Andrew's Layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Bloody 'reet engine

Re: Andrew's Layout

Postby Bloody 'reet engine » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:22 pm

Thee ought to 'reet a book lad!

lmsrail

Postby lmsrail » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:42 am

Hi,
You have weathered those retaining walls just right they look great!
Regards, Jed

GROTLAND

Postby GROTLAND » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:15 pm

Hello
After a bit of time away from the layout I feel I want to progress quickly now with the buildings. It would be nice to try some greenery and have a go at building loco kits and stock but that'll have to wait or I'll never finish the layout. The plan is do an update at least once a week.
I've started the main structure which is row of 4 storey tennement blocks and it'll be about 10 inches high by 3 and half foot. The Scottish tennement should be an easy way of filling a massive space I thought, after all it's just a big box wi 'oles in it right? wrong! They are architectural marvels.
Well, luckily it seems I got quite a bit of spare time. Here's the base mdf material

and here's what I'm working from

that and some other pictures/the old modellers licence and google earth for the roofs
I won't go into that much detail about the stages of construction because I'm just useing the same techniques, shabby as they are, as the last buildings in this thread. The stone work in not embossed sheet this time, but scribed lines on really cheap sheet styrene with the pound shop chisel set.
I made a 2mm scale drawing of roughly what I wanted( cause the sections are so big) and just doubled the dimensions.
This is 1 third of the whole building (It'll be constructed in 2 full sperate pieces (wonky baseboard? no way). There's not much logic in my markings but I can follow them.
That's where it's gonna go, and it'll run almost all the way to the pub
A view I've never seen
The simple stacks of bay windows
A mucky emulsion wash over a careful enamel mix to achieve "Care Bear Pink" (It's not that bad without flash!)
Then I've gone back to enamel( a bit of a sandier shade for individual stones)
I put all the window frames in tonight and started on the lower sashes. There's gonna be over 450 seperate window panes in the full length building...Nurse.....nurse...it's still pink

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:32 pm

Welcome home ! How was your trip ?

And a quick and simple question: why do you switch between and enamel and water based paints (like is it because you can get better effects by using one type of paint over the other - I've only ever used water based paints) ?

Thanks

And don't worry, nurse will sort you out shortly :)

Eastern
Location: Portland, Oregon. USA - originally from East Anglia

Postby Eastern » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:35 pm

Welcome back Andrew! - Hope the travels went well -
Good to see Grotland back and look forward to seeing the finished building - need the inspiration!
“Sir, Sunday morning, although recurring at regular and well foreseen intervals, always seems to take this railway by surprise.”
William S Gilbert

Charles

GROTLAND

Postby GROTLAND » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:10 am

Evening gents. Yep, it's really really nice to be back....and in your fine company...thanks. That trip?... this is a public site.....I'll be opening a fine 18 year single malt with the both of you and I'll tell you about it..ha ha. The negatives outweighed the positives, honestly!
Mark. I don't really know that much about paint. I start with enamel because it's tough and I like to rub water based stuff over the top of a strong base. I use water based paint because it dries so quick and is really dull. Then I put some more enamel on because it thins down so well, without the watery blobs. But really I don't have a real method....still trial and error. I have this water/chemical discussion quite often with a friend of mine"Dead mans handel" who only uses acryllic on every thing and I think his results will be far superior to mine. when he gets going I'll be following.
Eastern, that building will take ages and will be more depressing than inspiring probably...ha. What have you been up to these days?. Oh yes..London was beautiful and that is a really good walk from St Pancras to Victoria of course. The tube, marvel that it is, never lets you really see London.

Dead Man's Handle

Postby Dead Man's Handle » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:53 am

Looks like it's gonna be another corker, Andy :)

How long do you reckon I gotta wait until you finish a roof (and gutters, etc.) on any of your buildings? :wink: Well the view from the hill is looking awesome even with that orange plastic.

The two reasons I use acrylic are:
a.) I have tubes of it all over.
b.) I have a decent idea about how the results will look, how it will react to mixing, etc.

It's not because I think acrylic works best for everything - I'll probably end up using enamels for something before too long. I do have some problems with acrylic paint coming off during handling, so I think your reasoning of having a tough basecoat is very sound.

Your different coats with different paint types obviously works well. I think a big part of what being a modeller is about is finding what works for you, and someone who indulges in a little trial and error and discovers the odd 'happy' accident is probably going to make more interesting models than someone who sits down and attempts to do everything 'by the book'. Your models are full of their own character - I would say they completely qualify as 'art' (like the opposite of... train set or something).

