Aston Barr

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
villan

Aston Barr

Postby villan » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:29 pm

So here I am, new to the world of modelling and trains in general. I always wanted a 'train set' but didn't make it known until very late in life. "I never heard you say you wanted a train" so my mother KEEPS on telling me lol :D

I know little about modelling (did the usual planes and tanks as a youngster) and even less about trains. You could count on one hand the number of times I've ever been on one. In fact, I was in two minds whether to keep the set I had for Christmas. But after surfing the net and looking at all the fantastic layouts, I got the bug.

I was also in two minds whether to post my layout on the forum but I thought that I'm sure I'll learn more if others get the opportunity to post their comments on my progress.

Here we go from the very start.

First the baseboard. Approx 6 x 4 made with 6mm MDF and 18 x 44mm battens

This was my first mistake. In hindsight I should have used 9mm at least but I think I'll get away with it.

Before laying any track I decided to weather it

I know the general rule is to lay and ballast first but I'm so glad I did this at the start sitting comfortably in front of the TV. Now its just a little touching up when its laid.

My first attempt at a layout was basically a Hornby trakmat

I didn't like this and thought it was an awlful waste of space. So I did this......

I've since have changed the points by the platform so they run into eachother.

Had a shot at ballasting on a spare piece of wood

Quite pleased with that.

Oh, by the way, this is the one that started it all off :)

Started to lay the cork underlay

I did buy the foam ballast stuff but decided not to use it when I saw the effect the 'real' thing gives. So laying cork to ballast over was the choice.

Some of my rolling stock

And another of my small fleet

Next its the points

had to play around with the rod on this since the point was close to the edge batten

I decided on Seep motors and kept costs down by only motorising the points furthest from the controllers (its DC if you were thinking).

So thats about where I'm up to at the moment. Still working on the underlay now that the points are finished then it'll be the ballasting. Hope you like what you see and I will try and keep this updated.

:D :D :D

adiefallguy

Postby adiefallguy » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:40 pm

liking it so far, making better progress than me.

Rail_Fan 15

Postby Rail_Fan 15 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:44 pm

Thats looking really good, the second track layout looks alot better than the trackmat based one you were talking about. And that is some really nice ballasting i saw too. Keep us updated!!!!!

PS. I completly agree with you about the Trakmat layout being waste of space, by knocking out the end siding you can add a couple more straights which it looks like you have already done.
Todd 8)

The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

Sprintex

Postby Sprintex » Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:06 pm

A good start so far I'd say - keep us updated with plenty of pics :wink:

Paul

Chuffer Chuff

Postby Chuffer Chuff » Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:15 pm

I think you've made a great start!

I love the painting/weathering you have done on the track, it looks really realistic and your attempt at ballasting is very good I must say! The goods yard and engine shed look the part, are they Hornby buildings from the look of them? :shock:

Well done with those point motors, they look like the PECO SEEP variety if I am not mistaken?

The Jinty and the Flying Scotsman look great and I've got some LNER coaches like those!

Keep up the great work and keep posting photos please! :D
"You only get one chance in life, so make the most of it!"

Sprintex

Postby Sprintex » Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:19 pm

Chuffer Chuff wrote:Well done with those point motors, they look like the PECO SEEP variety if I am not mistaken?

Really??? Where did you get that idea? :roll:

villan wrote:I decided on Seep motors . . .

Ah, that'll be it then :wink:

Paul

Chuffer Chuff

Postby Chuffer Chuff » Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:23 pm

LOL! :lol: Ahh yes I forgot he said that! Now I know! :D

villan

Postby villan » Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:43 pm

They're Gaugemaster PM2's :)

Chuffer Chuff

Postby Chuffer Chuff » Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:47 pm

Oh..right..got there in the end! :lol: :lol:

villan

Postby villan » Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:32 pm

Chuffer Chuff wrote:The goods yard and engine shed look the part, are they Hornby buildings from the look of them? :shock:

Forgot to say, yes they are. I've bought some Metcalfe brick paper to cover them because I didn't like the ones supplied in the Hornby kit. They also don't give you anything to put on the inside walls!

Chuffer Chuff

Postby Chuffer Chuff » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:19 am

Thanks for the info, they look great! :shock:

Any more buildings in the planning?

villan

Postby villan » Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:13 pm

Yeah there will be but I'm not sure how many or where yet.

The only one I know for sure will be an office or weighbridge for the entrance to the goods yard for trucks. I was going to do a village effect for the other area but not sure now whether to keep the buildings to a minimum and do some kind of embankment.

I've already got some buildings. Some Hornby cottages and some Superquick cottages and station masters office but I don't know whether they will all end up in the layout or not. I haven't made the Superquick ones up yet so they might end up on eBay if they don't get used. I bought them when I had one idea but that changed as soon as I changed the track layout :lol:
Everyday I wake up with a different idea so I'm going to get the ballasting done then decide.

Chuffer Chuff

Postby Chuffer Chuff » Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:17 pm

I'd go for the embankment idea if it was me. I think it would look great on your layout! :D The weighbridge is an excellent idea for the yard!

A few cottages would fit in nicely though! :shock:

villan

Postby villan » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:31 pm

I'd like to have got a turntable in it somewhere but I think thats for another layout on another day :lol:
It wouldn't fit in especially since I do want to get some domestic buildings in.

Chuffer Chuff

Postby Chuffer Chuff » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:57 pm

I would have to agree with you on that...I'm afraid you haven't got the space to accommodate one! :?

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”