Aston Barr

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
User Removed

Re: Aston Barr

Postby User Removed » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:02 pm

The layout is looking great!

If I were you I would be extrmely proud of that for a first attempt. The detail is great and the ballasting is superb.

frolly

Postby frolly » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:24 pm

Thanks for the photo's

you have made good use of your space and the detail is spot on! :wink:

keep us upto date with your progress
Frolly from Derby

villan

Postby villan » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:29 pm

Its been a long time since I posted an up date...........a very long time! Didn't realise how long it had been.

Progress during the summer (yeah summer!!!!) was none existant but with the colder weather and the shorter days work started again.

I spent a long time on the fuel depot.....only because I did a little bit at a time and not because of the size of the kit

I then moved on to the station and platform. I was going to buy a new station but I'd got a second-hand one off eBay and to keep costs down decided to have ago with the old brick paper. Quite pleased with the results.

Also been adding little bits to the earlier models. Here the goods have arrived in the goods shed

Another attack on a Hornby kit with the brick paper and a paint brush

I've also changed the roofing on the goods and engine sheds because I never been completely happy with them. The Hornby stickers I used and weathered had started to peel off anyway so I had to do something. I'll post some pictures when I have more time and get better pics.......these have been taken with a flash so they're not the best I've ever done.

I'm please with progress but really want to get some trains running. The track needs a good clean and I am trying explore the possibility of changing from DC to DCC.
Life is good; live it to the full :wink:

See my layout at http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=13205 - comments welcomed

villan

Postby villan » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:08 pm

Managed to get some better photos of the sheds.

Before

After

Think I know which version I prefer :)

See my layout at http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=13205 - comments welcomed

villan

Postby villan » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:55 pm

The goods yard is coming on. Need to be some grasses around the base of the perimeter fence, weather the ground and a couple of vehicles and I think it'll be done.....

ChrisWV10

Postby ChrisWV10 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:37 pm

Excellent work there and nice photos too. Love the little stacks of parcels at the goods shed. (We like parcels :D ) Little details like that really bring buildings to life.

How did you create the rough goods area? Is it just filla smoothed over then painted grey ?

villan

Postby villan » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:45 pm

Yep, plain old polyfilla spread thinly and painted with an emulsion sample pot

villan

Postby villan » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:30 pm

Its been a long time since I last posted......a very long time. Almost a year :oops:
To be honest I haven't really done anything on the layout through most of last year but have recently picked up the 'bug' again :)

My stalling point last year was how I get traffic in and out of the layout; bridge or crossing. I finally decided on bridge so had a go with some Scalescene kits but felt the incline was too severe. So, change of plan and now its a crossing. I'd built some bridge work so didn't want it to go to waste so I will use that as an end of track for an upper level that can't be seen too much because it goes off the layout into the wilderness.

Anyway, here's my bridge effort so far. Still a lot of work to do on it.

My big problem with progress is not really knowing much about railways in real life, so anything I do I have to search on the net for pictures etc beforehand. I'm sure my layout isn't too close to real life but I don't think its coming along too bad for a newbie.

Rammy

Postby Rammy » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:06 pm

Villan

I have just read through your topic for the first time and I must say that your work is fantastic. I especially like your weathering of the sheds and the detail on these tanks is superb

Keep up the good work and keep posting the photos.

Dave
My layouts (in progress):
Image and Image

Lewis Nash

Postby Lewis Nash » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:53 pm

Hi again

Nice to see some new pictures of Aston Barr.You could model the Scalescenes structure as an abandoned railway which has been partially demolished.Or as a small 1 platform terminus station which would carry on off the board in real life.Do you know what I mean?.Its suberb and breaks the layout into 2 so you dont see the whole width of the boards at ground level. :wink:
Welcome back :)

Regards
Lewis
NASHTON
website- http://nashton.webs.com/index.htm

ARPLEY STREET
http://arpleystreetmodelrailway.webs.com/
class 60 preservation group-http://www.c60pg.co.uk/
Lewis[ArpleyModeller]

villan

Postby villan » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:22 pm

Lewis Nash wrote:Or as a small 1 platform terminus station which would carry on off the board in real life.Do you know what I mean?.

In short no :D
The plan was to have two tracks running to the incline, buffered, which would have wagons stored so appearing to be the end of a line. The incline would then have rough grass and a tree or two.

sishades

Postby sishades » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:59 am

Nice work. I hope that you stuff Man Ure in the cup final in a few weeks time. There is only one Martin O God.
High towards the far post,Howard with a header,Hes done it!Steve Howard has scored for Leicester City,Bedlam here at the Walkers Stadium. the Leeds United players are flat out on the turf in utter despair. Leicester City are going to win again

Zebra

Postby Zebra » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:55 pm

Great layout.
The brick paper has completely transformed the buildings.I did not recognise them as hornby ones until I read it.
Superb.

Steve.
Do you hear the voices too???

jamest

Postby jamest » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:13 pm

Hi,

Just stumbled onto your work - I wasn't around on the forum a year ago when your layout would have been on the 'front page'.

I'm working on my first layout and I've got the same area to work with. Although my interest lies in a different era if I can come close to what your are achieving I will be very pleased indeed. Your eye for weathering is as good as any other example I've seen - I'm guessing you have always been interested in modeling? If not you must be one of those annoying people who find it easy! :P

I really like your work with the Hornby buildings - it really makes a difference to see original buildings on a layout - you've definitely made them your own.

If you have 5 mins I'd value your opinion of my layout - I'm not as advanced with the scenics - I've only just finished tinkering with the track.

I'm afraid I won't be wishing you luck in the Cup! Coming from North Devon I'm obviously a MU fan!

Cheers,
James

villan

Postby villan » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:58 pm

jamest wrote:I'm guessing you have always been interested in modeling? If not you must be one of those annoying people who find it easy! :P

I did the usual Airfix modelling when I was in short trousers (that was many years ago!) but never nothing with trains. I certainly don't find it easy but I'm pleased you think my work looks that good. I tend to rush but so far the results have been ok. I watched someone at a show do some weathering once and there's no way I spend as much time on my models. I only use good ol' Humbrol paints too; just dry brushing.

I would never expect to come across a Man U fan from Manchester anyway......they don't exist......do they :D

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”