Birchley

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
mpeffers

Postby mpeffers » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:47 pm

Done a bit of research and I can now ammend the History slightly to more reflect real places:
A branch from South Molton on the Ex-GWR Taunton to Barnstaple Line to somewhere near the north coast of Devon at Trentishoe with the following stations: South Molton (0 miles), Charles & Brayford (6.6 miles), Leworthy (11.3 miles), Parracombe (16.1 miles), Kemacott (17.6 miles) and Birchley (18.7 miles) comes out at about the right length, finishing at a cliffy area.

The junction at South Molton could therefore allow through traffic up the branch from Taunton, Bristol and Westbury. So how about a service running from York via Doncaster, Sheffield, Derby and Birmingham to Bristol, where the train would be split into portions, Atlantic Coast Express style, for Minehead, Dartmouth, Newquay, Falmouth, Penzance, Barnstaple and, of course, Birchley. What do you think Tim?
Matt

mpeffers

Postby mpeffers » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:35 pm

Had a spare half hour again:

Had my doubts about how stationy it was looking when I started out, but I really think it's got the right feel about it now. Will go away and model it out of balsa sometime soon, then wait and see what I can cover it with.

[Edit] For some reason you have to click on it to see all the lines even though it should be displayed at full resolution anyway...
Matt

mpeffers

Postby mpeffers » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:00 pm

Slight Update:

I've found out why my debit card's stopped working and HSBC say it should all be sorted out byt the start of next week. I'll be able to start my scratchbuilding work then.

On to trackwork at the moment so its not really exciting enough for pictures but I might stick a proper trackplan up later (been fighting with my scanner over that, but I think I may have to settle with just taking a picture of it.

My nephew's coming over at the weekend and he, me and my dad are all into model railways so I expect a fair amount will get done then.

Just to get this completely straight, for ballasting you lay the ballast where you want it first, then spray it lightly with water to stop it from moving and then use a 50/50 mix of water and PVA with a drop of washing up liquid with something and leave it to dry. Out of interest, what do people use to spray the glue? I'm not quite sure how to approach this...
Matt

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:24 pm

Hi there, glad to see that you're keeping busy. I look forward to seeing the station as you build it :)
mpeffers wrote:Out of interest, what do people use to spray the glue? I'm not quite sure how to approach this...

I just used to use an old atomiser spray thing that came from an old bottle of dtergent. When it was finished with, I'd run through a fair bit of very hot water to clean it out and get shot of any glue left in the pipe. Seemed to work fine.

Cheers

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

Clifton009

Postby Clifton009 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:20 pm

mpeffers wrote:Just to get this completely straight, for ballasting you lay the ballast where you want it first, then spray it lightly with water to stop it from moving and then use a 50/50 mix of water and PVA with a drop of washing up liquid with something and leave it to dry. Out of interest, what do people use to spray the glue? I'm not quite sure how to approach this...

I've just done some more ballasting:

I haven't pre wet any of mine before glueing. I just arranged it with a brush and then added the PVA / Water & WUL solution to it with a large syringe. I use the Javis ballast. The last mix I made seemed more watery than before - I find it difficult to get it exactly 50/50, but it dried better than previously!!

mpeffers

Postby mpeffers » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:56 pm

Ah right ok. Thanks, looks good by the way.
Matt

Clifton009

Postby Clifton009 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:07 pm

mpeffers wrote:Ah right ok. Thanks, looks good by the way.

Thanks.

I like your station plan - very detailed.

:idea: I think some sort of canopy would look good on it.

mpeffers

Postby mpeffers » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:01 pm

Clifton009 wrote:
mpeffers wrote:Ah right ok. Thanks, looks good by the way.

Thanks.

I like your station plan - very detailed.

:idea: I think some sort of canopy would look good on it.

I did contemplate that but it'd make it a lot harder to make. I think I'll probably not secure buildings to the baseboard so they can be reused on later models so I could always add one later on if I feel confident enough. Haven't tried scratchbuilding before so it's going to be a bit of a learning curve.
Matt

mpeffers

Postby mpeffers » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:35 pm

Track is painted and laid. Off to fetch the drill now ready to wire up... Might actually have the first train running tonight :D Pictures to come
Matt

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”