf, it cuts nice with the jig saw but it's a no no for the craft knife. I don't like this part of the layout, so it's a guinea pig. If it works, fine , if not...well
ImageImage[IMG]
http://i256.photoImagebucket.com/albums/hh195/GROTLAND/DSCF1438.jpg[/IMG]
mouthes are too close!

problem here is, tracks layed right up to the backscene so the girder portal has no room for it's right leg(retaining wall will have to doImage)
circular file to form the elipses. Protractor is useful here for double track tunnel(just draw round it)
protractor again to measure 5 degrees for each knife cut(if you want this style portal)

here thay are after being built up with slaters plastikard and a coat of humbrol matt
These are Wickes test emulsions (75p for a pot). Black and Mushroom(use them, they are excellent) Mixed with water to consistency of milk
I brush it on. You can just see the enamel. It dries in about 1 -2 hours and you can rub some of it off with a wet cotton bud or something
I'm trying to make a stepped retaining wall in front of the portals, using slaters embossed plastic and ratio industrial arches('cause it's so damn close to the track)
Hopefully you can see what i'm trying to acheive by these pictures.
ImageImage
Thanks for listening guys..........guys?.........GUYS?

kas1611

Postby kas1611 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:09 am

You must be having a laugh that this is your first layout, either that or you are a natural. I have to say I think this is the finest layout I have ever seen and will be keeping an eye out for further updates.

I particularly like the "step by step" images of the scratch builds as being located in the West Indies I am miles away from the nearest decent model shop so it really is a case of "use what you can".

Hats off for all the hard work and I stand open mouthed in awe of what you have achieved. Just wish I could do the same.....well maybeone day.

Eastern
Location: Portland, Oregon. USA - originally from East Anglia

Postby Eastern » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:18 am

Just how do you do it! :D
Fantastic weathering there on the steps down to the platform - more pics please!

blackpool_fy2

Postby blackpool_fy2 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:55 pm

This layout is superb, it really is. What ballast did you use for this shot?

Looks fantastic. Those low relief buildings are splendid, well done.

Cheers,

Thomas. :D
Thomas

GROTLAND

Postby GROTLAND » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:09 pm

Thanks people! Comments give me the enthusiasm to continue.
Thomas, that ballast in Gaugemaster n gauge (granite, I think). It's not as light as it appears in the picture and it is slightly speckled with black. But it's the cheapest and goes down like a dream.

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:13 pm

Thanks for your depiction of building / weathering techniques - lots of useful tips there.

Really well composed photos of the layout too - it all looks exceptionally good.

"Have you seen the n gauge Copenhagen Fields or the 4mm Liverpool Crown St... " Yes, they're two of my favourites. Very inspiring. Another of my favourites you may like is South Pimlico. There's a few more images here.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”