MARSHFIELD: BR BLUE DIESEL ERA

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
headshot119

Postby headshot119 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:27 pm

retroman wrote:Hi Andy

There is an 'advanced' function on Dynamis, but I just set up a separate adress for a consist then add locos to it via the 'consist' button on the Dynamis console. This seems to work well. Once I've finished running as a pair/triple header I delete the consist, otherwise life gets too complex.

So the dynamis doesn't use CV 29 then.

peak

Postby peak » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:37 pm

retroman wrote.
Sulzer garbage

AAAAAAAGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!
2 trains, 2 railroad tracks, one going the other one coming back. Click Clack, Click Clack.
Regards
Andy

http://www.brblue.co.uk

Rail_Fan 15

Postby Rail_Fan 15 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:58 pm

retroman wrote:
I may upgrade to one of these beauties at some point, with DCC sound .... model by ATLAS USA ... need a spare £200 tho .... :shock: :shock: :shock:

I have one of those and i can tell you its heavy with excellent traction, good detail and the sounds are amazing, over 8 sounds im pretty sure.

It is expensive tho....
Todd 8)

The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

retroman

Postby retroman » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:09 pm

headshot119 wrote:So the dynamis doesn't use CV 29 then.

I've no idea. :?: :?: :?:
1980s 50 and 37 basher. English Electric Roadie ....... Steam sniffers, move along please.

My Layout: MARSHFIELD WITH ELY BRIDGE
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=14241

retroman

Postby retroman » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:05 pm

Various people have asked me for a track plan of MARSHFIELD. I'm not familiar with track planning software, so have to rely upon this rather crude hand-sketched effort.

For clarity, I've highlighted the branch line (which is basically an inner loop) in red.

Hope this helps when you are looking at photos of the layout in future.

1980s 50 and 37 basher. English Electric Roadie ....... Steam sniffers, move along please.

dr5euss

Postby dr5euss » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:30 pm

Last edited by dr5euss on Sun May 22, 2016 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

retroman

Postby retroman » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:42 pm

No it wouldn't make sense: I don't like 100% scenic roundy-roundy layouts, they look too 'train-set'.

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:40 pm

retroman wrote:No it wouldn't make sense: I don't like 100% scenic roundy-roundy layouts, they look too 'train-set'.

but surely if your stood in the middle you can't see it all anyway? and i don;t think your layout will ever look 'trainset'

dr5euss

Postby dr5euss » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:51 pm

Last edited by dr5euss on Sun May 22, 2016 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

mortyfootball

Postby mortyfootball » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:02 pm

Costs money which could be spent on more locos too
Currently on the rails with my camera

retroman

Postby retroman » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:26 pm

My track plan has altered as the layout has evolved. Take a look at my original plan on page 4.

An earlier quote of mine sums up my philosophy:

'I have given a lot of thought to this.

Although its not an exhibition layout, I've decided I can't really bypass the fiddle yard format. Oval layouts, where the trains go endlessly round and around, just aren't realistic IMHO, and this would always bug me. I suppose a model railway is all about creating an illusion, but with an oval plan (unless a section of it is hidden) you can always see that the trains are running in circles. I remember my first 6x4 layout was like this, and I soon tired of it.

Having said all that, I don't want an end-2-end layout where I can't sit back with a beer and watch the trains running. So for now I'd rather have a U-shaped scenic railway with a large fiddle yard for the marshalling and storage of stock, which allows for continuous running.

Of course, I might change my mind in the future and decide to make the whole thing scenic ... I'll see how it goes!'

Eastern
Location: Portland, Oregon. USA - originally from East Anglia

Postby Eastern » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:28 pm

Been reading with interest - when I started out with a model railway again, I wanted to be more detailed and somewhat proto-typical, unfortunately, I regressed to my childhood 6' x 4' era with trains 'chasing ' themselves because I didn't know better! :oops: . After following peoples' layouts - I do see the ideal of having trains actually going somewhere as opposed to going round-and-around... :roll:

This is my layout right now - a little more detailed - but trains still chase themselves :D
but next time it will be with continuous running -
Thanks Retroman - look forward to whatever you do with Marshfield. :)

retroman

Postby retroman » Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:26 pm

I've been fiddling with the station goods yard ... I think that this will be the final plan. There will be a resident shunter stabled at the sidings to the right.

A close up of the PECO goods shed, which allows transfer of frieght from rail to road.

retroman

Postby retroman » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:52 am

My monthly parcel from Hattons has arrived:

This Hornby bubble car was improved with the removal of the hideous old-school couplers and the addition of a driver. Eventually I plan to fit a complete lighting kit with directional lights. I had a terrible job opening the unit up to fit the decoder, not least because the useless Hornby instructions allege that the body is clipped along the side, when actually the lugs are at either end.

I also feel that the wheel flanges are too deep, it makes a bit of a racket on ballasted track. Here the unit calls at MARSHFIELD staff halt.

Platform 2a at MARSHFIELD.

Later in the day on a Cardiff-Chepstow stopper (ignore the indicator blind), whilst a Western-hauled 1Axx blasts through on the Up Fast.

Finally the 1970s bus equivalent of a Class 66 - a Mk1 Leyland National - in the subtle Cardiif Bus livery. The absence of a driver indicates that it's blown up and he has had to go for help at the Port O'Call ....

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:10 pm

Hi Dave

Looooove the Leyland National! I can remember being very young and seeing one complete in dashing red "West Yorkshire" livery aged about 4 or 5 and thinking it was like something from the space age, it sounded so different from all the other buses, lol! I loved the noise it made. To me it sounded like the sort of bus Eval Kneival would drive :lol:

As for the bubble, it looks great Dave, esp in it's bay. Sad to hear of the running probs, but you can't have everything now, can you :)

Cheers fella

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”