Andrew's Layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
SouthernBoy

Re: Andrew's Layout

Postby SouthernBoy » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:15 am

Glad I'm not out on those streets tonight - they look cold and forbidding to say the least! :shock:

It's great to be reminded of the jaw-dropping modelling / atmosphere you've achieved on Leith Baltic Street Andy. Totally inspirational.

For some reason my favourite detail has to be the illuminated 'Tennents' sign outside the Alan Breck loonge (or lyange as we say down south :) ) It's such a small detail, but one which is really quite evocative.

Anyway, jolly good to see you posting again and look forward to that drink in London sometime :)

Jim S-W

Postby Jim S-W » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:18 am

Very nice indeed

Jim

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:26 am

I came across this thread a week or so ago for the first time and took time to read it all. To use the usual superlatives, it's magnificent. The modelling and painting skills are beyond anything I could possibly do. I have tried though and I thank you for so many inspirational ideas. I have taken your friends painting technique to pick out bricks in amongst the grime and had a go, albeit with much less success, at drawing the limescale staining on brickwork.

I'm pleased to see you posting again and hope that you will shower us with more techniques if only so I can make an effort to replicate on my own layout.

I apologise for the gushing awe inspiring drivel but your layout has left me dumbstruck and a little green with envy. :shock:

Paul

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:55 am

Hi Carnehan,

carnehan wrote:
I apologise for the gushing awe inspiring drivel but your layout has left me dumbstruck

Paul

You're not the only one by any means that is left dumbstruck after viewing those streets.
It's supposed to be a railway layout, but the railway aspect falls into the shadows when
compared to these buildings & streets.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:42 am

Could have sworn that I saw John Rebus in that pub in one of the episodes!! So lifelike it is just bloody amazing!!! The night viw of the station reminds me of Dumbarton Central on a wet miserable night.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:38 pm

Having just read the whole thread I can only echo plaudits and can't say anything fresh - I'm just mesmerised.

I see in page 3 that you used hardboard covered by Slaters stone sheet. Can't recall seeing mention of hardboard in modelling before - what influenced its use as opposed to say 3.6mm ply?

IanOgden

Postby IanOgden » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:32 pm

Is there some way I can download some of those photos? The night-time shots are really great, very atmospheric. :)

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:16 pm

Old layouts just fade away .........
this was so inspirational, so following recent comments regarding this beauty
I'll show at least how to keep it up the pages of layouts under Construction.

so it's no longer 'under construction', that is no reason to forget. I would suggest
everyone runs through these pages, it has such a brooding character well beyond
a few trains running around tracks !!

I have heard rumours that Andrew is still Railway modelling and working on some
Southern plans. Will he ever go so public again ? I don't know, but I'd love to think
he's not burnt out his enthusiasm. Bluntly one of my modelling heroes.

Geoff T
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Pennine MC

Postby Pennine MC » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:57 pm

IanOgden wrote:Is there some way I can download some of those photos? ...

Ian, if you right-click on the pic, you should get a range of options including 'save as', from which you can drop it onto your desktop or into a folder.

Certainly interested in how Andrew interprets those South London tramways :wink:

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”