Ade
My bits and pieces

Dole scrubbers build 'em best!

burningbadger

Postby burningbadger » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:29 pm

Tremendous stuff as always, and I am fully in agreement with all the posts of true wonderment here at your skills. I do have one slightly prosaic question, and that is what did you use for grass? It is wonderfully shaggy, I love the bleached look, and it looks to give great coverage up and down embankments and such. I have trawled back through the posts, so apologies if I've missed you answering this question already, but it would be great to know.

Anyway, keep up the great work. Your efforts have caused me to view Edinburgh and Leith in a whole new light as I bod about town - in fact I was walking past the Leith boozer you modelled the other evening and noticed it is on the same street as the windowless concrete monstrosity that is the Leith Dockers Club; maybe room between your new tenement block and your pub to squeeze it in?

GROTLAND

Postby GROTLAND » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:16 am

Thanks Burningbadger. I don't think I did mention the grass. It's simply old carpet underlay. I got the tip from a book called scenic modelling I think, by a guy called Barry Norman. It says to pull the fibres apart then soak in a bucket of bleach and water overnight, then I dried it with a heat gun. When it's dry, you make 1 inch balls and you stick them down in a thick bed of pva. In a day when the glues dried you can pull it up in clumps. My attempts need lots more work and some green dye but the natural bleached colour of that underlay is pretty close to real long embankment grass. I think it would make a good base for wild embankment growth.
Yeah, that pub. It's called The Alan Breck Lounge, never been in. Do you know who Alan Breck was? 'cause I don't. I'll check that dock club next time i'm in town, it sounds wonderful. Safe to enter I wonder? probably empty after the smoking ban.
Here's some shots of the tenement block after the window frames and the lower sashes were fitted. The bay windows which have bowed in a bit will be standing 4mm proud of the main walls. The row of 3 with the gap beneath will be on the corner and form the end tower, so the left hand section will be at 90 degrees to the rest of it

Dead Man's Handle

Postby Dead Man's Handle » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:09 am

Looking fantastic :)

GROTLAND wrote:Do you know who Alan Breck was? 'cause I don't.

The internets tells me Alan Breck is a character from Robert Lewis Stephenson's 'Kidnapped' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kidnapped_(novel)) who was based on Allan Breck Stewart (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allan_Stewart_(Jacobite)).
My bits and pieces

Dole scrubbers build 'em best!

m.levin

Postby m.levin » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:40 am

Have you or are you going to light up the buildings?

GROTLAND

Postby GROTLAND » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:51 pm

The plans are to light up all the buildings eventually. You might be able to shed some light on this task Martin, when I get round to it, cause I know nothing about lighting circuits , diodes or which bulbs to use. I just know I'll need a lot of them. I'm trying to mask out any light bleed at this stage and the flats will be open at the back giving access to seperate floors. The plan is to make several open fronted cardboad boxes with basic interiors and lights and just slot them on channels into the various floors up to the windows. Not sure how successful this plan will be in practice but it'll be fun.

m.levin

Postby m.levin » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:47 pm

Noprobs happy to help mate. When you come over you can see how I have done mine.

taylork

Postby taylork » Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:35 pm

Absolutely brilliant work Andrew, your eye for atmosphere is outstanding, I've only just caught this thread so a couple of late thoughts. Did you sort the weathering on the pebbledashed building? have you tried using powders, I've been experimenting with the ash from my weber BBQ lots of greys and blacks, seems to stick to eveything well ( well me anyway). Also have you tried 3mm Foamboard as the base for your buildings, really easy to work with, tends to bow in large areas but gluing more on edge for floors and walls stiffens it a treat. It has the added advantage of one side being a self adhesive face, takes to paper and card really well don't know how it would handle plastic tho'.Suitably braced it's very strong and ultra light I use it for just about everything.Not tryin to steal your thread ( fat chance!) so I'll PM you a couple of pics
Kevan

lozstlouis

Postby lozstlouis » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:35 pm

GROTLAND wrote:Evening gents. Yep, it's really really nice to be back....and in your fine company...thanks. That trip?... Oh yes..London was beautiful and that is a really good walk from St Pancras to Victoria of course. The tube, marvel that it is, never lets you really see London.

Nod next time ur down here in the smoke... Lamb and Flag does get busy. Tried Coach & Horses around the other side of the Opera House...?

Sorry off subject!
OO in the loft. Lenz 90 making it go.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”