Andrew's Layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Rammy

Postby Rammy » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:49 pm

I am absolutely gob-smacked by this layout.
I especially like the curved retaining wall. What is it made from?
Keep the photos coming.

GROTLAND

Postby GROTLAND » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:56 am

Hello again folks! Thanks again! I wanted to answer some of your questions about the layout.
The low relief housing is scratch built from hard-board with slaters stone sheet on the front,built and painted section by section, flat pack style and glued together later, the whole thing reinforced by rocket sticks(see picture) It needs detailing and roof tiles.
The layout's lit by 2 cheap flourescents and 2 60 watt bulbs, all in a line in the centre of the roof(no natural light). This creates the gloomy feeling, and the bulbs create long shadows and also hide some embarrasments!. I use a 100watt inspection light that can be moved around, for photography and extra shadows.
The baseboard was started 12 years ago(Jeez) but has sat neglected for 8 years. I put a spurt on and got hooked 4 years ago.
The station retaining wall is 2 large pieces of hardboard with the arches carefully jigsawed and craftknifed out. Then more hardboard behind the arches and the whole lot covered with slaters plastic emobossed sheet. The stones around the elipses are all individual, my brain blanks out the memory!
Ballasting was a mixture of all sorts(woodlands, guagemaster,carrs, jarvis and sand. Those points in the sidings are ballasted with sand then painted with emulsions which find their way all over the track sides. I never did ballast before so I didn't take care with points....oops....I'm still having running problems.
I'm building a signal box to replace the battered supaquick and taking photo's every step for the forum. I started buildings in December so it's hit and miss if it will be any good....no pressure.
I'll tell you how I did the rataining walls if you like or anything else you want.
Here's what I've built this year: Haymarket station building in a twisted opium inspired style, and a Caledonian signal box with Ratio LMR windows . When I finish andpaint them, I'll post blow by blows......sorry for monologue! but I want to see more scratch built stuff from you!

waz

Postby waz » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:30 pm

A masterpiece of scratch building. You also must have the patience of a saint.

My Very Best Regards

BILL.

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:59 pm

GROTLAND wrote:Haymarket station building in a twisted opium inspired style

Was it designed by Lord Byron then? ;)

I must say that the whole unit of low-relief building is utterly inspiring. A tremendously effective design and so cleverly constructed! Give yerself a big fat lollipop :lol:

Can't wait to see more. That station really looks wonderful too as does the signal box.

Cheers

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:14 pm

i don't know how i missed this one.
you'll have the railway mags knocking soon enough
excellent work all round, i love the weathering details you have done and i am inspired by the scratch building
keep it up
michael

Alexraptor

Postby Alexraptor » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:46 pm

Wow thats really impressive!
What i'd like to know is how did you get the rails to look so old, wethered and rusty and still be conductive? :shock:

SR/ScR Fan

Postby SR/ScR Fan » Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:58 am

Stunnnnnninnnng! I wish i had had your skills when i did my Scot layout! Keep it up! :)

Lee

Postby Lee » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:00 pm

Hi,

This layout has just topped my list of top 10 layouts ive seen

Outstanding weathering 8)

Lee
My N Gauge Layout.

Sunshine In The Lakes <<<<< Old layout no more

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=44159 <<<<< Back to the Lakes (New Layout 2013)

GROTLAND

Postby GROTLAND » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:02 am

Hallo! How yer doing? I built a signal box. It's got to be pretty accurate as it's sort of centre view on the layout. I took loads of pictures from the beginning and I realise now, that to show them all, blow by blow is very tedious and, if anything it just shows how disorganised and "bodge it" the way I work is and for some reason I've lost the courage to finish and paint anything.
I reckon the best pictures of model railways are train formations. I noticed "Peak" recreating workings of train failures and rescues.....very cool. I'll try and do something like this soon, but until then, heres the box...erm I should get out more.
Still awake?
Can yer tell wat it is yet?
Yep. that orange plastic is rancid. I should get some paper slates, but I recomend this microstrip for windows. At £2.55, you get loads in a pack.

Eastern
Location: Portland, Oregon. USA - originally from East Anglia

Postby Eastern » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:56 am

Pretty impressive! - How on earth did you get those upper windows looking so good and so square? Makes some of my efforts look like it came out of the infants :oops:

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:26 am

Ermmmmm :shock: :shock: :shock:

I'm just popping down to my layout with a hammer, matches and a can of petrol.........

Suffice to say your layout is not bad! Not bad at all!

Thanks for the excellent pictures.
Watford FC For Me Since 1976

waz

Postby waz » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:29 am

WOW!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for the masterclass.

Best Regards

BILL.

iankemp

Postby iankemp » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:33 am

this is such an aww inspiring layout!! wish mine was like this layout. you sure you not done this before?

santene

Postby santene » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:58 pm

simply amazing i loveyour weathering i cant weather for ma life it looks like it had had a mud fight
proud modeller jake also known as Duke Jake the Bewildered of Mousehole by Sea :D

anyone got n gauge track i can buy

davek

Postby davek » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:16 pm

Fantastic work sir!

" 'ere guv, any chance we can 'ave some steps to the toilet please?!"

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”