MARSHFIELD: BR BLUE DIESEL ERA

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
live-frog

Postby live-frog » Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:08 pm

Superb cameo shot of the church and memorial. great advert for detail.
Ron

MrT

Postby MrT » Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:42 pm

"This bus has Brains on its side" - excellent.

Some nice automotive power there retro.

ClikC

Postby ClikC » Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:32 pm

Lol, the Bus spotting Neds will be pleased :D
ImageImageImage

Lofty

Postby Lofty » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:53 pm

Just taken a trip back through your thread, you have come a long way since April. Things are looking very good.

Lofty

retroman

Postby retroman » Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:31 am

One of the features of the area arond Marshfield, due to its coastal location on the Bristol Channel, are a string of WW2 pillboxes either near the railway or on the Sea Wall. I came across this kit by WILLS so I had to have one.

Here its about to disappear into the undergrowth, like the abandoned prototype.

Green Lane overbridge, now permanently affixed.

I'm working on this corner this weekend so shall keep the updates coming.
1980s 50 and 37 basher. English Electric Roadie ....... Steam sniffers, move along please.

My Layout: MARSHFIELD WITH ELY BRIDGE
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=14241

BrotherWolf

Postby BrotherWolf » Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:54 am

retroman wrote:One of the features of the area arond Marshfield, due to its coastal location on the Bristol Channel, are a string of WW2 pillboxes either near the railway or on the Sea Wall. I came across this kit by WILLS so I had to have one.

I live just above where the Ross on Wye to Lydbrook Junction line crossed the River Wye and on the North bank of the river there is a pillbox to guard the crossing. So I don't think you'd need to be modelling a coastal location to justify a pillbox.

Having thought about it, there was also one in a field where we used to live near Gloucester. No idea why they put that one there.

Love the way you've moulded yours into the landscape.

retroman

Postby retroman » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:14 pm

BW, there was a fascinating programme on recently about this very subject ... possibly TimeTeam. I've often wondered why you see them in unlikely places ... it transpires that these boxes weren't placed randomly, but formed defensive lines that criss-crossed the country. Each one was there for a strategic reason, and they are so well built they are very hard to remove.

Evil-smelling places now, mind. Why can't people go to the loo before they leave home?
1980s 50 and 37 basher. English Electric Roadie ....... Steam sniffers, move along please.

chrisalddin

Postby chrisalddin » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:19 pm

hay... WW2...

hehe there are some of them close to ware i live...
i been inside one.
it is next to a warkway along the river! not far from ware i live!

thnak god non of them was ever need as far as i know.
london last line of defence! if i rember right!

BrotherWolf

Postby BrotherWolf » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:49 pm

retroman wrote:BW, there was a fascinating programme on recently about this very subject ... possibly TimeTeam. I've often wondered why you see them in unlikely places ... it transpires that these boxes weren't placed randomly, but formed defensive lines that criss-crossed the country. Each one was there for a strategic reason, and they are so well built they are very hard to remove.

The one nr Gloucester was in a strange position because it was overlooked by a hill and it wasn't very defendable. A decent OP and artillery would have had it in no time. It was probably there to defend the airfield. Come to think of it, it was the airfield where Britains first jet fighter first flew during WW2.

Metrocamel

Postby Metrocamel » Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:02 pm

WWII is of great intrest to me. There is a Pillbox at the edge of a fireld near my City. Also one on the coast. I know also the hills in Sunderland known as Tunstall Hills have some part in WWII history as a defence platform. Always intresting to know this.
The one in the field was a little strange I think as it doesn't seem to have any objective to defend and could only ever have mounted machine guns which would not defend it against armour which would be likely to stick to the open country and roads during a landing.
"Out of commission become a pillbox, out of ammo become a bunker, out of time... become heroes"
Layout updated 18/10/09!
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=5360&p=215267#p215267

Pete

Postby Pete » Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:30 pm

I think as it doesn't seem to have any objective to defend and could only ever have mounted machine guns which would not defend it against armour which would be likely to stick to the open country and roads during a landing.

I don't thinkn the intention was ever to put up an adequate defence against armour, there's a certain propaganda value to them, from something is better than nothing view, particularly as they were often manned by the home guard who were hardley going to provide a stiff resistance to an SS panzer division. There was also a lot of naivety and mis-placed confidence of our defences, similarly with the French and their almost fanatical beleif in the Maginot line. If you want some interesting reading have a look at he war diaries of Allenbrook, whilst he was responsible for homeland defence he dispaired constantly at the inadequate defences that were being put up.

Fortunately the Germans were never in a real position in 1940-42 to launch a cross channel attack, operation Sea Lion would have floundered totally in anything but a mill pond because of the reliance on shallow bottomed barges.

Pete
Last edited by Pete on Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's the nature of evolution
The dinosaurs went to Hell

chrisalddin

Postby chrisalddin » Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:41 pm

Pete wrote:

Fortunately the Germans were never in a real position in 1940-42 to launch a cross channel attack, operation Sea Lion would have floundered totally in anything but a mill pond because of the reliance on shallow bottomed barges.

Pete

and we are all realy happy for this point!

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:11 pm

Good stuff Retro. I wonder if the cleric might give Death a lift into town?

Then again, he might tell him to wait for the bus :wink:

Love the Fleetline by the way. I had a couple of Dinky Toy Atlanteans. One was Orange and white, the other a Yellow Pages liveried one with blue seats. They were slightly off scale but looked pretty good on the layout once my dad repainted the orange one green, painted 'Green Line' on the side, put putty over the all wheel trims and painted them green and yellow respectively.

Ah, memories... :)

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

Class 60

Postby Class 60 » Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:27 pm

Good idea with the pillboxes, should look great covered in shrubs and undergrowth :D

retroman

Postby retroman » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:01 pm

Infrontcat wrote:Love the Fleetline by the way. I had a couple of Dinky Toy Atlanteans. Tim

Newport Borough Transport operated Atlanteans on the Newport-Cardiff service when I was a kid ... also MetroScania single-deckers ... I'm looking out for both in 1:76 in NBC green/cream livery ... also operated a sevice to Castleton/Marshfield using these beasts

:D

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”