Andrew's Layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
GROTLAND

Re: Andrew's Layout

Postby GROTLAND » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:01 am

Hey Timmy! and cheers Stevie/Eastie/Tayie and Blackie (Marlin) :D
That is the rodding stuff I'm going to use but don't expect that quality :mrgreen:
Well here's what you get from Brassmasters....about 2 and a half quid for the etched sheet:
You can see what goes where yeah? I could not solder this stuff to save my life so I used poundshop 4min exoxy. Very fiddly!!! and annoying because the sides don't fit that well into the base...you should see the size of these things :D but here is a wobbly run:
More about this point rodding later.

I promised to do a feature on guttering and rainpipes...a how to do....It will follow. To be honest I'm not that impressed by their addition like be here's where I'm at:
There's only the big run of tenements to do.
I also put some details on the warehouse; runners for a long defunct dummy waiter thing and safety chains and bars:
...plus to repair the warpage to the roof :oops:
oK, the Workbench is on fire!....I'm off the dole and on self employed subsidy...this equates to "model your arse off and sell on e-bay and maybe we'll give you 50 squids for 16 weeks if you prove you're doing something....maybe not...lets rock!
Latest for sale "items" will be :
The Pretty Sisters:
Straight from Hattans and straight to bits...there's a 4-6-04mt from Hornby that I'd really like to keep aswell :D
Left to right: Pilot scheme 26, 33108, and my favourite (not decided on number) far north 26

Grotland sings for his supper!!! but now...women from many continents need his attention.

Kentman98

Postby Kentman98 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:36 am

GROTLAND wrote:I promised to do a feature on guttering and rainpipes...a how to do....It will follow. To be honest I'm not that impressed by their addition like be here's where I'm at:.

Guttering looks absolutely fine Andrew, just shut one eye and squint the other....thats what I have to do all the time when appraising my handiwork :D Seriously though, the detailing is great. I love that dumb waiter thingy

GROTLAND wrote: oK, the Workbench is on fire!....I'm off the dole and on self employed subsidy...this equates to "model your arse off and sell on e-bay and maybe we'll give you 50 squids for 16 weeks if you prove you're doing

Best wishes mate. Hope it is a success. I'm sure your ebay 'in box' will be buzzing 8)

GROTLAND wrote:
Grotland sings for his supper!!! but now...women from many continents need his attention.

Care to elaborate? :D PM's accepted :lol:
Trev

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.......

My layout thread

GROTLAND

Postby GROTLAND » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:15 pm

Yep, 2 pint drunk and dillusional :D

I forgot to post this picture:

I should be able to post up the step by steps for the pipes and which rods to use etc tonight. It may be helpful for improving peoples buildings and kits.

I've still got loads of grass to do. I'm no good at doing that static stuff but I'm pretty tempted to have a decent go after seeing Mighty's efforts with that grassmaster thing.
I'm going to experiment with some 'orrible old fur that I found fly-tipped down the lane near home. Even after bleaching, it's pretty skanky....I don't believe I'm doing this :mrgreen:

retroman

Postby retroman » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:43 pm

I think MARSHFIELD is coming along nicely ... then I make the mistake of checking out GROTLAND.

***Sigh*** .... modelling to aspire to. Wonderful buildings, Andrew.
1980s 50 and 37 basher. English Electric Roadie ....... Steam sniffers, move along please.

My Layout: MARSHFIELD WITH ELY BRIDGE
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=14241

rabbitaway

Postby rabbitaway » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:04 pm

Just stunning, the best layout anywhere bar none!

GROTLAND

Postby GROTLAND » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:40 am

Cheers you two; you don't mean it :shock:

Ok , the pipes. Made from Evergreen Rod and half pipe.

First the gutter (Evergreen 241 half rod..actually concave) is glued with Plastic weld to the building beneath the roof tiles. I had to clean the painted area and in some cases cut a strip of styrene sheet to make the gutter stand proud on a particular wall.

Then to decide which pipes will be rain pipes or which will be waste pipes (the waste ones are vented above the gutter-line) which drain bath/sinks. I've got real photo's to go on so that helps.
The waste pipes are bent at the top and plastic weld brushed on stop them bending back. All measured and pencil marked to aid the ribbed wall fastener positioning. I used Evergreen 221 (1.2mm rod) for the pipe. The end for the venting can be drilled with a pin vice if you are crazy :D

Next step is the double ribbed joint/fastener. A strip just short of 2mm was cut from the thinnest styrene sheet and wrapped around each pencil mark and held in place with those reverse tweezers.

Then brush plastic weld around the connection....place brush down....place lid on plas-weld(it evaporates faster than money)...count to 5 and release tweezers.

Now using the chisel knife nibble the strip off:

Make sure the joint scar will always be at the back of the pipe
Then roll it like you would a bogie for a few seconds

Do all the downpipes like this. It doesn't take long once you get going

Back to the first pipe. The plastic should have set now and you can use the edge of a needle file to rub the centre of the joint to create the double ribbed joint

Looks messy now but when it's welded to the building it should be good.

Ok, using a pencil, I marked a vertical line in the place on the building where the pipe would go and a mark at each joint.

Using the pin vice, I drilled small holes on these marks and then cut small pieces of 0.020 Evergreen rod (218) and push fit them with the tweezers...nasty job! . these will hold the pipe a little away from the wall ('scuse rubbish building picture)

Then the pipe was placed onto the small protruding rods and plastic welded. You have some flexibilty here. The plastic becomes very soft and you can fiddle about to get a decent position for the pipe. It's actually fairly sturdy..god knows how :D

The other thing to add is the tributary pipes. Here I used Evergreen 220 (.88mm rod).; bent one end 90 degrees and sealed with the plas-weld; then drilled a bigger hole in the building and pushed the pipe in and welded the other end to the downpipe. You can add the double joint to the tributary too...just for extra fun.

.....'orrible job, the lot of it, but what isn't ?:D

0121modeller
Location: Erdington, Birmingham,.... but can also be found at various railway bridges !

Postby 0121modeller » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:36 am

Hi Andy,
Great modelling & the step-by-step tutorial photo's are really appreciated, as it gives credit to yourself & helps to make this forum a great source of inspirational modelling work.

I wish you the very best of luck with that new ebay venture,
Once its established more, I'm sure things will become much easier & routinely enjoyable.

You have my full support, spiritual & telepathic guideance :D

Dave.
Scratchbuilding 4mm scale JXA scrapwagons ; - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37620
Scratchbuilt & kit built grappler claw cranes ; - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=36342

SimonDBench

Postby SimonDBench » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:16 am

Fantastic step by step Andy.

I think there is a lit I can take from that one when considering extra detail for my N Gauge but perhaps not as fantastically detailed as yours. It may send me mad :D

Simon

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:48 am

Hi Andy,

Thank You for yet another "Master Class"
You always amaze me with your attention to finer detail, so fine you can't really see what it is from normal viewing distance, but it looks better than others !!

I have attached down pipes with a short piece of 30 amp fusewire drilled into "Aeroclub" plastic tube, then add a couple of rings of fine fusewire, one above & one below to simulate clamps, always trying to keep the cut ends at the back. This has the problem of drilling the building wall EXACTLY where the stub has been stuck, just a few thou out and you can bend the wire, more than that you're in the kacky !! Quicker than your method, but I fear not in the same league !!
I would add a picture only I don't want to downgrade the quality we have throughout this thread .......

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Eastern
Location: Portland, Oregon. USA - originally from East Anglia

Postby Eastern » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:20 pm

Just when we were getting comfortable with the excellent level of modelling, Mr Grotland has to go and raise the bar higher - :roll:

I'm going to experiment with some 'orrible old fur
looking forward to seeing how this will go...glad you bleached it though, can't be too careful about bed-bugs and other creepy crawlies :shock: Good luck too with the ebay venture.
“Sir, Sunday morning, although recurring at regular and well foreseen intervals, always seems to take this railway by surprise.”
William S Gilbert

Charles

sishades

Postby sishades » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:44 pm

Yet more more shoddyness from our northern friend. When are you going to do something worth looking at? :mrgreen:
High towards the far post,Howard with a header,Hes done it!Steve Howard has scored for Leicester City,Bedlam here at the Walkers Stadium. the Leeds United players are flat out on the turf in utter despair. Leicester City are going to win again

Mighty

Postby Mighty » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:38 pm

Hi Andrew

Can't believe I've never posted on this thread for a start, but needless to say the latest work is fiddly, but amazing. That brassmasters point rodding is particularly effective - it's all the little details that count.

Also useful to learn how to do guttering and downpipes, and should save a bit of dosh on the old ratio downpipes etc. Nice to know there's something out there that sticks quickly - I'd never heard of plastic-weld, and I bet it beats using the good old airfix kit poly-cement which I've been doing.

Keep up the superb work,

Chris
"We've shot off over a million cannon shells, and what's the result? One dachschund with a slight limp." - Blackadder

My layout thread: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=20737

Kentman98

Postby Kentman98 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:59 pm

GROTLAND wrote: I'm going to experiment with some 'orrible old fur that I found fly-tipped down the lane near home. Even after bleaching, it's pretty skanky....I don't believe I'm doing this

yeah yeah pull the other one.

What have you got to eat for the rest of this week? Bear steak tonight, Bear casserole tomorrow....I hope it didnt put up too much of a fight though. They can get pretty mean when agitated :)
Trev

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.......

My layout thread

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:34 pm

sishades wrote:Yet more more shoddyness from our northern friend. When are you going to do something worth looking at? :mrgreen:

Oh Simon, you are such a wrong cabbage :lol:

That there's fighting talk round these parts. Then again, just aknowleging someone and saying hello to them in a friendly and polite manner is seen as fiaghting talk round these parts anyway :roll:

On a more serious note Andrew mi' old mate: I really like the tenements and they will look excellent on the old layout. However, I'm not sure that the fur coat you got for your mistress is going to be greeted with quite the same enthusiasm :P

Catcha later special bloke

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

Eastern
Location: Portland, Oregon. USA - originally from East Anglia

Postby Eastern » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:39 pm

However, I'm not sure that the fur coat you got for your mistress is going to be greeted with quite the same enthusiasm

Classic!!
“Sir, Sunday morning, although recurring at regular and well foreseen intervals, always seems to take this railway by surprise.”
William S Gilbert

Charles

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”